Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:23 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times

Advertisements

https://www.politico.eu/article/form...nafort-scheme/

"The former chancellor isn’t named in the court filings, but appears to be Alfred Gusenbauer, who served as chancellor of Austria between 2007 and 2008. Gusenbauer and two lobbyists involved in Manafort’s lobbying campaign met with members of Congress and staffers in 2013, ..."

&

"Kutler also accompanied Romano Prodi, a former Italian prime minister, to meetings with Royce and a staffer for House Majority Whip Eric Cantor months beforehand"

There has been a whole lot of retroactive filing going on for FARA. However, the former Austrian and Italian may likely be facing jail. Few bribe takers seem to report the money as income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:29 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Everybody is waiting for Tony Podesta to be indicted, he was working for Manafort, and failed to register as a foreign agent while working in the Ukraine.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Everybody is waiting for Tony Podesta to be indicted, he was working for Manafort, and failed to register as a foreign agent while working in the Ukraine.
Agree on that.

From article I already cited:

"It included two Washington lobbying firms, Mercury and the Podesta Group, that Manafort hired to lobby on behalf of the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine, an ostensibly independent group that was really controlled by Yanukovych and his allies, according to Mueller."

Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
I also agree on that.

It's increasingly clear, given the new information from the Gates/Manafort indictments and guilty plea, that Mueller's investigation is likely not limited to one side of the aisle, one candidate, or even one country.

As I've said elsewhere, this may turn out to be MUCH bigger than just Trump.

I have never believed in the so-called "deep state" but I'm starting to have doubts about that putting together the pieces Mueller seems to be going after.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 PM

The Podesta angle has been known for some time

"On October 30, 2017, a federal
grand jury unsealed the indictment of Manafort and his deputy Richard Gates. According to NBC News, the Podesta Group is mentioned in the indictment as one of the companies that lobbied on behalf of the Ukrainian government for Manafort and Gates. On that day, Tony Podesta stepped down as head of the Podesta Group."

Cite: Wikipedia for Podesta Group

So why hasn't he been indicted yet? Not sure.

Also not sure if Mueller is giving Austrian and Italian governments time to prosecute their former leaders.

Further, why doesn't the Ukraine start indicting these people?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The Podesta angle has been known for some time

So why hasn't he been indicted yet? Not sure.

Also not sure if Mueller is giving Austrian and Italian governments time to prosecute their former leaders.

Further, why doesn't the Ukraine start indicting these people?
Perhaps Mueller is focusing on frying the bigger fish first?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I also agree on that.

It's increasingly clear, given the new information from the Gates/Manafort indictments and guilty plea, that Mueller's investigation is likely not limited to one side of the aisle, one candidate, or even one country.

As I've said elsewhere, this may turn out to be MUCH bigger than just Trump.

I have never believed in the so-called "deep state" but I'm starting to have doubts about that putting together the pieces Mueller seems to be going after.
It doesn't appear that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Perhaps Mueller is focusing on frying the bigger fish first?
Podesta is just about as big a fish that there is. The Podesta Group was one of the biggest, and most influential lobbying groups in DC, and the world.

It's hard to believe that Mueller hasn't indicted Podesta at this point, it makes his investigation appear to be a Trump witch hunt.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It doesn't appear that way.

Podesta is just about as big a fish that there is. The Podesta Group was one of the biggest, and most influential lobbying groups in DC, and the world.

It's hard to believe that Mueller hasn't indicted Podesta at this point, it makes his investigation appear to be a Trump witch hunt.

A witch hunt is when an innocent person is attacked with false charges.

All of Mueller's charges to date appear to be well founded and some parties have already plead guilty.

I believe the better word is "partisan ".

Yes everyone to date appears to have been with the GOP. I agree it would be good for appearances sake to indict Podesta too. thanks

Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 PM

US MSM yet to pickup on this story.

However, Spiegel has.

It's in German.

Donald Trump: Ex-Wahlkampfmanager soll europäische Politiker bezahlt haben - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 PM

This is an example of the detail that NYT goes into:

"Although the former politicians purported to provide “independent assessments,” according to the indictment, “in fact they were paid lobbyists for Ukraine.” Mr. Manafort used at least four offshore accounts to wire more than 2 million euros to pay the group of former politicians, according to the indictment."

However, the article fails to name the people within the group.

See: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/2...-manafort.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies