Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:17 AM

54,485 posts, read 33,806,093 times

Advertisements

Like many here are saying, when you give them an inch they'll take a mile. Once they start with one type of a weapon, when bans and laws don't work, they'll take the next step to create another ban and restrictions and before you know it, the rights given to us in the 2nd Amendment will be completely gone.

And they say: "They're not going to grab all your guns"... Yeah right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 AM

764 posts, read 233,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here are my suggestions for gun control. They are just suggestions and some would need much further research and some would involve people losing their rights.

End gun free zones. If it's private property the business has a choice to allow firearms or not.

To purchase a firearm regardless of type one has to be 21 years of age. Exceptions are for those in the military or law enforcement, then the minimum would be 18.

Any purchase of a firearm regardless of type either purchased new or secondary sales has to go thru an FFL which gets a call to the NICS. The purchaser is required to have a purchase permit from their local county. In the cases of concealed carry holders they do not need the purchase permit.

No more than 3 firearms per month can be purchased.

Any magazine that is deemed "large capacity" has to be purchased thru an FFL. How we deem large capacity will need to be worked out. For instance a Kel Tec PMR 30 comes standard with a 30 round mag. A full size Glock comes with either a 13 or 15 round mag depending on caliber. Standard size mag for an AR type rifle is 20 , I believe.

Any crime committed with a firearm is an automatic 10 year sentence, no plea bargains, no early parole in addition to whatever time the particular crime gets. Regardless of age.

Any violation of the Federal Firearms laws is an automatic 5 year sentence. Regardless of age. If more than one is broken, the sentence gets added together. There will need to be some exceptions to this. What I'm trying to target is illegal guns being used by teens and felons.

Any person that is diagnosed with mental disorders and are taking drugs to maintain their lives in society do not have the right to purchase a firearm. The disorders would have to be chosen from researching past shootings and what they had. Bi polar, schizophrenia seem to be at the top of the list.

Persons that are prescribed psychotropic medications for the above disorders are required to be drug tested monthly. If they fail the test , they get admitted to a mental hospital until they are medicated and their disorder is under control again.

Stop and frisk gets implemented between midnight and 5am. Regardless of city. This is to try and curb drive bys in the inner cities and contain illegal firearms.

If one has had a personal protection order filed against them , they lose their right to a firearm for 5 years after the order has expired. At that time they need to go up in front of a board to access if they can have their rights returned to them.

Once these are implemented the firearms control debate is done. If a tragedy happens the blame goes to the person , not the tool used. I know many of my suggestions have violated Constitutional rights, but currently that is what the anti gun crowd wants to do anyway. I feel if we violate these rights both sides have come to a compromise and it might actually do something to curb the violence. There are always going to be bad people out there willing to do bad things, so we will never see all violence go away.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to scarabchuck again.

I agree with these changes with exceptions......

Federal standard for concealed carry license. Once obtained it is valid in all 50 states. The renewal time would be negotiated.
Stop and frisk not outlawed, but decided locally.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:35 AM

29,108 posts, read 14,425,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post

Federal standard for concealed carry license. Once obtained it is valid in all 50 states. The renewal time would be negotiated.

I'm good with these exceptions !

Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 AM

764 posts, read 233,484 times
Quote:
I'm good with these exceptions !
It's decided then..........

Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 AM

19,594 posts, read 22,468,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
My logic dictates that 100 years ago we didn't have CNC machines at the disposal of tons and tons of people, not to mention that we are on the cusp of 3D printing with incredibly durable metals and plastics. All of the guns you see today can probably be kept functioning for decades to come, if not literally forever based on todays available technology.
Highly improbable outcome. The sheer number of firearms in active circulation would still drop precipitously based on your assumption.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM

13,552 posts, read 4,858,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Where does it end? It never ends. It will be similar to what happens in nations like the UK. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a pro gun vs anti gun debate. Lets keep on topic, and be honest. The goal is to end all firearms eventually. Don't reply "I am a Democrat and I love my guns, no one is taking them from me". You are a minority my friend, a very small and SHRINKING minority. Shrinking not just in percentage, but in actual numbers.

The path will be.
Registration
Ban Military style rifles
Ban High capacity magazines
Ban All rifles
Ban All handguns
Ban All shotguns except for farmers
Disarmed most police officers
No knives
OK, let's take your example of the UK, since you posted it. Most of what you posted has been done in the UK, except the knives of course, and people there may own rifles and shotguns for sporting purposes. But otherwise it's reality. So what is the result?

"In a population of 56 million, that adds up to about 50 to 60 gun killings annually. In the USA, by contrast, there are about 160 times as many gun homicides in a country that is roughly six times larger in population. There were 8,124 gun homicides in 2014, according to the latest FBI figures." (USA Today)

In other words, UK has a gun homicide rate 1/27th of the US. So gun control seems to be working for them. But what about the downside? We are told that if the US enacts gun control, we will be helpless against foreign invaders, or our own government will turn into a dictatorship that we will be impotent to resist, or criminals will break into our houses with impunity to rape and pillage. Have any of these things come to pass in the UK? Not last I checked.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,091,286 times
Quote:
Here are my suggestions for gun control. They are just suggestions and some would need much further research and some would involve people losing their rights.

End gun free zones. If it's private property the business has a choice to allow firearms or not.

To purchase a firearm regardless of type one has to be 21 years of age. Exceptions are for those in the military or law enforcement, then the minimum would be 18.

Any purchase of a firearm regardless of type either purchased new or secondary sales has to go thru an FFL which gets a call to the NICS. The purchaser is required to have a purchase permit from their local county. In the cases of concealed carry holders they do not need the purchase permit.

No more than 3 firearms per month can be purchased.

Any magazine that is deemed "large capacity" has to be purchased thru an FFL. How we deem large capacity will need to be worked out. For instance a Kel Tec PMR 30 comes standard with a 30 round mag. A full size Glock comes with either a 13 or 15 round mag depending on caliber. Standard size mag for an AR type rifle is 20 , I believe.

Any crime committed with a firearm is an automatic 10 year sentence, no plea bargains, no early parole in addition to whatever time the particular crime gets. Regardless of age.

Any violation of the Federal Firearms laws is an automatic 5 year sentence. Regardless of age. If more than one is broken, the sentence gets added together. There will need to be some exceptions to this. What I'm trying to target is illegal guns being used by teens and felons.

Any person that is diagnosed with mental disorders and are taking drugs to maintain their lives in society do not have the right to purchase a firearm. The disorders would have to be chosen from researching past shootings and what they had. Bi polar, schizophrenia seem to be at the top of the list.

Persons that are prescribed psychotropic medications for the above disorders are required to be drug tested monthly. If they fail the test , they get admitted to a mental hospital until they are medicated and their disorder is under control again.

Stop and frisk gets implemented between midnight and 5am. Regardless of city. This is to try and curb drive bys in the inner cities and contain illegal firearms.

If one has had a personal protection order filed against them , they lose their right to a firearm for 5 years after the order has expired. At that time they need to go up in front of a board to access if they can have their rights returned to them.

Once these are implemented the firearms control debate is done. If a tragedy happens the blame goes to the person , not the tool used. I know many of my suggestions have violated Constitutional rights, but currently that is what the anti gun crowd wants to do anyway. I feel if we violate these rights both sides have come to a compromise and it might actually do something to curb the violence. There are always going to be bad people out there willing to do bad things, so we will never see all violence go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post

I would have no issues with the above.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 AM

34,172 posts, read 18,460,701 times
Take out suicides, and inner city gang violence from the stats, and the U.S. has a lower homicide rate by CRIMINALS using guns than most other countries.

Our guns aren't going anywhere Libs. Maybe start crying about Man Made Global Warming again. LOL!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:10 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,434,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Like many here are saying, when you give them an inch they'll take a mile. Once they start with one type of a weapon, when bans and laws don't work, they'll take the next step to create another ban and restrictions and before you know it, the rights given to us in the 2nd Amendment will be completely gone.

And they say: "They're not going to grab all your guns"... Yeah right!
Paranoia is a symptom of mental disease. Should people that suffer from this condition be allowed to play with guns? I think not.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the media has only covered the horrific parkland murders as an issue about guns, instead of a tragedy that was likely preventable if not for multiple errors made by the government and local authorities.

I don't think presenting this school shooting as a gun issue has moved the ball on the gun ban debate at all. cnn et al showing crying teens has been exploitive of these young people. if anything, the one sided, emotional coverage on the part of the media has sewed more distrust of the media, not changed the debate on gun bans.
I think to an extent you are right. The media isn't as well regarded as it was two decades ago. Trump's questioning of media for disagreeing with him or saying he was wrong has something to do with it. That said I also have issue with fake news like say InfoWars promoting Pizzagate as a real thing or the various conspiracy theories like Parkland crisis actors.

The issue I see is that those with guns or those heavily supporters by the NRA are that so far removed of reality. Did you listen to Florida republicans who voted no to hear the gun bill debate in the state legislature, Trump during his "listening session" or Marco's townhall yesterday, they dodged questions. 19 years ago Collumbine created the first mass school shooting of the internet era. Why haven't laws been enacted in the 19 years to stop any. We haven't seen security budgets expanded for schools, warning signs don't get flagged (local and federal level) and people don't see something say something both as a result or because of some unrelated personal reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies