Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why do you continue to blame the gun.... and not the mentally ill person who did the dirty deed
Because anyone, even a sane evil person, can take an AR and kill numerous people. Just look at the Las Vegas shooter. Deemed just fine and then he kills 58+ concert goers with an assault rifle. Time to limit weapons of virtually mass destruction at the hand of a gun nut.

Sorry, gun afficiando’s, time to man (or woman) up and do the right thing. I know it’s hard to do if you are a selfish person, and don’t care how many kids lose their lives because you don’t want to give up your “hobby.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:55 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Overall I agree with what you are proposing.

My responses are in red.
I like your responses, and understand the slight changes. The reason for the stop the stop and frisk is to put a stop to drive by's and car jackings
A tinted out Escalade rolling on 30's thru the hood at 3:30am , going 10mph is most likely up to no good. And the group of teens hanging outside a gas station /party store at 5:00am are most likely looking to jack someone.
Here's the thing, someone is going to have their rights violated, there is just no way to make progress without it.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:57 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
People don’t commit suicide with an AR-15.

I am not for a total ban. But assault type rifles need to go. They can kill way too many people in a matter of minutes. Sorry, some toys you people cannot have. Maybe those who insist on having them need to consider someone besides themselves.
Who the hell are you to decide what anyone should have for any lawful purpose? Maybe those who insist on banning them and criminalizing law abiding people just to placate their unwarranted fears need to consider someone besides themselves?

A container filled with gasoline a rag and a match killed 87 people in the Happyland Fire in 1990. I have this inordinate fear of fire. Should we then ban all flammable liquids? Some people have an inordinate fear of drowning. Should we ban all swimming pools? How 'bout a fear of getting into a traffic accident or getting hit by a vehicle? Should we ban all vehicles? A fear of getting stabbed. Should we ban all knives? A fear of getting strangled. Should we ban all cords? A fear of having someone sneak up on you and slash your throat with a box cutter. Should we ban all boxcutters?

It's been proven that semi auto rifles are used in a very small percentage of crimes even the vociferously anti gun VOX admits this:

Quote:
In 2014, 248 people were killed by rifles. Rifles would include “assault weapons”. Thus, more people are killed by knives than by assault weapons. Indeed, more than twice as many people are killed by “hands, fists, feet, etc.” than by assault weapons. (Some of these numbers could change slightly with “Firearms, type not stated” although most of these are probably handguns)--http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2016/06/fbi-homicide-data-by-weapon.html.
Quote:
‘Assault’ rifles are not involved in many U.S. murders: A look at the data.---http://blogs.marketwatch.com/capitolreport/2013/01/16/assault-rifles-are-not-involved-in-many-u-s-murders-a-look-at-the-data/
Quote:
Banning assault weapons won't solve America's gun problem - Vox
http://www.vox.com/2015/12/11/988686...-weapons-solve
Jun 17, 2016 ... So if we're talking about banning guns or certain features of guns, what we really need to talk about is all guns — regardless of how they look. .... In fact, when we look at the percentage of homicides caused by a rifle of any kind — much less a semi-automatic assault rifle — it comes out to about 2 percent, ...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:57 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I like your responses, and understand the slight changes. The reason for the stop the stop and frisk is to put a stop to drive by's and car jackings
A tinted out Escalade rolling on 30's thru the hood at 3:30am , going 10mph is most likely up to no good. And the group of teens hanging outside a gas station /party store at 5:00am are most likely looking to jack someone.
Here's the thing, someone is going to have their rights violated, there is just no way to make progress without it.
I just don't want to be on the receiving side when someone decides that we as a people no longer need any of our constitutional rights. That is never a good thing for all of the people involved.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:58 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Ah, the good old "strongman" fallacy.

I would be free to defend my property any way I see fit, with any weapon I choose, if my property rights were violated.

Where you and I differ is that I believe strongmen are inherently the creation of the State; therefore, without a State there would be no strongman. As utopias do not exist, nothing would be perfect; however, Mises taught us in Human Action that people do voluntarily cooperate when they have broken the shackles of the State. Just look at how people come together to help one another after a natural disaster; sure, there are some idiots that act like animals, but for the most part people voluntarily help out their communities. In a completely voluntarist society every action between people would be consensual.

p.s. The State doesn't respect property rights either; hence property taxes and eminent domain.
But without law enforcement, gangs would be coming out of the woodwork to invade your home, kidnap you and who knows what. Criminals and strongmen are created by human nature, no state required. There are always more of them where the state is weak or non-existent.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The AR IS a weapon of death, just ask the survivors of the Parkland school shooting. Do you EVER watch the national news.
And so are the hundreds of other guns on the market, when the end user decides to use them in that way. Does anyone have a rational thought anymore ?

Are you aware that more people are killed by knife annually than by the evil AR ?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Anarcho-capitalism--libertarianism taken to it's logical conclusion.
Not really.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There's no such thing as an absence of State. In an absence of state you have one or more strongmen running things.

I love the idea of small government....

I love it so much that I feel a rush of blood going south at the thought if it.

But the complete absence of government equals the complete absence of a country.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I have yet to see a case where anybody exercising their 2A right and defending themselves with a gun, against the cops, ever works out with them walking away free, if even alive.
Ray Shetler Jr. not guilty in deadly police officer shooting | TribLIVE

I can show quite a few cases.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Ah, the good old "strongman" fallacy.

I would be free to defend my property any way I see fit, with any weapon I choose, if my property rights were violated.

Where you and I differ is that I believe strongmen are inherently the creation of the State; therefore, without a State there would be no strongman.
It's easy to defend an idea based upon a fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies