Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times

Advertisements

Supreme Court hears arguments on power of public employee unions

About time...Public employee unions hold too much political power..and requiring non-members to pay dues is nothing but legal extortion:

"A closely divided U.S. Supreme Court took up a case Monday that's likely to deal a crippling blow to unions representing millions of the nation's public employees.

The justices will decide whether state government workers who choose not to join a union must still pay a share of union dues to cover the cost of negotiating contracts.

The court deadlocked 4-4 on the same issue two years ago in a case brought by a group of California teachers opposed to paying the dues. Since then, conservative Neil Gorsuch has joined the court, and he seems all but certain to provide the fifth vote opponents need to strike the fees down.

But with both sides in the case — and the other justices — eager to hear from Gorsuch, he said nothing during the hour-long argument Monday, declining to ask a single question.

Even so, it would be a considerable surprise if Gorsuch joined the court's liberals to provide a fifth vote in favor of the unions. Instead, the unions seemed headed for a big fall."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:32 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
This is a tough one. Interesting

A union (business entity) is making a contract with another business entity. Looking to improve the conditions for all members, If non-members benefit, can they then be paid at a lower rate since they have not helped to cover the cost of the entity to negotiate with the other.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
The effort to weaken the last intact entity of the once powerful union movement is under way.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
This is a tough one. Interesting

A union (business entity) is making a contract with another business entity. Looking to improve the conditions for all members, If non-members benefit, can they then be paid at a lower rate since they have not helped to cover the cost of the entity to negotiate with the other.
My focus on this is the huge amount of political power Public Employee unions have...in California..they are the 880 lb. gorilla that sits where it wants...I'd like to declaw that monster.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The effort to weaken the last intact entity of the once powerful union movement is under way.
Well..tell me...given the original reasons that unions were formed..have they outlived their usefulness? At least, in the public sector?

They've become players in the political arena..to a disproportionate extent. I see that as a bad thing.

In the trades...in dangerous factories where employers are prone to cut corners..sure...I like the union.

But white collar unions..have always seemed a bit...fake..to me.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Well..tell me...given the original reasons that unions were formed..have they outlived their usefulness? At least, in the public sector?

They've become players in the political arena..to a disproportionate extent. I see that as a bad thing.

In the trades...in dangerous factories where employers are prone to cut corners..sure...I like the union.

But white collar unions..have always seemed a bit...fake..to me.
Lol, yeah, you cling to those beliefs, and when your grandchildren are working factory jobs for pennies/hr in order to compete with 3rd world labor pools... Just remember how silly you were to side with corporations/big wigs in castrating the unions.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Lol, yeah, you cling to those beliefs, and when your grandchildren are working factory jobs for pennies/hr in order to compete with 3rd world labor pools... Just remember how silly you were to side with corporations/big wigs in castrating the unions.
Yeah..that's the party line---just as likely that our grandchildren will be working 20 hour weeks--controlling systems from home--and we have a permanent uneducated underclass living on the dole.

BTW...castrating the public employee unions does not equal doing away with the unions. It does mean the idea of tgrimming the ranks of public employees...and I see that as a good thing.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
My focus on this is the huge amount of political power Public Employee unions have...in California..they are the 880 lb. gorilla that sits where it wants...I'd like to declaw that monster.
I thought you were looking at it in a business fashion.

Contract and the number of members benefiting. How can those members who pay dues be paid differently. If an employee is written up and is a non-paying member, do they still get their representation paid for by the union or they have to pay their own way.

A lot of questions involved in this case.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
I am hesitant to trust SCOTUS on any case considering they are fine with occasionally and intentionally breaking the Constitution.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
The Bloods (U.S. government) vs. the Crips (unions)...

Let the games begin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies