Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBurnsey View Post
No one wants to disarm the law abiding gun owners, this is NRA and conservative fear mongering.

The goal is to put measures in place to prevent mentally unstable or criminals from easy and legal access to guns.

How does a deranged shooter legally acquire 7 guns including an assault rifle? That alone means there is something wrong with gun control in the USA.

If in Parkland the 19 year old had to undergo training in safety and operation, acquired a gun license, and had to undergo a thorough criminal and mental background check before buying that gun, he would not have been able to get the gun and would not be standing outside your door.

This is really false. A society where everyone needs a gun for self protection and safety is not a healthy society, and there are serious underlying issues that need to be resolved.

We aren't a healthy society, never have been and never will be. I agree, as does everyone, that a mentally unstable person probably shouldn't have access to guns or the ability to buy one without setting off alarms. Lot's of work can be done here and it will require a hard look at mental illness and how we handle it too, it's not a stand alone issue. How did this guy get so many? Because he wasn't a "deranged shooter" until last week. However there was plenty of opportunity for him to be flagged if there was a system in place, assuming his school district stops hiding the criminal activities of it's students for other reasons.

You're mistaken that nobody wants to disarm law abiding gun owners. It's not fear mongering, many people actually do whnt that and I'm looking a long comment section on the FB of someone I know that's calling for that right now. Other countries have done it, and it's a serious point of debate in the USA among many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So your guns didn't solve these situations?
Is this a serious question? Okay, I'll go ahead and respond as if it is. Of course "my" guns did not resolve or help these situations in any way. Because the events I described did not take place in "my" home nor was I involved with the events that I described. However, had the intruder who invaded my neighbor's home attempted to do the same at "my" home, the odds that my daughter would have been able to defend her life would have been much higher. This was the point of my entire post. Had the home invaders or the triple-murderer attempted to do to me or my family what they did to other people near my home, the outcome could and most likely would have been different...because I possess firearms....for home defense. My whole post was simply about readiness and not allowing yourself to be lulled into a false sense of safety just because you have never been faced with danger. The police never caught the guy who broke into my neighbor's home and killed her dog, but it seems that he/they definitely knew no one would be home when they broke in. My house is right next door, and we have basically the same daily routine as they did. From 8 to 3 every day , no one is home. So had they broken into my home that day, they would have done so thinking no one was home. Now what do you suppose might happen when the thieves discover a 15 year old girl is home in the house they just broke into? Personally, I don't even like to think about it. But I do know that if that were to happen, my daughter could defend her life. And that's all I'm advocating here. Be prepared, not paranoid.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
...Of course "my" guns did not resolve or help these situations in any way. ...
Thank you. The witness is excused.

That is what would happen in a courtroom with your kind of witness testimony. We have no idea what would have actually happened had the circumstances directly involve you. You or your daughter might very well be dead.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

There is a saying in war time that there are no atheists in foxholes and I think the same could be said ....
Well first of all this "saying" is BS repeated by religionists to comfort & reassure each other & isn't true at all, so you are doing a disservice to your argument by prefacing it with an old wive's tale.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:42 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
The irony is they're gonna call a guy with a gun.

And hope he arrives in time to do any good and doesn't just sit around "taking cover'.

Gun-haters don't really hate guns. They hate not being in control. They're control freaks. They're fearful because they know they cannot defend themselves against bad guys. And ironically the way they could level the playing field - in fact the only way - is by having a gun themselves. A gun truly is the great equalizer. There isn't any other tool that can be wielded to equal effect by a small woman, or an elderly person or a child or an invalid or the disabled that applies the same level of force or deterrence to the physical force or gun that the BG is carrying.

And there is no pill, nostrum, training, or method that can substitute for a gun that can accomplish that. Some BG is always going to be bigger, meaner, faster, more devious, smarter, or luckier than their victims, and that's how it has always been and how it always will be. That's why there are still victims. If BGs were always on parity with their victims, there wouldn't BE any victims.

The gun grabbers number one error is assuming that eliminating guns gets all of humanity back to parity. And thats so clearly and obviously wrong that only an idiot or the deranged would think that. If you can't see that a 98 pound woman doesn't stand a chance against the average healthy or young male of even average build, strength and speed, or that a 70 year old is going to lose any physical contest with some 19 year old crack head....you're just effing nuts.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 AM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I had to use a sidearm to stop an assault. The scumbag ran, but if definitely stopped a bad man. LaPierre is right, to stop a b a d guy with a gun, it takes a good man with a gun.

A couple hours later, after the adrenaline left my body, I was so rattled, I actually met with a friendly LEO who schooled me on how Lexinton pd would have handled if shot had been fired, I might have been treated as the prep.

If you exercise you inalienable right to defend yourself, be smart, have a lawyer's contact on you, and learn to keep your mouth mostly shut until your counsel can speak for you. The adrenaline in your body could betray you and get you charged instead off the bad man.

That said, I still carry most days. I thank God I didn't have to use my sidearm for its intend purpose.

Be brave and wise, my friends.

Last edited by mortgageboss; 02-24-2018 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Damn auto correct and old eyes.....

Old 02-24-2018, 01:44 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you. The witness is excused.

That is what would happen in a courtroom with your kind of witness testimony. We have no idea what would have actually happened had the circumstances directly involve you. You or your daughter might very well be dead.
Once again, my original post was not about what would have happened if I or my daughter were involved in the crimes I spoke of. My post was about why I feel people should own firearms. The crimes I spoke of were simply examples of things that could happen to any of us, even if we live in what seems like a safe, crime-free area. Your question to me actually did not really make sense, which is why I asked if this was a real question. Because I never said a thing about what I would or could have done if those crimes happened to me. I simply gave those crimes as examples for why you should be prepared, just in case you happen to be the one being victimized one day. Here, a refresher on what you originally commented on:

"This post is for all those who have never been in real danger or felt the need to own a gun. All I can say is, count yourself lucky. I myself live in a small town where crime is relatively low, a place where you might feel you could leave your door unlocked at night. That is, until your neighbor's house is burglarized twice and there's a triple murder just up the street. The first break in next door ended with a trail of blood leading out the back door, because my neighbor had a big dog that the robber must not have known about. So the second break in a week later ended with a house devoid of property, and a dead dog in the tub. The robber came back with a gun, and shot the dog....and my daughter was home alone sick, within about 40 feet of where an armed gunman was robbing a house and shooting a dog.

And then, two weeks later, a young man killed one man, a mother, and her child because of some sort of domestic dispute. And this all happened pretty much right beside my home, in a small country town, where nothing like this usually happens. Luckily, even though I've never needed a weapon to defend my home so far in life, I still own a few for home defense. Weapons that my daughter has been properly trained to handle if she should ever need to defend herself from an intruder like the one who broke in to my neighbor's home.

I tell you this for just one reason. I want to make it clear to everyone that you should never simply consider yourself safe from danger. Bad things happen, and they can happen anywhere. And like it or not, having a firearm within reach could very well mean the difference between life and death for some of you one day. I am not saying that you should be prepared for war, and I'm not saying you should live in fear. I am simply saying that there is nothing wrong with being prepared. Don't take your safety for granted just because thus far you haven't found yourself in harm's way."

As you can see, my post was about why I have firearms. I mention that my daughter would have access to a weapon if she were pushed to defend herself in the same sort of situation. And then I go on to explain why I feel having a firearm in your home "could" mean the difference in a life/death situation. I did not attempt to "testify" as to what would have absolutely transpired had I or my family been involved in the same situations. I simply stated that we have guns and thus would probably be more prepared if that sort of situation were to arise due to the fact that we have access to firearms.
And to this post, your comment was this:

"So your guns didn't solve these situations?"

The question was confusing, because it didn't seem to make sense as far as my post went. My weapons were never presented as a means to solve all situations. My weapons were merely presented as a means with which I and my family could try and defend ourselves. And then, since we were now talking about my weapons, I gave you a possibility of how things could have gone down if those men had broken into my home instead of the neighbors. Not once did I represent my comments as facts, nor did I act like this is exactly what would happen. I simply gave you a scenario in which "my" weapons could possibly have come into play to help my daughter. Definitely nothing I'd be in court testifying about in the first place.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:39 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
It's always comforting to know that when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Well, I'd think such a person would die. But for those people who live in safe neighborhoods, it's such a rare occurrence that buying a gun could be more of a liability for them. If you're living in Montana, or one of those places where the entire state only has like, 6 cops, and they take hours to get to you, then a gun makes much more sense.
And people do not start off living in fear. Car accidents happen, but many people still drive. Airplanes do crash, but people still fly. There isn't exactly a 0% chance that the spouse your married won't "flip a mental switch" and kill you in your sleep, or abuse some moment of trust to take you out. Yet, people get married because they're willing to take that risk.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:29 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Assume I buy a gun and a lottery ticket, the odds of me winning the lottery or needing a gun to protect myself from a gunman at my door are about the same.

My odds of winning the lottery increase if I buy a million tickets. They will also increase with a gunman at my door if I’m a drug dealer, or other type of criminal. The gunman at my door would probably be a cop.

I’m also licensed to carry a concealed weapon, not to protect myself from criminals, I have no fear of that. But protection from some of the so called good guys that now carry. Think, the coward Zimmerman.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:43 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I'm not anti-gun, but I don't always own one either. I consider it a tool that can be used both responsibly and irresponsibly. I believe there are other ways to defend yourself. Many other objects can be used as a defensive weapon. Certainly you must learn how to use them just as you have to learn to use a firearm. You need to be clear with yourself about your capabilities, how willing you are to do anything, and under what circumstances. A responsible owner of a firearm would or should do this too. Of course each "weapon" has its advantages and disadvantages...won't state the obvious....I just don't believe anyone is automatically helpless simply because they don't have a gun.
I know you clarified this a little but I've got to say that as a now retired career LEO from a very busy area I can say that without a doubt, I rarely, if ever, saw a shooter suffering from defensive wounds from their victims swinging chairs, bats and so on. Defending oneself against a committed shooter is pretty tough when you're using something that won't reach out and touch the shooter such as another gun. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they have to become gun owners and now defend themselves or their family but we also cannot pretend that a weapon you pick up in hopes to defend against a firearm can be very effective at all.
Using a weapon such as a chair, bat and so on against someone is always possible if their attention it taken away and their guard let down but let's not pretend that one on one (gun and other weapon) is on equal grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies