Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:07 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,107,685 times

Advertisements

If so desired and qualified, teachers should have the option to carry firearms. However, it would be best for trained professionals to perform the task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM

37,145 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Arming teachers has worked very well in Israel.

Taking guns away from law abiding people is at best idiotic, and is a diversion from addressing the real issues.
Do you have a link for that? If you are talking about that stupid picture of a woman with a rifle slung over her shoulder and a herd of kids, don't bother. That was debunked long ago, and the photograph had been miscaptioned intentionally.

This is the truth of the matter, as written by an Israeli citizen.

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/.prem...rael-1.5406039

Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I can't imagine. My old German teacher Mrs. Hickersburger armed with a gun... Look out children!!
Pfft. I can't imagine my nun teacher with a gun. A ruler was practically a deadly weapon in her hand.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
If so desired and qualified, teachers should have the option to carry firearms. However, it would be best for trained professionals to perform the task.
Continuously trained professionals. No once-in-a-career trained individuals, if you please.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 PM

57,204 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
The solution to these shootings should never be more guns in schools. I don't see any teachers making a difference besides the fact that they are not there to serve as law enforcement. Professionals have a difficult time in these situations I don't expect a teacher to do any better.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's the best case scenario but the reality

There was a police officer on the school campus and the shooter didn't know where he was when he entered and started shooting...didn't stop him.
Mass shooters do not value life, including their own.

It’s a rare mass shooting when the shooter is taken alive. That’s not a coincidence.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I would like to make a point regarding the above that I feel is being overlooked. I do not feel that the main benefit of armed staff is that they will be there in an emergency, although that is a great benefit.

The absolute main benefit of adults being armed in school is just the knowledge that schools are no longer gun free zones. It will be just a huge deterrence. It will become known over time that there are several teachers, etc. that are carrying concealed weapons, it might be known who or not, but, that knowledge will become known to every student, every parent, every grandpa, grandma, aunt, uncle and on and on. The whole of American society will know that schools teachers are armed, they are not a place to even think about going and just shooting people like ducks in a barrel. It will just change the thinking of many, many people that might potentially want to do something this dumb. There is more to this, but, I am sure that this is the right thing to do in this day and age.
Why would it be a deterrent? Almost always, the people doing these shoot-ups expect to die going in. They do not care.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I would like to make a point regarding the above that I feel is being overlooked. I do not feel that the main benefit of armed staff is that they will be there in an emergency, although that is a great benefit.

The absolute main benefit of adults being armed in school is just the knowledge that schools are no longer gun free zones. It will be just a huge deterrence. It will become known over time that there are several teachers, etc. that are carrying concealed weapons, it might be known who or not, but, that knowledge will become known to every student, every parent, every grandpa, grandma, aunt, uncle and on and on. The whole of American society will know that schools teachers are armed, they are not a place to even think about going and just shooting people like ducks in a barrel. It will just change the thinking of many, many people that might potentially want to do something this dumb. There is more to this, but, I am sure that this is the right thing to do in this day and age.

First of all it wouldn't change anyone's thinking because they go in there not caring if they die. Their purpose is to do as much damage as possible to others. And they don't care if they are collateral damage. So whether schools have guns or not, it doesn't matter to them. Teachers are there to educate our children. It's wrong for anyone to think they should be armed. They didn't sign up for that. In this day and age, no civilian needs a military weapon which the only purpose is to kill. That is what needs to be changed.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Arming teachers has worked very well in Israel.

Taking guns away from law abiding people is at best idiotic, and is a diversion from addressing the real issues.
The armed teacher in Israel thing is propaganda.

Teachers in Israel are not armed. Each school of 100 or more students is required to have at least one armed guard at the door. The guards are usually employees of private secipurity firms. The focus is to prevent terrorism, not random mass shootings. Schools in proximity to the strip and hot borders receive nore protection than the rest of the country.

Gun ownership is a privledge, not a right in Israel. The civilian gun ownership rate is a fraction of the US rate. It’s very tough for a civilian to buy a gun. Background checks are deep and constantly updated.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:30 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,107,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Continuously trained professionals. No once-in-a-career trained individuals, if you please.
Absolutely, I agree. I was simply addressing the thread topic.

If disarmed, the large majority of teachers and staff have no empty hand skills, as task specific trained professionals would have.

Even then, a nut job dead set on killing people with no fear for their own life is a force to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies