Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
All the gov't has to do is refuse to recognize any marriages.

People can then go get married in whatever church they want.

Never understood why people flock to get gov't approval of who they have sex and live with.
Really you never did? Did you file taxes? Did you ever try to get insurance for your significant other? Come on, I don't even want to keep typing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Marriage is and will always be between a man a woman. Never between two women or two men or any other combination. It is an abomination.
So is shellfish and bacon, yet no one is trying to close down red lobster, or trying to ban bacon cheese burgers. I wonder why?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The South stereotypes themselves. You couldn't do a better self parody if you tried. Seriously, who would believe that an entire region of a modern Western country in the year 2018 is home to millions of anti-gay bigots, many 'very fine" white supremacists that love statues of racists and traitors and a child molester that almost became Senator.
Being prejudiced against white people with a twang, still counts as prejudice. For someone who seems to abhor xenophobia, you seem to have written off an entire region of our country pretty resolutely. Southerners cook better chicken (and barbeque), sing sweeter songs and play better football than anyone else in this country, they are also not all as you describe. So to act like they bring nothing to the table is some hypocritical fake ass liberal crap.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
You make an awful lot of assumptions. Don't.
That you think that individual couples can make a contract that is the legal equivalent of marriage is EVIDENCE that you don't understand the legal implications of marriage. No assumptions necessary.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
In any state legislature, far more bills get filed than ever even get a hearing.

Depending on who the legislative sponsors are, this bill might get a hearing. But I'd bet that's as far as it will get.

Any excuse to stir up the troops...

They have nothing else to run on in 2018 and seem to be getting more and more desperate.

Digging up dead issues like same-sex marriage, scary looking weapons and #(Ihatemen) indicates a Democratic Party that hasn't learned a thing from their latest thrashing.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
All the gov't has to do is refuse to recognize any marriages.

People can then go get married in whatever church they want.

Never understood why people flock to get gov't approval of who they have sex and live with.
It's for the various benefits of marriage, of course.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Baptist Taliban is at it again, this time in South Carolina. A bill was filed to outlaw same-sex marriage despite the SCOTUS decision in 2015. They also have the nerve to say it's "upholding separation of church and state" because it's separating the state from the "religion of secular humanism."

https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...e8698a8a4.html
In today's news: South Carolina Republicans still have their heads stuck very deep inside of their butts!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So is shellfish and bacon, yet no one is trying to close down red lobster, or trying to ban bacon cheese burgers. I wonder why?
I like me some pork!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
They have nothing else to run on in 2018 and seem to be getting more and more desperate.

Digging up dead issues like same-sex marriage, scary looking weapons and #(Ihatemen) indicates a Democratic Party that hasn't learned a thing from their latest thrashing.
????? We are talking about a Republican-sponsored bill.

Seems to me it's the GOP in this case that is out-of-touch.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
????? We are talking about a Republican-sponsored bill.

Seems to me it's the GOP in this case that is out-of-touch.
One thing I don't really understand about Republicans...is why don't they seem more embarrassed by all the crazy people?

On the left, there are people who I could imagine strongly disagreeing with, but none of them in the government are actually insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies