Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM

858 posts, read 705,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No fly list? It’s easier to flush the constitution down the toilet.

Two words for you: due process. Now go study before you rant in NRA again.
So what's your suggestion to make sure people with mental health don't get guns? I would think it would look and act similar to a no fly list. someone/somewhere categorizes a person as a threat and now that person't can't buy a gun. What is wrong with that? that person can then argue their competency and get removed from the list. Seems list a fair compromise to allow healthy law abiding people to buy guns but put an extra check in place for those that get flagged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,472,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
My brother was puton the no-fly list once for no reason at all. He didn't breal the law or anything. Not saying the database is commonly wrong, just it happens every once in a while. As for being drunk on an airline, it depends how drunk someone is. If they start being a problem other than being sick, then I can fully understand them on the No Fly List.
Right, you get what I'm saying with the no fly list though...
It's fast and loose...

Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,472,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We can't go back now and I support the 2nd Amendment, But it's kind of hard to argue that guns are the reason this mass shootings of schools and churches is almost exclusive to the US where guns are so prominent.. Unless you are prepared to argue that mental illness is exclusive to the US as well..
I would only argue that those 2 places are gun free zones...

Old 02-25-2018, 02:49 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
So what's your suggestion to make sure people with mental health don't get guns? I would think it would look and act similar to a no fly list. someone/somewhere categorizes a person as a threat and now that person't can't buy a gun. What is wrong with that? that person can then argue their competency and get removed from the list. Seems list a fair compromise to allow healthy law abiding people to buy guns but put an extra check in place for those that get flagged.
Dude, that’s already done. Please go check the law. People with mental illness can’t get firearms since 1968.

I see you still haven’t read anything about due process.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-26-2018 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-25-2018, 02:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,791,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Right, you get what I'm saying with the no fly list though...
It's fast and loose...
My brother had to check with something and got off of it. I forget the ins and outs, it was 11 years ago and I wasn't there. That said, if there is an appeal process that can truly vet non-violent mentally ill like the accidential no flys, I have no problem with it.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,191,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Mental health and any possible solutions is not within the NRAs 'scope' though. They are in place to protect our rights to own and obtain weapons.

Let the people and groups that specialize in mental health come up with solutions.
What a cop-out.

The NRA's 'scope' is to bribe politicians and carry water for the gun industry.

They cannot contribute to the solution because they are major part of the problem.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:00 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,680,270 times
Keep all the guns you want. Ban the bullets.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 02-25-2018 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-25-2018, 03:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
So one of NRA's talking points is that it's not the Gun that kills people, it's the people who have the gun and that we should be focusing on mental health. Gotcha...so let's talk specifics. I'd be interested to what NRA supports and how it would get implemented.

I think we can all agree that this kid is mentally unstable. The warning signs were all there. His mom called the cops of him..neighbors called the cops...i think it was 23 times in total over the years. He was reported to the school, reported to the FBI, etc. Again, the signs were there however he really never committed any crime. At what point does the NRA feel this kid should have been on a list or failed a background check? Should these events have triggered a mental health examination where the results get shared into a background check DB? Should there be a mental health exam when purchasing a gun?

Given NRA's history of fighting to allow people on the no-fly list to purchase guns or saying that people deemed mentally unfit by a court should still be allowed to buy guns, what exactly does NRA propose to do in this situation?
Hmmm....Cops were called 23 times...he was reported to the police and reported to the FBI...and you're asking what the NRA thinks should be done.

I see.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,629,096 times
They are the problem, they are all mentally unhealthy.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:07 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,341,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
More guns for everyone!!!! That is their normal reply.
Spoken like a true anti gun zealot. You've clearly never heard a word from the NRA.

If the NRA did have a proposal about mental health you people would be jumping on them for not being mental health professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies