Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, I'll give you that. But what makes an AR worse than this pistol ? What about the Hi Point Carbine ?
It's basically arguing semantics. There is no difference.
There is nothing that makes an AR more deadly. Anything that fire projectiles with sufficient ballistic energy to cause death is equally lethal, meaning "capable of causing death." That's my point, and I suspect we are in agreement.

Number of deaths within a specific amount of time is what seems to hang most people up and cause hysteria, and what any semiautomatic with any magazine capacity greater than 6 does is increase rate of fire. The number 6 is where semiautos outpace revolvers, because reload speed is generally faster with dropping/reloading a magazine than even using a speed loader for a revolver.

From a "per shot" perspective, my three non-semiauto weapons are by far the most reliably lethal (meaning each round's chance of directly causing death within seconds). My rifle, on a per shot basis, delivers more ballistic energy at 1,000 yards than an AR-15 does at muzzle. My revolver delivers more ballistic energy at all ranges than my 9mm, and nothing tops my 12 gauge. Whether .00 buckshot or slugs, 12 gauge shotguns are straight doom inside 30 yards. But after 9 shots, time to reload.

And that apparently is what makes or breaks the "lethal" point for anti-gun hysterics. They think reloading is hard and takes a ton of time in any weapon besides semiautomatics. Like non-semiauto load like muskets or something. Yes, my bolt action (any supersonic rifle round >= 300 Win, really) can end a deer's life before the sound of the shot reaches their ears, but I have to cycle the bolt by hand (half a second, maybe) and my box mag only hold 5 rounds, so my bolt action isn't lethal. My 12 gauge firing a .75 caliber slug and basically detonating whatever it hits...that's not lethal because I have to cycle each round manually, and I have to reload after 9 shots. Time between reloads and actual time required for reload is what make firearms lethal or not...I guess?

It's full potato ignorant, but that's how anti-gun people think. A crazy person with a 12 gauge cannot kill anyone. Nope, they have to have an "assault rifle" or the Audie Murphy badasses in the crowd will rush them and give them the whatfor. Apparently, none have ever run the FBI tactical shotgun course, where you use a 12 gauge pump action Remington at ranges between 5-30 yards, and fire 18 or 21 shells (when I ran it between 1995-1998) at three different targets, moving between different kinds of cover and 4 different shooting positions...in 2 minutes. After the first 8 shells, the next 10-13 got loaded manually, on the run, with the weapon covering a target (it was graded). When I ran it with the Marines for RSF/ASF, the next shooter up had to do pushups the entire time the person ahead of them was on the course, to get the heart going and simulate stress. And they counted pellets on each target. My Expert Rifle medal was earned with a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. I know my way around that particular platform, and it's pretty darn lethal.

Manually cycled firearms with low capacity magazines can accomplish a great deal more than anti-AR zealots can comprehend. Ignorance lies at the heart of most anti-gun arguments. Pure ignorance, plain and simple.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 02-23-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
An observation.

Just about every student that was seen running out of that school in Florida had a back pack on their back.

How about requiring students to use a clear plastic carry bag, instead ? Much easier to check, and more obvious if it contains a gun. Leave the back packs at home.

Second. Arming teachers. A terrible idea.

XXX.
Based on the weight of my sons backpack, one of those clear ones would last a week or two before falling apart. His Carrhart barely made it through one school year before the seams started pulling. It might be an option if we went to tablets and e-books.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:43 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
There is nothing that makes an AR more deadly. Anything that fire projectiles with sufficient ballistic energy to cause death is equally lethal, meaning "capable of causing death." That's my point, and I suspect we are in agreement.

Number of deaths within a specific amount of time is what seems to hang most people up and cause hysteria, and what any semiautomatic with any magazine capacity greater than 6 does is increase rate of fire. The number 6 is where semiautos outpace revolvers, because reload speed is generally faster with dropping/reloading a magazine than even using a speed loader for a revolver.

From a "per shot" perspective, my three non-semiauto weapons are by far the most reliably lethal (meaning each round's chance of directly causing death within seconds). My rifle, on a per shot basis, delivers more ballistic energy at 1,000 yards than an AR-15 does at muzzle. My revolver delivers more ballistic energy at all ranges than my 9mm, and nothing tops my 12 gauge. Whether .00 buckshot or slugs, 12 gauge shotguns are straight doom inside 30 yards. But after 9 shots, time to reload.

And that apparently is what makes or breaks the "lethal" point for anti-gun hysterics. They think reloading is hard and takes a ton of time in any weapon besides semiautomatics. Like non-semiauto load like muskets or something. Yes, my bolt action (any supersonic rifle round >= 300 Win, really) can end a deer's life before the sound of the shot reaches their ears, but I have to cycle the bolt by hand (half a second, maybe) and my box mag only hold 5 rounds, so my bolt action isn't lethal. My 12 gauge firing a .75 caliber slug and basically detonating whatever it hits...that's not lethal because I have to cycle each round manually, and I have to reload after 9 shots. Time between reloads and actual time required for reload is what make firearms lethal or not...I guess?

It's full potato ignorant, but that's how anti-gun people think. A crazy person with a 12 gauge cannot kill anyone. Nope, they have to have an "assault rifle" or the Audie Murphy badasses in the crowd will rush them and give them the whatfor. Apparently, none have ever run the FBI tactical shotgun course, where you use a 12 gauge pump action Remington at ranges between 5-30 yards, and fire 18 or 21 shells (when I ran it between 1995-1998) at three different targets, moving between different kinds of cover and 4 different shooting positions...in 2 minutes. After the first 8 shells, the next 10-13 got loaded manually, on the run, with the weapon covering a target (it was graded). When I ran it with the Marines for RSF/ASF, the next shooter up had to do pushups the entire time the person ahead of them was on the course, to get the heart going and simulate stress. And they counted pellets on each target. My Expert Rifle medal was earned with a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. I know my way around that particular platform, and it's pretty darn lethal.

Manually cycled firearms with low capacity magazines can accomplish a great deal more than anti-AR zealots can comprehend. Ignorance lies at the heart of most anti-gun arguments. Pure ignorance, plain and simple.

I think I have mistaken one of your comments. I was under the impression you were anti "assault" rifle while forgetting about the multitude of others that are the same.
I think we are on the same page.
If you were good with a 12 gauge pump, imagine how you would be with any number of the semi auto mag fed ones...provided they actually cycle.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:47 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Is this too simple ?

Lock the doors. Entry by one door only , all students have to use it. Armed guard at the one entrance door.

Fire doors only open when fire alarm is triggered. Fire doors only open outward.

No adults allowed in the school, except teachers and administration staff. Parents can meet/pick up kids at a specified point on the school grounds. Deliveries to the school have to be scheduled a day ahead of time, with a specific delivery time.

XXX.
Until a student lets someone in another door or pulls the fire alarm like this psycho did...

Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
I think this thread is another fake story being passed around by the resident Leftists.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:54 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I think this thread is another fake story being passed around by the resident Leftists.
But then Aaron Stark, the letter writer, had the balls to go on TV. But I am sure you did the research and knew that.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:54 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
http://acolumbinesite.com/weapon.php

A rifle was used at Columbine. The Clinton gun ban accomplished nothing. And the 12ga shotgun is far more devistating at short range than any rifle.
The existence of that website contributes more to this problem than even the guns. How many shooters have we heard about viewing stuff like this before they committed their own terror? I’ve lived around guns all my life, but these websites and the constant near glorification by the media, at least to the minds of killers, is driving a lot of this insanity.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:55 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
But then Aaron Stark, the letter writer, had the balls to go on TV. But I am sure you did the research and knew that.
That doesn't mean he's telling the truth.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The last gun bans weren't really bans at all. It also didn't address existing firearms.
Yeah, because it would have caused a civil war and they knew it.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:00 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And Harris/Klebold were the same tortured outcasts,
That's been debunked by now actually. In journals, they admitted bullying more than being bullied. They also did not pick out their targets. They wanted to literally kill everyone at that school including those they thought off as friends. Remember they had huge propane tanks they hoped would explode inside the school and then tanks in their cars they hoped would go off after LEOs and First Responders were on scene.

I highly recommend Dave Cullen's Columbine on the massacre, but until then, there's this also written by Cullen

At last we know why the Columbine killers did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies