Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I seriously doubt that he is talking about shoving guns into the hands of all teachers and telling them to start shooting. Instead, I suspect that he's endorsing the idea that those teachers who choose to do so could undertake the training necessary to earn a concealed-carry permit, and then make use of that permit and that training on school grounds during school hours.

Honestly, I think that this is one of the most effective ideas out there. Not that I'm against having uniformed security in school, but the fact is that a gunman intent on harming his fellow students will do one of two things: (1) intentionally target the uniformed officer first, so that he can then continue shooting at others unhindered; or (2) intentionally position himself as far away from the uniformed officer as possible, so that he can claim as many targets as possible before the officer can arrive to interfere.

But our hypothetical gunman would have no way of knowing which teachers (if any) are armed, so he would have no way of pre-emptively defending himself against an armed teacher until that teacher actually deployed his weapon.
I think it's a moronic idea because it assumes two conditions, neither one of which may be correct:

1. that the gunman is actually thinking logically, in terms of violent efficiency at least,

2. that the gunman is going after other students rather than staff.

My mother and several of her acquaintances worked for the Texas prison system many years ago. Way back then (and probably now), none of the officers carried guns because armed guards increased the danger for all concerned. It only takes a split second for an inmate to grab an officer's gun, leading to a riot and hostage situation and possibly the loss of many lives. And so it is with the idea of armed teachers. Armed teachers increases students' access to weapons many times over and inflates the danger rather than decreases it. A teenager's reaction time is lightning fast, especially when a teacher has their guard down. How can a teacher concentrate on teaching when he/she is constantly preoccupied with keeping students safe? Bodyguards are a full time job.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
As usual, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

A Moonbeam sycophant.......just hate the messenger and have NO solution to offer.......

Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What a great plan. We hire teachers for their marksmanship instead of their devotion to their profession and their expertise in any given field of study. We fire them when they don't do well at the shooting range. We give them even less tools and supplies than we do now just so we can use tax dollars to buy them guns, ammo and time on the firing range. Then when the mass shooters move on to movie theaters, sports events, pizza places or freeway overpasses we find another group that must be armed at government expense.

As for the president's idea of putting volunteer retired military in schools. Dumbest idea yet. As a group they have far more mental health issues than the general population. Who's going to screen them?

Thank you. You have just made the case for concealed carry. Except for the "at government expense" part.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Friday afternoon the Justice Department announced about $45 million in funding intended to create 356 new school resource officer positions under the federal COPS grants.

Obama admin funding cops in schools – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Obama was never in the military, he did/wanted the same thing....but you won't acknowledge it...he was your savior....

Old 02-23-2018, 01:15 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Evidently there was an armed police officer in the school at the time. He took cover because a hand gun is no match for an AR. So we arm teachers with a hand gun? That's like sending an army in with just knives against one man with an AR. What happens if the teacher fires the gun and hits another student or staff instead? One would have to have the same training as a military or police sniper to be proficient enough to go up against a weapon of war.

So just for grins lets say the school is secure with locked doors, medal detectors and highly trained snipers with Ar's in the school. What's going to keep kids safe going to and from school? How are we going to stop mass shootings at concert, malls, movie theater, or are schools just the only objective?

Once again Trump speaks with a forked tongue. I saw him pandering to the base at a CPAC meeting this morning. "What do you want more tax cuts or the second amendment?" The chant was second amendment.

You will never get guns off of the street. Honest people will be penalized and comply with the law. Criminals will not.

So what can we do? Regulate the gun parts and ammunition? Require all gun owners to be licensed and qualify yearly which includes a psych evaluation? Have stiff punishments for parents that allow minors access to guns to take to school? Raise the age of gun ownership?

I don't believe that responsible gun owners should be unfairly penalized for the crimes of a few who do not belong owning firearms, but I do believe we need stricter laws and regulations. The NRA is promoting a wild west mentality and that is a dangerous mentality.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Obama admin funding cops in schools – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Obama was never in the military, he did/wanted the same thing....but you won't acknowledge it...he was your savior....
This is ignorant and juvenile.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Evidently there was an armed police officer in the school at the time. He took cover because a hand gun is no match for an AR.
Yes it is. Not to mention the police officer would have had a rifle in his car and he is supposedly trained.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Trump, who never served n the military, wants to arm teachers.

BULLETIN FAKE NEWS, FAKE NEWS, FAKE NEWS, FAKE NEWS, FAKE NEWS

Not ALL teachers, Only those who have an interest in that, and only those experienced in handling guns or having military backgrounds.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
I usually agree with Trump on alot of issues...but this is a bad idea for many logistical reasons.

I get what he's trying to do politically...appease both sides....by offering a solution and conforming to gun supporters and gun lobbys that guns can also protect you from harm...

To me it's fairly simple...

Ban these assault rifles and the other 1000 others like them

Seal up the damn schools...and do it safely so if need be students can be evacuated in an emergency.....but when I look at Sandy Hook, Parkland or Columbine....I always ask myself...Just how the hell did they even get in there? Make it so that students can safely get in...and once in...extreme security should be in place so that someone off the streets just can't waltz in there with an AK 47.

That costs little to no money to get that ball rolling...

And third--allow law enforcement and the DA/Justice Department to identify, obtain warrants and lock up potential deranged killers like this. ALl the signs were there....the Feds/the police and the LEGAL end of this failed.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:40 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is ignorant and juvenile.
Yep, sure is, but I noticed that you have not said anything about the childish and juvenile thread title....or the OP...

Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies