Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
true story.

years ago, I was in Israel. Got in a cab. Cab driver had an M-16 sitting on the seat beside him. He was a reservist on duty that week.

went to the Dead Sea. There was a family there. They were swimming and grilling and having a good time. Dad was manning the grill with an actual assault weapon (military grade M-16) hanging on his shoulder.

Israel has strict gun laws and at the same time is armed to the teeth. so lets not pretend that this is some kind of an unarmed nation.
IF you are in the military you take your weapon with you. If you are not in the military you have to show a need to get a permit which has to be renewed every three years. I never said that Israel was an un armed country, only that they have much stricter gun ownership laws than we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Why not go back to the days of the old west and allow anyone to carrying a weapon of their choice?

We could even have classes on, target shooting, quick draw, etc.

Or why don't we just hold those responsible for failing to stop these slaughters accountable? Do we want to see the 'song and dance' routines by our republicans who are funded by the NRA while parents are burying their children?

We have elected people who are more concerned with blowing money out the window on the military and waging war than protecting the children of America.
We won't find their kids in public school, but they don't mind telling you where your children must go and risk their lives. In so many cities our children are more concerned about not getting shot going to and from, and while in school, than the subjects the need to learn. This will continue until people start standing up to these tyrants. It's time to really drain the swamp.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And more guns isn't the right thing. I am yet to hear that civilian good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns and we have all heard about misfire and accidental gunfire hurting if not killing people, by police, why expect any less from the teachers. As a human being, I don't want to maim someone, I don't think I can live with myself if I did. I am an educator and if my state calls for it, I will say no, even for the money.
" I am yet to hear that civilian good guys with guns stop bad guys"

Where do you get your "news"?

FBI says from 1 MILLION to 2.5 MILLION times a year it happens.

Read and LEARN.

I suggest you visit the "Armed citizen"

571 PAGES of REAL stories.

BUT, you will NEVER see it or read about it from ANY of the major media.

Why do you think that is?

WA| Tri-City Herald
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
A man attacked their SUV in Pasco. This father was armed and ready
Pasco police say the father — who had a concealed pistol license — fired a warning shot from ...

TX | KLTV
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Private citizen shot man trying to break into home
Authorities in Bowie County are investigating an incident in which a private citizen shot a man who was ...

GA | Patch
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Waffle House Customer Shoots At Armed Robbers
Surveillance photos of two armed men who robbed an Acworth Waffle House have been released by the Cherokee ...

LA | The Advocate
Monday, February 5, 2018
Tow-truck driver shoots man in self-defense Friday night
A man was shot by a tow-truck driver who New Orleans police say was acting in self-defense Friday ...

PA | WTAE
Monday, February 5, 2018
One shot after home invasion in Springdale Township
Allegheny County 911 was notified about a home invasion, by a known person, and shots fired at 1206 ...

Associated Press
Monday, February 5, 2018
Armed Passer-By Aids Utah Policeman Being Assaulted
A passer-by carrying a concealed pistol is being credited with stopping an attack on a police officer in ...

KY | WBKO
Friday, February 2, 2018
Concealed Carry holder holds robbery suspect at gunpoint
A Grayson County man is behind bars after allegedly breaking into a residence in Edmonson County.

FL | TC Palm
Friday, February 2, 2018
Homeowner shoots suspected burglar in southern Indian River County
Deputies responded to a shooting after a burglary went wrong Thursday evening on the 300 block of 14th ...

NC | Fox
Friday, February 2, 2018
Fort Bragg soldier allegedly shoots, kills wife’s attacker at North Carolina home
Police believe a Fort Bragg soldier shot and killed a man attacking his wife Tuesday evening

TX | TXK Today
Friday, February 2, 2018
Man shot attempting to break into house in Liberty Eylau
A Texarkana man is recovering from a gunshot would after attempting to break in to a home Wednesday evening."

"I will say no, even for the money."

That is YOUR choice which you are free to do so.

What about OTHER educators who DO agree.

Shouldn't THEY have the same choice?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-23-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Teachers are there to teach, not provide security for the school. Law enforcement, while generally higher up the ladder in terms of training and skills, are not generally trained for these events unless part of SWAT. If you want to put armed staff in schools, how about 3-4 ex-military.

Those that have combat experience, are experts with their weapons, tactics and far less likely to turn and run the other way. Infantry, Marines, SEALS, Special Forces, are the types that would excel at these types of jobs. And after 15 years of war, I bet you could find a slew of them willing to fill these types of jobs.
"are not generally trained for these events"

Which is WHY they should BE TRAINED which is one of the suggestions.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's a good point - the NRA should put up or shut up instead crying again about Obama/the Democrats coming to take their guns BUT let's be realistic - have you been in a school ? The majority of teachers don't want anything to do with a gun and probably don't want more of them in schools. Hardening the target is a good idea - but with LE or private guards and better discipline in schools would also help but all those are only small steps.

How about a national firearms and ammo database (still legal ownership). An assault weapons ban (like 2004) Police/FBI/ATF ability to put individuals on a firearm ban list based on their assessment of their risk (that may have stopped the FL shooter).
" An assault weapons ban (like 2004)"

Which did NOT ban "assault weapons" at all.

"he NRA should put up or shut"

I don't think you anymore about the NRA except what the Lame Stream Media (who is ANTI gun,) tells you.

Just rifles that LOOKED LIKE a military rifles.

The stats show that NO appreciative changes occurred like was predicted.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-23-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My father was a Marine and a Viet Nam vet, with his PTSD he was likely to pull a gun on family if he was triggered. He once thought he heard something and shot a hole through the wall into the guest bedroom. My uncle couldn't deal with fireworks, he would hit the ground and scream. I loved my father and uncle, but just because someone is a vet doesn't mean that they should be in charge of guarding schools.
Always with the wild exaggerating.

NO ONE is asking for ANYBODY wish any metal problems to help guard our schools.

Just the OPPOSITE.

So quit being so shortsighted.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why not go back to the days of the old west and allow anyone to carrying a weapon of their choice?

We could even have classes on, target shooting, quick draw, etc.

Or why don't we just hold those responsible for failing to stop these slaughters accountable? Do we want to see the 'song and dance' routines by our republicans who are funded by the NRA while parents are burying their children?

We have elected people who are more concerned with blowing money out the window on the military and waging war than protecting the children of America.
We won't find their kids in public school, but they don't mind telling you where your children must go and risk their lives. In so many cities our children are more concerned about not getting shot going to and from, and while in school, than the subjects the need to learn. This will continue until people start standing up to these tyrants. It's time to really drain the swamp.
Better yet, we should just make everyone carry semi-automatic firearms. I'm told that granting everyone the right to concealed carry will deter crime, because criminals would not attack someone who is potentially armed. This has already worked wonders in low-crime countries like the South Sudan, Afghanistan, and Somalia (as opposed to countries with both tough gun ownership laws and vast amounts of gun-related crime like Britain, Japan, and Australia). What could possibly go wrong?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Better yet, we should just make everyone carry semi-automatic firearms. I'm told that granting everyone the right to concealed carry will deter crime, because criminals would not attack someone who is potentially armed. This has already worked wonders in low-crime countries like the South Sudan, Afghanistan, and Somalia (as opposed to countries with both tough gun ownership laws and vast amounts of gun-related crime like Britain, Japan, and Australia). What could possibly go wrong?
"Better yet, we should just make everyone carry semi-automatic firearms"

There goes any chance of trying to have an honest ADULT conversion about this serious issue!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Better yet, we should just make everyone carry semi-automatic firearms"

There goes any chance of trying to have an honest ADULT conversion about this serious issue!
I'm not the one peddling the asinine suggestion that broad conceal and carry laws coupled with ubiquitous gun ownership will reduce crime and gun violence when other countries have already given us examples of what policies do/do not work. If you have a complaint, go take it up with them.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Always with the wild exaggerating.

NO ONE is asking for ANYBODY wish any metal problems to help guard our schools.

Just the OPPOSITE.

So quit being so shortsighted.
4 out of 5 Viet Nam veterans report signs of PTSD 20-25 years after service.
Veterans are twice as likely as civilians to commit suicide.
22 vet a DAY commit suicide.
31% of Iraq and Afghanistan vets have PTSD one year after deployment.
50% of vets do not seek treatment for PTSD.
260,000 Iraq and Afghanistan vets have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries.
39% of Iraq and Afghanistan vets abuse alcohol.

Sorry but with so many mental health problems among vets, I would not be one to point out using vet as a solution to this problem. Vets need more funding for mental health, they don't need to be in positions where they may be triggered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies