Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

People believe anything that seems to validate their perceptions.

People tend to gravitate to medias that tell them they are right.

People tend to scan headlines and arrive at conclusions.

Media increasing relies on social media as source.

Trolls/ bots, Russians and otherwise, exploit all of the above.

And sometimes it's just sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 11:19 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And sometimes it's just sport.
Seems a bit expensive to be just for sport this time.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You left off NUMBER-ONE -- Breitbart News!! Which is exactly what you just did in this thread by omitting Breitbart. Just sayin'.

This is standard operation for propaganda. You have to sprinkle true facts in order to get people to believe you. Move along, nothing to see here.

Not sure what your video was about -- I got to the point where the narrators were giggling like little school girls and had to turn it off.
It makes no difference in my book whether it is breibart, wapo or cnn, ALL NEWS are propaganda with sprinkles of truth. Whether the biases come from one side of the other it's all the same to me. My point was that all those "russian bots" did was picking up verifiable information from mainstream media (RIGHT AND LEFT) or wikileaks and spread it around.

If your attention span was longer that 1 min you would have realized that it is not "evil russians" destroying "american democracy", but people from everywhere exposing lies, manipulations, and corruption that is wiping out the facade of what people see as democracy.

The news outlets' job is to maintain this facade by constantly blaming an enemy, whether it is russia, terrorism, drugs, etc. Like the example shown in the video, it is good for the u.s. to interfere in other countries elections, it is evil when somebody else do it.

Last edited by thelogo; 02-22-2018 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
It makes no difference in my book whether it is breibart, wapo or cnn, ALL NEWS are propaganda with sprinkles of truth. Whether the biases come from one side of the other it's all the same to me. My point was that all those "russian bots" did was picking up verifiable information from mainstream media (RIGHT AND LEFT) or wikileaks and spread it around.

If your attention span was longer that 1 min you would have realized that it is not "evil russians" destroying "american democracy", but people from everywhere exposing lies, manipulations, and corruption that is wiping out the facade of what people see as democracy.

The news outlets' job is to maintain this facade by constantly blaming an enemy, whether it is russia, terrorism, drugs, etc. Like the example shown in the video, it is good for the u.s. to interfere in other countries elections, it is evil when somebody else do it.
Wrong. First of all, you intentionally left out #1 favorite of the Russians, Breitbart, so don't pretend to be impartial to news sources.

Second of all, the right has been attacking main-stream-media for the past year on the Russian interference and calling it fake news. Well, it wasn't fake, it was real, and you guys still won't admit it. MSM isn't perfect, but they are completely vindicated in the Russian meddling scandal while right-wing conspiracy sites look like idiots; and they're still spreading conspiracies.

Third, we're not talking about US meddling in other country's elections, we're talking about Russian interference in THIS country using banking and wire fraud, identify theft and host of other nefarious means. Here's a hint for you -- Russians didn't spend four years and millions of dollars employing hundreds of people in a sophisticated scheme to flood social media with pro-Trump propaganda just to help deliver newspapers. Use. Your. Brain.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Wrong. First of all, you intentionally left out #1 favorite of the Russians, Breitbart, so don't pretend to be impartial to news sources.

Second of all, the right has been attacking main-stream-media for the past year on the Russian interference and calling it fake news. Well, it wasn't fake, it was real, and you guys still won't admit it. MSM isn't perfect, but they are completely vindicated in the Russian meddling scandal while right-wing conspiracy sites look like idiots; and they're still spreading conspiracies.

Third, we're not talking about US meddling in other country's elections, we're talking about Russian interference in THIS country using banking and wire fraud, identify theft and host of other nefarious means. Here's a hint for you -- Russians didn't spend four years and millions of dollars employing hundreds of people in a sophisticated scheme to flood social media with pro-Trump propaganda just to help deliver newspapers. Use. Your. Brain.

1. I did not intent to leave out breibart on purpose, I despise it as much as cnn. If you cannot imagine there are people with neither left or right leaning that is your problem.

2. They are not vindicated, in fact they have not proven absolutely anything. That a few russians created social media account to post their views doesn't prove anything. To prove a conspiracy you have to show with hard evidence that the trump campaign was working directly with members of the kremlin. There is nothing of the sort.

3. Clinton propaganda outweighed pro-trump propaganda many times over and still lost. The way people dismiss the fact that it is mostly the u.s. influencing elections in foreign countries show the level of hypocrisy and lack of democratic values. It is only a democracy when the 'right' candidate is selected. Trump surprised everyone by winning. In other countries rigged elections or coups are easy enough to pick a winner (with u.s. support). In the u.s."russian collusion" propaganda ringing on endless is being used as power shifts.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
If whenever things are going badly for you and you start blaming someone else, then you don't have what it takes to be in this job. But the larger point I'd emphasize is there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig American elections, in part because they're so decentralized and the number of votes involved. There's no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there's instances that it happened this time. So I'd invite the Democrats to stop whining and go try to make their case to get votes.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
1. I did not intent to leave out breibart on purpose, I despise it as much as cnn. If you cannot imagine there are people with neither left or right leaning that is your problem.
Sure you didn't. Everyone always starts a list with #2.
Quote:
2. They are not vindicated, in fact they have not proven absolutely anything. That a few russians created social media account to post their views doesn't prove anything. To prove a conspiracy you have to show with hard evidence that the trump campaign was working directly with members of the kremlin. There is nothing of the sort.
The media has been reporting Russian interference and Trump has been denying and calling it fake news. It turned out to be true, and the media is vindicated. That's the fact whether you like it or not. There has been no collusion proven yet, and I never said there was.
Quote:
3. Clinton propaganda outweighed pro-trump propaganda many times over and still lost. The way people dismiss the fact that it is mostly the u.s. influencing elections in foreign countries show the level of hypocrisy and lack of democratic values. It is only a democracy when the 'right' candidate is selected. Trump surprised everyone by winning. In other countries rigged elections or coups are easy enough to pick a winner (with u.s. support). In the u.s."russian collusion" propaganda ringing on endless is being used as power shifts.
OK, if putting America first makes me a hypocrite, then I wear that badge proudly.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:16 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
The media has been reporting Russian interference and Trump has been denying and calling it fake news. It turned out to be true, and the media is vindicated. That's the fact whether you like it or not. There has been no collusion proven yet, and I never said there was.

OK, if putting America first makes me a hypocrite, then I wear that badge proudly.

The c. Purse the media will push the “Russians gave Trump the election” narrative. They need an excuse for why their candidate lost

Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:

I don't understand why you think I have a reason to lie. I already explained that my point was to show that russians bots were only using mainstream media news as their sources, wapo is as msm and popular as it gets, not breibart, therefore I didn't mentioned it.

There is a contradiction in your argument, you cannot say something to be true and next sentence that it hasn't been proven.

Your last sentence I find interesting. Kinda like a relic from the past, when patriotism reigned over other human values and rights. 'We'll interfere, support coups, and finance opposition parties in order to advance our interest in the name of democracy and progress'. But when people leak information, and publish embarrassing trues; now that's anti-democratic/anti-american. People like this should take a minute to take a good look at themselves.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
I read their forums, as I speak Russian.

They think that you americans are crazy with this "Russian Meddling" and laughing at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies