Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:23 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,233,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
A legacy of a president cannot be determined in a year. Its apples and oranges. But if it makes the far left feel good, enjoy.

I don't recall the Obama legacy being judged the same way in 2010.
I think Obama is overrated on this poll, but he has the unique advantage of being bracketed by Dubya and Trump, so he’s bound to pick up points by that fact alone.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM

20,393 posts, read 12,283,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I think I understand, but please elaborate...
look, Presidents enact policy and lead the country. they establish direction for foreign policy and deal with crises.

Policy has to play out before you can know its impact.
for instance, the recent tax cuts. its going to take years to understand the impact and economists will fight over it for decades. (See the Regan tax cuts).

Obama found himself stymied by a republican congress that would not advance his agenda via passing laws. So Obama used the power of the office to govern via Executive order (see DACA). some of that was immediately overturned by his predecessor. others like DACA are being fought over in the courts.

There is no way one can put Obama in context until all of that plays out.

Some Presidents leave huge marks on the nation like James Monroe's "Monroe Doctrine".

others have some impact that people think is large while they are president like GHWB and the first Iraq war, but in historical context he was a blip.

others were derided in the 20 or 30 years after their term like Truman, but after 50 years historians view of him has changed.

You can really see that context is important.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM

32,813 posts, read 12,097,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Unfortunately most people still worship the guy and refuse to believe anything negative about him. It really doesn’t matter how dismal he is or how many people end up suffering because of him. Trump supporters run the country and are the sole voice these days. It’s also unlikely to change in 2018 so we have at least three more years of this.
The Republicans don't have a filibuster proof majority in the U.S. Senate.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:27 PM

27,239 posts, read 28,308,556 times
The fact that Trump even advocates building a Mexican border wall puts him in the top 10 U.S. Presidents, in my opinion.

If he actually gets it done, then he will be in the top 5.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,443,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Trump cares ! Bigly!...especially when he finds out Obama is ahead of him !

This is the sort of thing to send him into a Twitter rage or shoot a missile at North Korea.

Is he done with Oprah yet?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM

7,429 posts, read 5,682,435 times
Scholars = Dope Smoking Liberal Hippies that are indoctrinating kids into a mindless belief that the world owes them something for nothing and government will take care of them.

😂

Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM

21,390 posts, read 10,433,357 times
I cringe at Trump's stupid tweets. What the hell is he thinking!?! For that reason, I'd rank him pretty low considering he's a troll president. But try as I might, I can't get that upset that he's there because I know that at least the media and people around him won't let him go too far, and so far his actual performance has been pretty good. I still wish the Deep State would cut his damn twitter feed (or shadow ban it).

Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM

21,431 posts, read 7,369,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is a diarrhea thread. If you are keen on that sort of thing, then that explains your perspective.
What is a diarrhea thread? Would you care to explain?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:43 PM

21,431 posts, read 7,369,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Wow, a survey of scholars, who would have ever thought? You think any of the "scholars" voted for President Trump?
Well educated, rational and thoughtful?

Nah, I doubt they would have voted for a con man. They could not be so naive.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:46 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,571,701 times
I am a history nut who has studied and read countless books and other materials on our history. No doubt - if the Trump admin continues similar to how it is now, he will be among the worst Presidents in History.

And, yes, it does mean something. But not really yet - the measurement does move, but I think we all know (at this point) who Trump is and where this is all heading.

Now....let's say a Democratic "wave" hits and the Congress is controlled by them (both houses) - since Trump stands for nothing, he likely would get along with the Dems and sign a lot of decent bills (that they created). So there is a chance he could rise.

I'm by no means perfect but I knew exactly where GW and Obama were going to sit in the ratings....quite soon after their election. You see, it's really a matter of their reason, logic, intellect and hopes and dreams for the USA. GW simply didn't have the mental capacity to do the job...so he was controlled by warmongers (Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc.).

It was evident that Obama would place in the top 3rd because we did come out of the recession and he did get improved health care started (among many other things).

And, it is quite evident that future books on Trump will skewer him....and that more intelligent citizens of the future won't believe what they are hearing when they watch his speeches. He's the "Adolf Hitler" of our day, although that's giving him too much credit since Hitler had 10X the brains of Don the Con.

I just hope, for all of our sake, that we can get him out of that office before a nuke flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies