Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 04:31 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, the NRA has always been politically motivated and had politicians treading on eggs so as to not offend their membership. They are bullies, throwing their weight around, with the one goal of selling more and more guns.

They may have started off as a hunting driven organization, but they morphed into a monster who thought they could control our lawmakers (and, for the most part, they did).

Glad to see so many companies distancing themselves from the NRA, about time.
The NRA is a bunch of spineless sellouts who only serve to promote cops and gun manufacturers. They care not a wit about gun rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 04:31 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Companies believe that more people oppose the NRA than favor it. Otherwise they wouldn’t be dropping their connections with the NRA like it was poison to their brand. 5 million NRA members < 200 non-member adults. Even if you counted all gun owners as NRA supporters, which they are not, there are more non-gun owners than gun owners. Plus, I would guess that non-gun owners dominate the demographics that most companies target; i.e., younger, urban and suburban, higher income and college grads. Among college grads, the gun owner rate is only about 25%.

The demographics of gun ownership in the U.S. | Pew Research Center
That's a key. Years ago, a NYC tabloid sought advertising from a high end store, and was rebuffed with comment "Your readers are our shoplifters".

While in voting, high income and low income count equally, that is not true in business.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Last time I checked, AAA wasn't into guns that kill children.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Companies believe that more people oppose the NRA than favor it. Otherwise they wouldn’t be dropping their connections with the NRA like it was poison to their brand. 5 million NRA members < 200 non-member adults. Even if you counted all gun owners as NRA supporters, which they are not, there are more non-gun owners than gun owners. Plus, I would guess that non-gun owners dominate the demographics that most companies target; i.e., younger, urban and suburban, higher income and college grads. Among college grads, the gun owner rate is only about 25%.

Um, not really. Companies try to avoid anything that hints at controversial. Extremists, which right now are going nuts with their rabid hate of the NRA, are by their very definition, well, extreme. You see this all the time and the knee jerk reaction is not surprising. Plus, there's no fiduciary relationship with the NRA in these instances. It was just discounts given to members, a large number of which likely didn't even use. I never did.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That's a key. Years ago, a NYC tabloid sought advertising from a high end store, and was rebuffed with comment "Your readers are our shoplifters".

While in voting, high income and low income count equally, that is not true in business.
That is so cute what you both did right there.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Um, not really. Companies try to avoid anything that hints at controversial. .
That is because association with controversial groups is a net money loser for corps.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
That is because association with controversial groups is a net money loser for corps.
Not always but people concentrate on that instead of the product which is not what any company would want. I think everyone would agree the NRA is controversial much like the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, etc is also controversial.

I don't care if these companies stopped the NRA discounts but to act like this is some signal that the NRA is going down is both naive and illogical. You wouldn't believe the number of people on social media who thought these companies gave money to the NRA and this would bankrupt the NRA. So much ignorance out there.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Depends on the business, yes? After all, there is Walmart and they seemed to do okay catering to the lower income.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Depends on the business, yes? After all, there is Walmart and they seemed to do okay catering to the lower income.
And they are also the largest retailer of guns in the U.S.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Not always but people concentrate on that instead of the product which is not what any company would want. I think everyone would agree the NRA is controversial much like the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, etc is also controversial.

I don't care if these companies stopped the NRA discounts but to act like this is some signal that the NRA is going down is both naive and illogical. You wouldn't believe the number of people on social media who thought these companies gave money to the NRA and this would bankrupt the NRA. So much ignorance out there.

You can bet corps surveyed their customer base to determine NRA support is a net loser now.

So the NRA can exist, and pay full price on stuff, just like any other unpopular organization can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies