Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
See, this is where you, and many others, are mistaken.

NO ONE is under the delusion we can stop killing of all kinds forever. But we CAN curb it and I think that's a noble goal.

Diesel and fertilizer are regulated. You actually have to register your name if you buy more than a certain quantity of it.
No you don't. What you need to do is provide ID if you buy more than a certain quantity from a single location in a single day. You can buy as much as you like from multiple suppliers over multiple days. You can buy as much diesel as you like, I've seen people with 250 gallon tanks in the pickup bed when I was living in AK. That 250 gal would make roughly a 2 ton ANFO bomb if so used.

Curbing homicide is a noble goal, no one disputes that's the goal. Issue is the means to address the goal, that's where the dispute is.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this idea, and of course gun nuts don't really care about the "well regulated militia" aspect, arsenals of guns in their homes satisfy their power fetish.

How about civilian armories for semi-autos and their ammo? Yes, you want to be able to keep weapons to stop the big bad gubmit. You have a right to peacefully assemble, but you can be arrested for doing so without a permit in many circumstances. Well every community should have a civilian armory where anyone can own and keep a gun and ammunition. Well regulated militia: check. No stockpiling ammo in ones own home.
Is this a serious post?
Can people keep ammunition for bolt actions? What about people that don't live in "communities"? We should build and staff millions of "civilian armories" and a new set of laws regulating them?

So many holes in this nonsense "idea"

Old 02-26-2018, 06:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No you don't. What you need to do is provide ID if you buy more than a certain quantity from a single location in a single day. You can buy as much as you like from multiple suppliers over multiple days. You can buy as much diesel as you like, I've seen people with 250 gallon tanks in the pickup bed when I was living in AK. That 250 gal would make roughly a 2 ton ANFO bomb if so used.

Curbing homicide is a noble goal, no one disputes that's the goal. Issue is the means to address the goal, that's where the dispute is.
The U.S. Finally Starts Regulating Sales Of Ammonium Nitrate - Business Insider

Quote:
Primarily used in fertilizer, when mixed with other substances the chemical becomes highly explosive, the new legislation will require anyone buying more than 25 pounds to register, be screened against a known terrorist list, and require any thefts to be reported within 24 hours.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:58 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Higher in the one incident. Overall, AR-15s have taken more lives when used during mass shootings than the incident at VA Tech.

And when people start using rocks and sticks, knives, swords, axes, weed burners, cars, boats, radio, clothing, boots, backpacks, eyewear, GPS, and the Internet to do what guns do...we'll talk. Until then...
You do realize that 4X as many people are murdered with knives in this country than with rifles of all types (of which the AR makes up a small percentage), right?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That covers pretty much every style of gun in existence.

Every type of gun out there has been used by the military at one time.

Single shots.

Bolt action

Pump action

Revolvers

Semi automatics.

You name it, they were all used by the military.......some still are.

There are thousands of specific models of guns that have never been used by the military, but they all fall into or are a variation of one of the above action types.

Yes, that "Weapons of War" Hillary and the rest of the Libs throw out covers about 97% of every weapon made in the last 150 years.

My favorite is "Ban all semi-automatics". That's also about 97% of all weapons produced in the world in the the last 100 years. It's like saying we need to ban automatic transmission cars cause drunk drivers go to fast to easily.

What they mean is "Eventually all weapons should be banned". They are all Weapons of War.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM

Yeah. 25 lbs per supplier per day. Says it right there in the article. Well it says anyone buying more than 25 lbs, but it's 25 lbs per day, but if you buy 25lbs at Lowe's how does Home Depot know you have 25lbs? How does Caroline Roses and Shrubs know you have 25lbs?

They don't which is why practically it works that you can buy as much as you want using multiple suppliers across multiple days.

ETA:This only applies to fertilizer with higher than 34% AN, typical 34-0-0 is unlimited.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Higher in the one incident. Overall, AR-15s have taken more lives when used during mass shootings than the incident at VA Tech.

And when people start using rocks and sticks, knives, swords, axes, weed burners, cars, boats, radio, clothing, boots, backpacks, eyewear, GPS, and the Internet to do what guns do...we'll talk. Until then...
No they haven't, prove your claim, most mass shootings have always used handguns. It's only very recently it switched to ARs. Columbine didn't use an AR it used shotguns and a TEC-9, Lubies was handguns, of the top 20 mass shootings semi-auto rifles aren't even used in more than half, actually 40% (8) and that's all semi autos not just an AR.

Even so, the vast majority of homicide doesn't even use rifles, but handguns.

You kidding me on the list? We use flame throwers to kill people, and sticks, rocks, cars are used too, what do you think guides JDAMs to target? That's GPS (which was a US military navigation aid), you think someone could jerry rig a Magellan to a bomb? The internet was a military digital comms system intended to be resilient to nuclear attack. They're all tools of war, because they're all used by the military in pursuit of military aims. Which would be used in war, thus a tool of war.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:39 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Wow, I was unaware that bullets entering a person’s body at high velocity was not actually devastating. Thank you, gun people, for enlightening me.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Wow, I was unaware that bullets entering a person’s body at high velocity was not actually devastating. Thank you, gun people, for enlightening me.
It depends on where you are hit, type of weapon, and type of bullet. Often perps survive multiple handgun round hits. Small .223/5.56 rounds are also often survivable. Ask our soldiers in Mogadishu, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Oh yeah, Vietnam too.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
If they aren't difficult to create, then why do mass killers use guns over homemade bombs?
You want to rationalize why mass murderers do something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies