Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 04:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Don't know much about International air hubs do you?

ATL is one of the primary International airports in the US and the biggest in the SE US. It's world #1 for passengers transiting it since 1998 and has been #1 for take offs and landings since 2005 minus 2014 where O'Hare got that title. It's a huge deal.

Charlotte is provincial by comparison does it even really get international flights?
Yes, dear, I know it is an international airport. So is Tampa. There are other airports. I actually avoid Atlanta as it is usually chaotic.

I also know that no company should let some government bully try to force them to give discounts to specific organizations.

It would be very impressive if Delta stood their ground, just like the NRA promotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Great job

Georgia's lieutenant gov blasts Delta for cutting ties with NRA; warns he will block legislation favoring airline

Georgia's lieutenant gov blasts Delta for cutting ties with NRA; warns he will block legislation favoring airline | Fox News
I wish Deal had shown this spine when standing up to the corporate Gaystapo attacking his state in 2015 and 2016.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think he would face several legal challenges if he actually tries to use his position to punish a business.

I'm guessing a smarter colleague will take him aside and whisper in his ear.
Especially based on political party. Its like saying I will only tax people who do not vote for me.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
I don't support this. In fact, it incenses me that he would veto a bill that would protect businesses from being persecuted by the Gaystapo (a veto that Delta happened to support, so I'm not feeling too sorry for them now....) yet will threaten to veto a bill supporting Delta now, basically trying to punish a business for its own private actions.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
The Georgia Senate blocked a lucrative tax break bill on Monday that would benefit Delta Air Lines after the Atlanta-based company severed ties with the National Rifle Association.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said he would not support tax legislation that helped the airline “unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with the NRA.” He echoed a growing number of conservatives who opposed the measure over the weekend.

It came after Delta desperately sought to find neutral ground in a gun debate that has very little, trying to soothe concerns among conservative lawmakers infuriated by the company’s decision to end discounted rates for NRA members in the wake of the mass shooting at a Florida high school.

That move forced Gov. Nathan Deal and other supporters of the $50 million jet fuel sales tax exemption to shift to the defensive, and prompted a growing number of Republicans to try to strip the provision out of a broader tax-cut bill that has already passed the state House.
Says alot about how little those republicans really value the free market they are always talking about huh?

Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
So the NRA is MORE IMPORTANT than Delta Airlines is to Georgia. What a bunch of red neck stupid people.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:32 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...iMHs7KAuudmyH/

Delta’s tax break may not take flight after Georgia Senate blocks it

Greg Bluestein The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

2:58 p.m Monday, Feb. 26, 2018 Georgia Politics and Government

The Georgia Senate blocked a lucrative tax break bill on Monday that would benefit Delta Air Lines after the Atlanta-based company severed ties with the National Rifle Association.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said he would not support tax legislation that helped the airline “unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with the NRA.” He echoed a growing number of conservatives who opposed the measure over the weekend.

It came after Delta desperately sought to find neutral ground in a gun debate that has very little, trying to soothe concerns among conservative lawmakers infuriated by the company’s decision to end discounted rates for NRA members in the wake of the mass shooting at a Florida high school.

That move forced Gov. Nathan Deal and other supporters of the $50 million jet fuel sales tax exemption to shift to the defensive, and prompted a growing number of Republicans to try to strip the provision out of a broader tax-cut bill that has already passed the state House.
Nobody is going to to anything to Delta, especially in Georgia. The only thing more southern than Delta is sweet tea, BBQ and mild racism. The entire notion comes under the category of the most southern of phrases: "Bless their hearts."

Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I hope Amazon takes note of this as they consider their location for HQ2.

Delta should threaten to leave Georgia. Plenty of other states would love to have them.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I hope Amazon takes note of this as they consider their location for HQ2.

Delta should threaten to leave Georgia. Plenty of other states would love to have them.
Delta should say go ahead and we will sue. Perhaps they even have a case now.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:41 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes, dear, I know it is an international airport. So is Tampa. There are other airports. I actually avoid Atlanta as it is usually chaotic.

I also know that no company should let some government bully try to force them to give discounts to specific organizations.

It would be very impressive if Delta stood their ground, just like the NRA promotes.
It's not just an international airport it's an International hub.

Delta schedules from ATL. But their schedules arrive on BA, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, Qantas, Emirates and Delta themselves. They can move, but those other airlines ain't gonna move (and probably couldn't get landing space elsewhere) with them and will use other partners. It would cut Deltas revenue by a sizeable percentage probably 15% to 50%.

Duh! Don't you feel stupid now, knowing what you now know. It's not the airport, it's the traffic arriving on other airlines that transfer to Delta for last leg from ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies