Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A wild guess...watch for Devin Nunes' name to pop up somewhere
I was thinking the same thing, given the news about Rohrabacher in Gates' guilty plea today.

There has to be a reason that Nunes has become the President's enthusiastic bag boy.

However, I think this *may* turn out to be about much more than GOP congresspeople and presidents. Manafort's consulting company had clients on both sides of the aisle, and obviously, news that he had former European leaders working for him raises new questions about how they may have been influenced during their terms in office as well.

As I said earlier, if you are serious about draining the swamp in DC, then you should be rooting for Mueller and his team.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-23-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Rachel Maddow tonight is great show connecting the dots between Manafort and a Russian oligarch named Derapaska--
Watch it online if you don't normally watch/DVR it at home

I think a Russian connected to one of Manafort's gofers in the Ukraine/Russian dealings--the money Derapaska thought Manafort owed him (19MM) -- might be Man A in the van der Zwaan document

Watch it--complicated explanation especially with the names but Rachel has good research and she shows the sources for the info on the screen...
Adam Schiff certainly thinks the road to Trump might go through Rick Gates from his time on the campaign in high position and into the transition and after when he had job with pro Trump lobby as reward for acting as Manafort's bag man
Gates was seen at the WH as late as this January...

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"I had hoped and expected my business colleague would have had the strength to continue the battle to prove our innocence. For reasons yet to surface he chose to do otherwise." Manafort.

For reasons yet to surface?

How about not wanting to spend the next several decades behind bars?
There is a widespread belief that Trump made Billions laundering Russian oligarch money using Manafort as his go-between. Gates was Manafort's assistant, so where Manafort went, so did Gates.

Manafort was once Trump's business partner in the 80s. They go back at least that far, and both are the same age and are from New York.

Gates is 45, with young children Facing 30 years in federal prison is different for a younger man than it is one in his 70s, especially when the younger man thinks about his kids. Gates is probably nowhere as wealthy as Paul Manafort either.

Manafort was charged with 13 additional felonies yesterday, adding onto the other, older, felony charges. Income tax evasion alone could put him in prison for 10-15 years; by the time he got out, he would be in his 90s.

Mueller is just taking this investigation to the end, no matter where it goes or not, and no matter who gets caught or not. So far, he has said nothing at all about Donald Trump, so none of us know whether the investigation will touch him or not.

Trump himself has repeatedly said there's nothing he's done that can harm him, so for the time being, I take him at his word. I think anyone with half a brain would be careful enough messing around with the Russians to give himself some personal protection.

Of all of his associates, Paul Manafort is probably the least likely to buckle of them. He would not be the first to sacrifice his life for his boss. That's an old New York tradition in some of its circles.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Rachel Maddow tonight is great show connecting the dots between Manafort and a Russian oligarch named Derapaska--
Watch it online if you don't normally watch/DVR it at home

I think a Russian connected to one of Manafort's gofers in the Ukraine/Russian dealings--the money Derapaska thought Manafort owed him (19MM) -- might be Man A in the van der Zwaan document

Watch it--complicated explanation especially with the names but Rachel has good research and she shows the sources for the info on the screen...
Adam Schiff certainly thinks the road to Trump might go through Rick Gates from his time on the campaign in high position and into the transition and after when he had job with pro Trump lobby as reward for acting as Manafort's bag man
Gates was seen at the WH as late as this January...
I've been watching it. The emails between mana fort and the Ukraine lieutenant were wild. Flat out influence peddling.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I've been watching it. The emails between mana fort and the Ukraine lieutenant were wild. Flat out influence peddling.
That's what is starting to really p*ss me off about all of this. Realizing that I voted for Presidential candidates who Manafort was acting as an "unpaid" adviser to while being paid by dictators to influence those candidates.

By the way, CNN did an in-depth look at Robert Mueller's entire career tonight. Anyone who wants to smear Mueller should watch it. He is the true hero in all of this. I just hope he stays in business long enough to finish the job.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
That's what is starting to really p*ss me off about all of this. Realizing that I voted for Presidential candidates who Manafort was acting as an "unpaid" adviser to while being paid by dictators to influence those candidates.

By the way, CNN did an in-depth look at Robert Mueller's entire career tonight. Anyone who wants to smear Mueller should watch it. He is the true hero in all of this. I just hope he stays in business long enough to finish the job.
If trump has exposure I think financial corruption is more likely than collusion.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
If trump has exposure I think financial corruption is more likely than collusion.
Agree.

Puts a new spin on refusing to provide his tax returns, doesn't it?

Still room for obstruction of justice though.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:16 PM

I can't help wondering how this might tie in to the recent revelations about Gates/Manafort:

White House Told Kushner’s Security Clearance Will Be Delayed

The Justice Department informed the White House this month that there were substantial issues related to Jared Kushner that still needed to be investigated and would significantly delay a recommendation on whether he should receive a permanent security clearance, according to two people briefed on the matter.

---

The Justice Department doesn't usually play a role in deciding security clearances. The Office of Person Management (OPM) usually makes that decision.

Mueller, of course, reports to the DOJ.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:32 PM

A bit more on the issues with Jared Kushner's security clearance that seems to tie into the Manafort probe:

Rosenstein warns WH of new information about Jared Kushner that could further complicate his path to a full security clearance

The Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein called the White House earlier this month to inform general counsel Donald McGahn that new, "significant information" related to Kushner needed further investigation.

---

Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
A bit more on the issues with Jared Kushner's security clearance that seems to tie into the Manafort probe:

Rosenstein warns WH of new information about Jared Kushner that could further complicate his path to a full security clearance

The Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein called the White House earlier this month to inform general counsel Donald McGahn that new, "significant information" related to Kushner needed further investigation.

---
Mana fort probably set up the meet between that banker that was under u.s. Sanctions and kushner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies