Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM

4,125 posts, read 2,808,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Growing up in the city, guns and weapons are kept in secrecy and hidden from sight, if they are in the home. Children are kept away from guns and never have an opportunity to learn all about their 2nd amendment. They are taught at home and in school the gun is BAD! The children grow older and get away from mommies wing. The buy a gun. Never being around them and no place to shoot it still living in the city limits, where it would not be safe to shoot out the back door.
Going by this first paragraph, I'm guessing you've never been to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,112,263 times
Quote:
You should hug your dad everyday and remind him often he is your hero! Not all city boys or girls were as privileged as you.
Your dad did good!
I only pray you are continuing the family tradition.
My children are all shooters and have a healthy respect for guns. My daughter is military, my son is almost to his eagle scout level.

Now, even though I am a gun owner I don't believe that everyone should have guns. I don't believe that more guns are the solution to every problem. I don' feel the need to concealed carry in fear for my life. Yes, I own a tool, but I no more feel the need to have it always on hand than I feel the need to carry any of my other tools.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,574,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Link for your post?
Thousands of them. Which particular issue interests you?

If it's the basics of far rural living in MO:
One family. Four generations of disability benefits. Will it continue?The number of homes with multiple recipients has risen, especially among the poor. | The Washington Post

If it's general rural welfare:
Her disability check was gone, and now the only option left was also one of the worst. | The Washington Post

Rural South and violence:
South Has More Violent Crime FBI Statistics Show - Business Insider

Rural life and obesity:
Rural America Fatter Than Urban America - ABC News

Rural America and Mortality:
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...eath-risk.html

I could go on with 100's of links...but please take my word for it. Or read up.
Rural in this country is often a code word for unhappy. In some rural areas of WV and KY, 50 to 80% of the population (mostly the young and slightly educated) have left...for good.

Why? If your fantasy had an ounce of truth they wouldn't do so.

I often say we are living in backwards bizzarro times. Your post is a perfect example. Note that most of the Founders of this country (Franklin, Hamilton, etc.) lived in cities even 250 years ago.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,000,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My children are all shooters and have a healthy respect for guns. My daughter is military, my son is almost to his eagle scout level.

Now, even though I am a gun owner I don't believe that everyone should have guns. I don't believe that more guns are the solution to every problem. I don' feel the need to concealed carry in fear for my life. Yes, I own a tool, but I no more feel the need to have it always on hand than I feel the need to carry any of my other tools.
Agreed. Not only is the OP's post full of assumptions about urban vs. rural youth, the deeper assumption that guns are "good" is particularly troubling. A gun is a tool - a potentially dangerous one. It is not "good" nor "evil." It does make you a man or a patriot, it is not "what keeps America free and prosperous," and it is not something that should be sold, no questions asked, to any dingbat who comes along.

I swear - substitute screwdriver or socket wrench for "gun" in right-wing preaching, and you see how crazy what they preaching is. "Mah socket wrench keeps Americah free!" Sure it does, buddy. The only difference - nobody has committed mass murder with a socket wrench. So, yes - guns ARE potentially dangerous and thus SHOULD only be used by responsible people. And anyone who considers a gun by definition an instrument of "good" and "freedom" - by the very nature of the weapon - is questionable for if he should be owning one, IMHO.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM

19,656 posts, read 9,965,248 times
Can't speak for other areas, but here in rural Missouri, hunting and fishing is something almost all children do. Fishing starts about age 4 or 5 and hunting around 9 or 10. Having also lived in a couple major cities in Missouri, those kids don't get to experience the same things.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:21 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,574,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Can't speak for other areas, but here in rural Missouri, hunting and fishing is something almost all children do. Fishing starts about age 4 or 5 and hunting around 9 or 10. Having also lived in a couple major cities in Missouri, those kids don't get to experience the same things.
I'm from Philly - at the time I think the 5th biggest city in the USA.

Shot rifles at camp from 7 years old.
Fished at camp - and in the local river. Chased crawfish in the creeks.
Went to Military School (same area) shot plenty.

Then I grew up and had other responsibilities...like children and making a living. No time for such pursuits. But plenty of hunting even 15 miles from Philly in the far burbs.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:53 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,342,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Yes, we are all tolerant of others individual rights and their choices to exercise those rights differently. I agree, not everyone. Those deemed not to have a weapon, should not be walking the streets free in society. Because weapons are easily accessible in a free & open society.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,885,993 times
Absolutely not.

I grew up in a small manufacturing town. My hometown has a very high crime rate. If you're truly capable, you're limited by the town. Even in a city like Detroit, there are places to move up to. Here, not so much.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,342,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Thousands of them. Which particular issue interests you?

If it's the basics of far rural living in MO:
One family. Four generations of disability benefits. Will it continue?The number of homes with multiple recipients has risen, especially among the poor. | The Washington Post

If it's general rural welfare:
Her disability check was gone, and now the only option left was also one of the worst. | The Washington Post

Rural South and violence:
South Has More Violent Crime FBI Statistics Show - Business Insider

Rural life and obesity:
Rural America Fatter Than Urban America - ABC News

Rural America and Mortality:
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...eath-risk.html

I could go on with 100's of links...but please take my word for it. Or read up.
Rural in this country is often a code word for unhappy. In some rural areas of WV and KY, 50 to 80% of the population (mostly the young and slightly educated) have left...for good.

Why? If your fantasy had an ounce of truth they wouldn't do so.

I often say we are living in backwards bizzarro times. Your post is a perfect example. Note that most of the Founders of this country (Franklin, Hamilton, etc.) lived in cities even 250 years ago.

You were trying to make it sound as if no Democrats lived in Rural America. Then you just show proof they do. DUH!!!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,608,174 times
Quote:
Now, rural America. Where a shotgun is in view all the time in some high location. Kids see mom and dad shooting some varmint weekly and hunting for meat.
lol. rural people don't go hunting for their food, they buy it from the store like everyone else.

you're living in a fantasy world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies