Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
It s the parts that make up a whole.
And when someone in substantial power over others does a whole lotta selfserving lying deflecting,ignoring,misspelling,misquoting,namecal ling,cyberbullying, labeling,golfing and spending other peoples money...while RUNNING AWAY FROM fulfilling their oath of Office...they don't get to be compared to Churchill.
Exactly right. Not even mentioned in the same breath.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
It s the parts that make up a whole.
And when someone in substantial power over others does a whole lotta selfserving lying deflecting,ignoring,misspelling,misquoting,namecal ling,cyberbullying, labeling,golfing and spending other peoples money...while RUNNING AWAY FROM fulfilling their oath of Office...they don't get to be compared to Churchill.
Except tbat Churchill did all of those things himself, which does make him comparable. Even more comparable, in fact, thanks to you providing the additional features that they share.

Except the cyberbullying, of course. Churchill was known for his Commonwealth-wide radio broadcasts, which were an enormously big deal during WWII. However, you never know. Churchill was reputed to have been rather Mercurial and he may very well have been a big fan of using Twitter, if they had it back then.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Thanks for my biggest laugh of the day (so far).

For a more interesting comparison, I'm providing a Wikipedia link. Please note the vast amount of experience Churchill had, as compared to Trump, who had none.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill

Old 02-22-2018, 02:49 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Churchill?

Churchill stood up to his nation's foreign adversary. Trump praises and placates our foreign adversary.

Churchill's speeches sent a chill up your spine. Trump's sends the bile rising in your throat.

Churchill's insults even put Trump's to shame.

Quote:
The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor: She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison,' and he said, 'If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about." - Winston Churchill

Repartee and Insults
Trump is far closer to Neville Chamberlain than he ever will be to Churchill.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
America had a great leader in Franklin. D. Roosevelt during WW2, indeed Roosevelt and Churchill had a great friendship.

I don't think Trump can be compared to either of these men, both of whom helped save the world from forces of pure evil.

Allies Sculpture – London, England - Atlas Obscura

Visit Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial on your trip to London - Inspirock

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-22-2018 at 05:29 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Churchill?

Churchill stood up to his nation's foreign adversary. Trump praises and placates our foreign adversary.

Churchill's speeches sent a chill up your spine. Trump's sends the bile rising in your throat.

Churchill's insults even put Trump's to shame.

Trump is far closer to Neville Chamberlain than he ever will be to Churchill.
Churchill--"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." Trump--"No collusion, no collusion."

Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
You are correct on theRoosevelt character traits you highlight. I commented strictly on how the media portrayed him at the time. His gruff, direct, for the times, abrasive style. Which are both accurate and a fare comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Teddy Roosevelt was well-read, a veteran, a patriotic American, a conservationist and a lover of the natural world, a faithful husband and loving and devoted father, and so much more than you credit him with being.

Donald Trump is none of the above.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:24 AM

Snippet of a quote and not in synch with the actuality of how Roosevelt acted politically on the stump and the public main. He was revered by his supporters, but also considered a loose cannon by many, both supporters and his political opponents, of which there are many. I cannot think of another presidential candidate who tore his own party apart for the sake of his own attempted reelection and agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Just who was it who famously said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick"?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Churchill v. Trump? Anyone with a 3 digit IQ knows the answer.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 AM

Quite right, I am pointing out one personality trait. None, none are the sum of the whole, rather of the many, many facets. Caricatures are your intellectual enemy.

Temperament? Then, any reading of either the volatile Mr Roosevelt or Mr Churchill would cause them to be dismissed, out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
blah blah blah. In the end what you want to do is pick out one single thing, rather then the whole. I could argue that Trump has far more in common with oh say....Hitler or some other great evil, and probably manage that by cherry picking the comparisons.
And the title? The Churchillian mr trump? Sorry, but when thats the topic at hand, its not "some small individual thing that they have in common", its "this is why trump is very much like Churchill. Which requires a larger comparison. And when the OP starts the discussion they use words like temperament. And in point of fact, its that very subject that I posted about. His temperament.

So please, lets talk about the topic, not some goal post moved cherry picked comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies