Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The idea that you could stop somebody with a semi-automatic rifle with a Taser is laughable.

It's hard enouh trying to stop someone with a knife or other weapon with a taser.

UK Police use two tasers on a man wielding a claw hammer but due to his thick clothing it doesn't work, they resort to using sprays and smacking him with batons, as the police woman in the background screams hysterically. These police have guns but chose to try the Taser as a method of restraint
Good Luck trying to stop someone armed with an AR-15 and intent on murder with a Taser.
You ignored the link that I posted where two 15 year veteran police officers hit nine civilians with friendly fire. What do you think untrained kids would do with assault weapons? Would you want that blood on your hands?

I would prefer them armed with .22 single shot pistols; at least it would be hard for them to be mass murderers. Don't forget for a second that this Florida shooter was a classmate and could have flipped out a long time ago when he was still a student. What I am saying is that every one you arm you have to look at as a possible assailant. Like the Fast and Furious gun that came back to kill one of our border agents.

But then there is the reality that nobody is going to let anybody arm students today; it simply will not happen. So; what are the choices? Training and possibly a less lethal weapon, like a TASER, might be the only options. But there is even a backlash against TASERs because too many people are dying: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1B21AH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
My OP:

No.

It's pretty much self explanatory....

Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why not just lock the student section away from incoming guest, make it impossible to enter that section.
Till someone pulls a fire alarm which unlocks the gates so everyone can get out.

This is a part of what happened in Florida, last week. Reportedly, the District had budgeted almost $ 1 million for a new system given students have a tendency to pull fire alarms because they can.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You ignored the link that I posted where two 15 year veteran police officers hit nine civilians with friendly fire. What do you think untrained kids would do with assault weapons? Would you want that blood on your hands?

I would prefer them armed with .22 single shot pistols; at least it would be hard for them to be mass murderers. Don't forget for a second that this Florida shooter was a classmate and could have flipped out a long time ago when he was still a student. What I am saying is that every one you arm you have to look at as a possible assailant. Like the Fast and Furious gun that came back to kill one of our border agents.

But then there is the reality that nobody is going to let anybody arm students today; it simply will not happen. So; what are the choices? Training and possibly a less lethal weapon, like a TASER, might be the only options. But there is even a backlash against TASERs because too many people are dying: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1B21AH.
Tasers? You haven't heard about Florida LEO's who Tasered out of control 5 year old Kindergarten Girl? I guess they never learned how to do the Basket Wrap on a young child. Far less dangerous, and very easy with training. It is like a hug on your lap.

Truly amazes me.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Reactionary tactics instead of tackling the problem .

Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A teacher with a taser approaching a kid with a shot gun -- hmmm wonder who wins that battle?
Lol. Exactly.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Granted, it's bringing a knife to a gunfight, but face it - teachers are nurturing - not cold-blooded killers, even if it's in defense of their children.

Let's be real. Which is a teacher more likely to choose, (if given a choice,) a firearm or a taser?

Better than nothing, don't you think?
Have no problem with it. Although there is training and techniques to follow that the teachers would have to learn.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Even if you are in the UK which has a largely unarmed police force, if you have an AR-15 the police will not deal with you by use of Taser, they will call an Armed Response Vehicle and you will be met with by officer brandishing Heckler & Koch or SIG Sauer autimatic weapons and Glock 17 pistols.

If the police throughout the world don't deal with armed situations using taser then why would you expect others to do so.

I also don't recall numerous innocent people dying when the police turn up to armed situations in most countries, so perhaps this says a lot about police firearms training in parts of the US - See the Article below.

Why do American cops kill so many compared to European cops?

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-19-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 04:03 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Granted, it's bringing a knife to a gunfight, but face it - teachers are nurturing - not cold-blooded killers, even if it's in defense of their children.

Let's be real. Which is a teacher more likely to choose, (if given a choice,) a firearm or a taser?

Better than nothing, don't you think?
Killing in defense of yourself or a defenseless person in your charge is not "cold-blooded". When I am out and about with my nieces and nephews, I will be the first person to get between them and a bad guy. And since I can't protect them if I'm dead, I will use whatever amount of force necessary to keep from ending up on the losing end of the conflict.

Others will never see what am capable of if they do not start anything. I've made it almost 50 years without even being in a fist fight so I'm definitely not one to start things.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:13 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Have no problem with it. Although there is training and techniques to follow that the teachers would have to learn.
No. I have the same answer with Tasers as I did in another thread (or three) about having teachers carry guns. Just no.

Teachers and administrators lose their **** all the time just setting it down and walking away. Keys, gradebooks, walkie talkies, phones, car keys. Anything portable.

And, just like with guns, there will always be at least a couple kids in the building that will make it their life's goal to get that Taser.

The scariest day I ever had at school, other than the day I confiscated an Uzi a kid had brought in his gym bag, was a fight between 8 or 10 kids when the armed School Resource Officer almost lost his gun. He, all five of our School Security people and a couple other teachers along with me were breaking that fight up. We were all rolling around on the floor, one kid had a set of brass knuckles, pepper spray had been deployed and a kid was able to unlatch the SRO's holster and get the gun half out.

Fortunately one of the other teachers saw it and was able to grab the kid. That teacher had been a Ranger so he knew some additional tricks the rest of us didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies