Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times

Advertisements

Now he apparently didn't stop the shooting. The shooter was apparently leaving. And another thing, Myrick doesn't believe school staff should be armed now.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
That's great in Texas or Alaska. What about schools in NYC, Chicago, or even Denver where the majority of people don't hunt or own guns.

Section 3: Gun Ownership Trends and Demographics | Pew Research Center

The difference in rural gun ownership and urban is 59/28. Now from that 28% you also need to find qualified, licensed teachers.
These are valid points and ultimately I think this will be a community based decision because there are different issues and different pros/cons to arming teachers in various different kinds of communities.

Many urban schools already have a lot of security systems in the form of metal detectors and guarded entrances.

I'm not suggesting its the only solution. A multi pronged solution is needed in all communities.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agreed. I guess you missed the part where I said that LEO that is onboard with this is proposing that volunteers would receive training ........the same training that LEO receives to respond to active shooters alongside LEO.
And again who pays for all of this training when school funding has been repeatedly cut?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
One more revenue opportunity being pushed by the NRA and gun manufacturers. I'm sure they are counting the number of schools and teachers in the country and tallying up the potential gun sales if teachers are armed. What stupidity!
I doubt it.

Like I said, most teachers who would volunteer for this already own guns.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and it ain't because the school is gun-free. "

Many school shootings have occurred at schools that had "gun free zone" signs.

"But what does the evidence say about "gun free zones"? According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, "gun free zones" (areas where guns are prohibited) have been the target of more than 98% of all mass shootings. This staggering number is why such designated areas are often referred to as "soft targets," meaning unprotected and vulnerable.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27440...-prestigiacomo

Why don't the bad guys try to rob a police station where all the confiscated drugs an drug money is kept?

If a bad guy is looking to roba house which one do you think he will go to, the one with a sign that says "protected by Smith & Wesson" of "I have no guns in my house?
Typically, evidence such as money and drugs is held in a safe, it's not in a room one would easily have access to. The Parkland shooter wasn't trying to rob the school. His motive was to kill as many people as he possibly could. Same with the Vegas shooter. Same with the shooting in Kentucky etc.

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
???? Uh yeah, trump himself suggested it. Last night.
And doubled down on it, again today.

He is focused on offence, not defense.

I fully expect him to walk the talk and relinquish the snipers on the roof on his son's school and the presence of Secret Service on the grounds and in the school in favor of a teacher who volunteers to carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And again who pays for all of this training when school funding has been repeatedly cut?
Whatever you do, even if its ban and confiscate all guns is going to cost money.

Ultimately, everyone will pay for it. And when it comes to schools much of that funding comes from Real Estate taxes. So they will go up.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No the solution is to not put more people with guns in the building with children. Accidents happen, people slip up no matter how well trained. An accident in a class room with 30 kids could be fatal. It's more likely that a kid would be hurt by accidental gun fire if there are more guns in schools than being in a school shooting.

Then there is the fact that kids are sneaky little critters. I had a second grader steal my phone out of my purse that was in a locked drawer. A SECOND GRADER. It would take nothing for a determined high school student to get a gun from an armed teacher.

Again, more guns is not the answer. And I'm saying this as a gun owner, parent, and former HS teacher.
LEO sometimes have their guns taken from them.

That doesn't mean anyone is going around saying they shouldn't be armed.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Lol, teachers are paying for supplies because we can't bring ourselves to fund education in this country, but you want to pay teachers to be armed? You gun nuts are stupid.

I haven't gone through 13 pages of this, but has anyone actually stopped to think that even if we have an armed guard at the school, and position him at the (only) entrance in our school/prison complex of republican/nra wet dreams that the shooter will still have the element of surprise. All we're basically doing is an early warning, but that's not really much help for those kids, is it? You gun nuts are stupid.

Have I mentioned how stupid you gun nuts must be? I seriously can't wrap my head around the absurdity of these "ideas," for lack of a better word...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
LEO sometimes have their guns taken from them.

That doesn't mean anyone is going around saying they shouldn't be armed.
No. I am saying that introducing MORE of something that can kill into a school only increases the likelihood of an accident. Humans aren't perfect, gun owners aren't perfect, trained law enforcement are not perfect. Less guns in schools = less chance of a gun related accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies