Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
It is funny and sad to me, the level of ignorance and the hysterical thinking of the "progressive" crowd on here and all around this great country.

You carry on like it's such a burden and imposition to ask a few teachers to help protect their students. I've got news for you, teachers have been doing just that since the founding of our great nation and before.

I saw a comment about teachers unions being against the idea, who cares, teachers unions are communist infested blackmail machines.

There are a lot of "whacko", "sicko" people in this country, there are more and more every day, and thanks to the fact that our mental health system is a complete failure, again thanks to the "progressives", more and more are walking the street. BUT, they are crazy and not stupid. If they want to slaughter a bunch of kids, or make some kind of name for themselves, they go where they think they won't get shot.

Anyway, I wonder how this country turned into such a hopeless communist mess.
Arming and continuously training the Nation's 3.2 million teachers and fortifying its 90,000 schools in order to try to prepare them for a broad range of once-in-a-lifetime events would be ruinously expensive.

In Oklahoma, for example, teachers make less than $39,000 per year on average, funding per pupil has dropped 30% since 2008 and schools have been forced to revert to a 4 day school week for budgetary reasons. The Federal Government has just cut tax exemptions for school supplies and is looking to eliminate student loan forgiveness. Where are these funds coming from? The sky?

But yes, lets embark on a spendthrift crusade to flood our nation with more firearms rather than discuss sensible gun control policy like literally every other developed country on Earth has done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Israel is in a war zone, do you want our schools to use that as a model.
If it works, yes.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Arming and continuously training the Nation's 3.2 million teachers and fortifying its 90,000 schools in order to try to prepare them for a broad range of once-in-a-lifetime events would be ruinously expensive.

In Oklahoma, for example, teachers make less than $39,000 per year on average, funding per pupil has dropped 30% since 2008 and schools have been forced to revert to a 4 day school week for budgetary reasons. The Federal Government has just cut tax exemptions for school supplies and is looking to eliminate student loan forgiveness. Where are these funds coming from? The sky?

But yes, lets embark on a spendthrift crusade to flood our nation with more firearms rather than discuss sensible gun control policy like literally every other developed country on Earth has done.
Not to mention the liability to the district in the event a teacher inadvertently shoots an innocent child.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If it works, yes.
It doesn't address the cause and as indicated in the post above yours the cost would be prohibitive. We have schools in Oklahoma and Kansas that are scraping by with their budgets laying off teachers and we are going to spend money to make our schools into prisons. This is just a diversion, no one actually believes this will take place.

A large majority of police officers never even use their guns throughout their careers, why do you think that this would make a difference with teachers.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I would like to make a point regarding the above that I feel is being overlooked. I do not feel that the main benefit of armed staff is that they will be there in an emergency, although that is a great benefit.

The absolute main benefit of adults being armed in school is just the knowledge that schools are no longer gun free zones.
I agree with this statement. To take if further, only teachers and staff that want to participate and have undergone adequate training should be allowed to possess a firearm on school property.

One MAJOR concern I have is that I have not seen much discussion on how those firearms would be secured. I certainly would not want to provide students additional access to firearms.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 02-22-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,377 times
This will be a bad idea.

"Armed teacher" is expected to be a gun fighter. Do you think a normal teacher is capable of engage in a gunfight in school crowded with students?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Because Mass shooters, serial killers, ect...., as crazy as they are, tend to pick soft targets. How often do they people blow into a police station and start shooting?? Its always churches, schools, gay clubs,or Non- combat military bases where the soldiers are not armed.
Actually, they always pick the place where the people are they want to kill. There's no evidence they pick "gun free zones" especially since the schools they choose often already have armed SROs.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
This will be a bad idea.

"Armed teacher" is expected to be a gun fighter. Do you think a normal teacher is capable of engage in a gunfight in school crowded with students?
I think they do actually. They'll tell you not every teacher should be armed, but then what happens when by some odd (and bad) luck, there's no armed teachers at the school the day a shooter decides to shoot there? I think more armed guards in uniforms is a better idea.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
What I realize with folks who believe guns will protect you is that most of em have never shot at another human being. That's why I ignore them; they aren't qualified to have an opinion.
I might agree with you in some cases, but this has gained so much traction that the President is now tweeting how great of an idea it is. SMH

Old 02-22-2018, 08:44 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
"Armed teachers and staff" sounds like a reasonable idea only in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies