Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Go ahead folks...waste time arguing with this dude.
And that's different from all the other threads how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No arguments -- just playing along.

You play when you want to play and I'll play when I want to.

gosh you all are real bossy today.
I have conservativitus. It always makes a good liberal become ornery.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And that's different from all the other threads how?
Figure it out. You’ll get it by Christmas.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:27 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
I have conservativitus. It always makes a good liberal become ornery.
How does a dead person become ornery?

just messing around.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Either you are truly naive or trolling. I'll play along.

If you can find an example of a Latino, Asian or Caucasian that has been denied an opportunity in the NBA because of discrimination, i'm sure you will find liberals that will support your cause.

In order to get upset about discrimination or racism you have to prove it exists
In fairness, the very absence of Latino, Asian and Caucasian players is evidence that a bias exists. Therefore you need to set strict quotas to ensure that you are developing and encouraging such players. This isn't my opinion but that of other groups suing over minority opportunity.

I only say this because the NAACP has filed lawsuits against NY magnet schools for not having the proper racial make-up. But here in the metro area I live in, the math competitions are all Pakistani, Indian and Chinese dominated. Hell, my kids were some of the few "white" kids in the top 10. If I go to a basketball or soccer camp etc. it's all the white and black kids.

This puts us in an increasingly uncomfortable minority engagement where Asians (India, China etc.) are over-represented in some fields and blacks less so...but people want social changes to that.

So if that is OK, then challenges to everything like the grammys, NBA, NFL etc. can suddenly claim that the disparities are due to "ability" (due to where effort was applied) because guess what? That's what the tech- disparities are coming from as well.

Basically, you don't get it. You want fair competition for merit in places like the NBA but hey, pesky math test scores and english scores or ability to pass engineering classes etc. shouldn't impact tech jobs?

If you doubt any of this, look up your next area math competition for young kids, and basketball for young kids. Again, this isn't about ABILITY but where FOCUS was applied to develop those skills.

The ONE kid in my kids highschool that could match them mathematically was African American and is studying at MIT. Great kid, worked his BUTT off to get where he is, just like a guy with a killer first step and jump-shot.

It is an egregious LIE to assume that culturally the various ethnic and minority groups in this great country are all putting the same amount of effort into sports and academics and that it call all be sorted out fairly by pigmentation. They're not.

Hey, maybe we cap the number of Jewish scientists working for the government in 1942 while we are at it? We suddenly got a lot of them like Einstein and Oppenheimer. Seems unfair, should have fired them and hired white Americans right?!

Last edited by Mathguy; 02-18-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No the average black guy can't do anything, to say the average black guy is superior just because of NBA players is ridiculous. It's like saying 10 Russians won have won Chess Tournaments, therefore all the other Russians are superior at Chess even though if you took a random American and a random Russia and they played each other it would be anyone's guess who would win.

I'm black and I know two Pakistani guys for 10 years they absolutely smoke me when we play basketball, if I don't train at all, me being black doesn't have any say whether I will be good at basketball. If you took the average black guy in America which take in mind is Overweight (69%) and nearly Obese (47%) and put them up against the average White guy or Asian guy you will see quickly that the run of the mill black guy is likely no better at basketball than your run of the mill Asian or white and is likely worse due to health reasons.
You are soo right. The average black guy isn't better than the average Asian guy at basketball. So then it is racism that there aren't equal Asians in the NBA!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
professional sports are losing their luster.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Go ahead folks...waste time arguing with this dude.
while they may have wandered in swinging a neanderthal club.

They actually raised a pretty debatable argument.

I don't expect you to engage with them, that would be a waste of time, they have a clear agenda.

However, I pose the logical point that assuming all races have the same inherent abilities (more or less) then why are certain races less represented in certain parts of the US economy\sports\academics.

This leads us to how many Asians in the US were the result of filtered US immigration policy aimed at the highly educated. On the same fore-front, US policy towards blacks has been nothing short of dismal.

As such, we have a sports and educational discrepancy that is notable.

Sooo, you see Lebron James drinking sprite and say Steven Chu...who nobody knows about.

Geee, So what sort of message does that send to young kids?

I mean seriously. When an ethnic groups entire success measure is in certain fields IT'S NOT RACIST.

No more so than calling the Kenyan Marathoners or the Norwegian cross-country team racist.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No the average black guy can't do anything, to say the average black guy is superior just because of NBA players is ridiculous. It's like saying 10 Russians won have won Chess Tournaments, therefore all the other Russians are superior at Chess even though if you took a random American and a random Russia and they played each other it would be anyone's guess who would win.

I'm black and I know two Pakistani guys for 10 years they absolutely smoke me when we play basketball, if I don't train at all, me being black doesn't have any say whether I will be good at basketball. If you took the average black guy in America which take in mind is Overweight (69%) and nearly Obese (47%) and put them up against the average White guy or Asian guy you will see quickly that the run of the mill black guy is likely no better at basketball than your run of the mill Asian or white and is likely worse due to health reasons.
The argument isn't about ability, it's about representation.

Look at international sports.

Iran dominates Olympic Wrestling. The US dominates Basketball. Kenya dominates the marathon. China dominates mens gymnastics....Canada is a winter olympics beast and summer olympics lesser so for obvious reasons.

It's ALL ABOUT EFFORT. Unless someone is racist, they must admit that all races share equal abiity to perform physically and academically at the same level. While I personally think thats Bull**** with regards to some physical traits in narrowly defined sporting competitions, for academic stuff I think it's more even.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:25 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Why does anyone assume the goal is really equal representation? The de facto goal is less white representation and as long as whites are not overrepresented and preferably more underrepresented then there's nothing to be concerned about. That's why fields can have 5-6x overrepresentation by a minority group and no one sees it as an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies