Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:26 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well, we know that the most recent school shooter was a member of his high school target team, so...

Yeah, that very same training that so many argue is supposed to reduce the possibility that the gun user will misuse his gun.

'Murica
no, the fact is, lots of kids are properly instructed, but not all kids are mentally disturbed....that is the difference....

the news last night reported he was fixated with guns, how the heck do they know? Because he belonged to a gun club?

I belonged to a gun club, and you know what I did, helped with fund raisers, that didn't mean we were a family fixated with guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Pretty simple then. We disagree.

Agreed.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
I thought it was illegal to bring a gun into a school?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Well, we know that the most recent school shooter was a member of his high school target team, so...

Yeah, that very same training that so many argue is supposed to reduce the possibility that the gun user will misuse his gun.

'Murica

With an air rifle....

Do you know what they taught in this class? Do tell, be specific, lets hear what the teachers taught....

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:

'Murica
So should we ban JROTC programs at schools? Given that this kid was a definite outlier or "one off" should all others be denied those opportunities?

The JROTC marksmanship program used air rifles special-made for target shooting, typically on indoor ranges at targets the size of a coin.

Records show that the Stoneman Douglas JROTC program received $10,827 in non-cash assistance from the NRA’s fundraising and charitable arm in 2016, when Cruz was on the squad. The school’s program publicly thanked the NRA Foundation.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the news last night reported he was fixated with guns, how the heck do they know? Because he belonged to a gun club?
They interviewed people who knew him including the family he was living with, looked at his social media account and the fact he had bought 10 rifles and posted that he wanted to be a school shooter along with all the photos of him with guns.
Quote:
I belonged to a gun club, and you know what I did, helped with fund raisers, that didn't mean we were a family fixated with guns.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the creep in Florida probably wasn't much of a fundraiser.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
They interviewed people who knew him including the family he was living with, looked at his social media account and the fact he had bought 10 rifles and posted that he wanted to be a school shooter along with all the photos of him with guns.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the creep in Florida probably wasn't much of a fundraiser.
No, Joe, I guess he wasn't......

yes, thank you, now that you said something I heard he had a lot of guns, but that still doesn't make anyone a killer, or a a mass killer.

And it's common any more for kids, and young adults to take their pictures with whatever their hobby is and place them on social media.

So, the creep, as you call him, in my book, has severe mental issues.

They say b/c he lost his mother...and father within close proximity of each other. That doesn't cause a kid to go wako and murder others....

I have this huge problem with the fact that he was able to get into that school in the first place, after he was expelled.

there were many human errors here on the part of the school and the police, not to mention the FBI....

with all the gang drive byes, our school leaders and law enforcement need to take calls like that seriously.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So should we ban JROTC programs at schools? Given that this kid was a definite outlier or "one off" should all others be denied those opportunities?

The JROTC marksmanship program used air rifles special-made for target shooting, typically on indoor ranges at targets the size of a coin.

Records show that the Stoneman Douglas JROTC program received $10,827 in non-cash assistance from the NRA’s fundraising and charitable arm in 2016, when Cruz was on the squad. The school’s program publicly thanked the NRA Foundation.
yes, I'm sorry Tiger, but this is the mentality I don't get? Punish everyone for the mistakes of one? How does that make any sense.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
no, the fact is, lots of kids are properly instructed, but not all kids are mentally disturbed....that is the difference....

You belonged to a gun club and yet you've asked repeatedly in this thread "how do kids get guns?"

Well, alrighty then.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
With an air rifle....

Do you know what they taught in this class? Do tell, be specific, lets hear what the teachers taught....
Is shooting an air rifle different than shooting a real gun?
Would the skills learned with an air rifle be applicable to a real gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Thank you for that detail.

Sounds like someone who participates in one of these classes would become quite proficient at hitting a target.

And no, I don't think that these programs should be banned at all.

I just think that people should be a little more thoughtful when throwing around the idea that training by default somehow always translates into proper handling/usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies