Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What are the odds of being killed by an automatic weapon? 100% if you're one of the 17 kids at Parkland, or the 6 year olds at Sandy Hook.
And the odds of being killed by tripping over a skunk are 100% if you are that person killed by tripping over a skunk. What's your point?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Odds don't matter.

Just review how many have been killed in the past yr with an assault rifle...so many rounds in such a short time period allows more to be murdered than if using a pistol.

Kids are SCARED TO ATTEND SCHOOL....focus on that.
Kids are only scared to attend school because of the constant media coverage that is disproportionate to more common threats to your life. It's the media freaking out the parents and the parents freaking out the kids.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Tell that to the families of Virginia Tec, Sandy Hook, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Columbine, Umpqua Community College, Red Lake, etc, etc, etc.

People like you are so cavalier with the lives of others until it happens to you. Less guns equals less gun deaths... it ain’t rocket science.
Sure I'd tell them. What happened to them is tragic but no more tragic than the family that lost a child to a DUI RTA, or a recent mother discovering she has terminal breast cancer, or even 95 year old grandpa who's in the final stages of Alzheimers.

There's a lot more kids killed by DUI, mom's learning they're terminal breast cancer patients, and grandparents dying of Alzheimers. Than school kids killed in mass shootings.

Less guns may mean less gun deaths (but it's not guaranteed), but does not mean less homicide for reference see UK homicide rate 1967-2017. So yes apparently the stats may as well be rocket science to you.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
And the odds of being killed by tripping over a skunk are 100% if you are that person killed by tripping over a skunk. What's your point?
My point is exactly what I stated. Too many people have died at the hands of these assault weapons.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think they want to deflect from the real reason these events happen. I have one question for all those students marching to the capitals to get guns banned. Have you ever been rude, condescending, made fun of, thrown off on, etc. anyone you see on a daily basis? Do you consider yourself better than any of your classmates. If so, you need to change your attitude before you start taking away the rights of others. I have noticed most shooters are a product of rejection and social isolation.
Some kids are bullied, others are just psychopaths, and nobody really knows how to fix that. So calling for that situation to be fixed before doing anything else is basically the same thing as saying, "Do nothing."

Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Kids are only scared to attend school because of the constant media coverage that is disproportionate to more common threats to your life. It's the media freaking out the parents and the parents freaking out the kids.
Yeah, the media is freaking out the parents. Nothing to do with them losing their kids to gun violence.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
All guns are Assault Weapons. They pretty much.do the same damage. The AR-15 uses a smaller bullet, compared to a .44 or the .45 hand gun, but the AR-15 uses a lot more gun powder, so it is a faster bullet once fired.

Hand guns are more deadly then any Rifle type of guns.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Sure I'd tell them. What happened to them is tragic but no more tragic than the family that lost a child to a DUI RTA, or a recent mother discovering she has terminal breast cancer, or even 95 year old grandpa who's in the final stages of Alzheimers.

There's a lot more kids killed by DUI, mom's learning they're terminal breast cancer patients, and grandparents dying of Alzheimers. Than school kids killed in mass shootings.
These are the words of wisdom you would bestow on them? Seriously?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
This is a research project for people that want to get rid of them. What are the odds of being killed in America with an automatic weapon and what are the odds of dying by cancer, car wrecks, heart disease, etc.... ALOT more people are killed by normal guns. My point is that way too much attention and effort is being put towards something that probably isn't even a top 100 cause of death in America. Why!!??
What are the odds in this country of actually needing a gun to defend oneself in his or her lifetime? It is much more common to have used a gun for sporting activities or hobbies. However, the overarching argument against gun control is that it infringes on the right to self defense. Why?

I don't even pretend to know, but deep down I suspect the answer to both your question and mine is the same.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
What are the odds in this country of actually needing a gun to defend oneself in his or her lifetime? It is much more common to have used a gun for sporting activities or hobbies. However, the overarching argument against gun control is that it infringes on the right to self defense. Why?

I don't even pretend to know, but deep down I suspect the answer to both your question and mine is the same.
I asked a similar question 4 pages back. I restricted it to assault weapons. What are the odds you will require an assault weapon to defend yourself. I got no replies from the stats gurus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies