Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:37 PM

977 posts, read 566,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Ah yes... the Evil NRA.... an organization that exists because regular Americans join and pay an annual fee to insure the NRA represents their views to politicians...

Millions upon Millions of individual Americans....
Didn't you get the memo? The NRA is an all-powerful, evil cabal that truly runs the entire world. ANYTHING that the NRA doesn't approve of cannot possibly happen. Even when the Dems had 60 Senators, a House majority, and the Presidency (yeah, I know, ancient history; that was over EIGHT YEARS AGO!!!), in addition to any gun legislation, the NRA blocked the Dems from passing universal health care, legislation legalizing gay marriage, increases in taxes on evil rich people, and any kind of comprehensive immigration reform. Apparently the NRA also designed a new health care bill that would tank the popularity of the Dems as it created increasing premiums for lesser health care policies all the while mandating that people purchase them.

The NRA also killed four Americans in Libya, led an insurgency against American troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, crashed airplanes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, and generally is the root cause of all evil and will undoubtedly one day be recognized as the Anti-Christ.

Or...... perhaps the NRA is just one lobbying group out of many. While it is influential, perhaps it is influential because there are a large number of Americans who agree with the policies favored by the NRA? Nah, that can't be right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Look at the last sentence. "16 of which" modifies the first part.
Yes, and the first part was the TOTAL of five per month.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Didn't you get the memo? The NRA is an all-powerful, evil cabal that truly runs the entire world.<>
I read a little history you might enjoy:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.51e9f793f766

This actually surprised me, and I was married to a life member back in 1980.
History teaches us nothing if it teaches us nothing.:Pogo

Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I read a little history you might enjoy:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.51e9f793f766

This actually surprised me, and I was married to a life member back in 1980.
History teaches us nothing if it teaches us nothing.:Pogo

Your link is useless without a subscription.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Your link is useless without a subscription.
Hmmf. Maybe you reached your limit of views. Herewith a few quotes:

In the early 1930s, with gangsters like John Dillinger mowing down his enemies with machine guns on the streets, Congress held hearings on a sweeping proposal to severely restrict firearm sales.

The testimony of one man — now all but forgotten — stood out.

“I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons,” said Karl T. Frederick, according to a transcript of the hearings. “I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses.”

Frederick’s words were notable then, and especially now, because of who he was: the president of the National Rifle Association.

The effort to pass the National Firearms Act of 1934 is a case in point. Pushed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the original proposal called for registering, taxing and severely restricting access not just to machine guns and sawed off shotguns, but pistols as well. Frederick was willing to deal on the big guns, but not the small ones.

During the hearing, in arguing against fingerprinting gun owners, Frederick testified that “automobile owners are not fingerprinted and are, as a class, a much more criminal body, from the standpoint of percentage, than pistol licensees.”
The chairman of the committee: “Do you make that statement seriously?”

Frederick: “Yes, sir.”

The chairman: “That the ordinary man who owns and operates an automobile is more likely to be a criminal than the man who arms himself?”

Frederick: “I said pistol licensees, those who have gone to the trouble of securing a license to carry weapons, are a most law-abiding body, and the perpetration of a crime by such a licensee is almost unknown.”

Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
When I first read your title, I thought it said, "Hillary made a meth error."

Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
She meant 16 out of 230. The way she wrote it, it's like she's saying 16 out of 5. It's just a grammar error, not a math error.
It's not even a grammatical error - just not a well-constructed sentence.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's not even a grammatical error - just not a well-constructed sentence.
. . . and which most people should be able to understand.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Hillary posted this to her Facebook on Feb. 16:

This week we lost 17 Americans in Parkland - the deadliest school shooting since Sandy Hook in 2012. Since then, 438 people have been shot and 138 killed in over 230 school shootings. That’s 5 school shootings every month, 16 of which classify as “mass shootings.”

Are her math and grammar correct? It looks as if she's saying 16 is less than 5.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/hillaryc...=page_internal
The only thing that is off here is that some people actually listen to that lying, bigoted, war monger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies