Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 AM

16,280 posts, read 10,421,470 times

Advertisements

Here's your chance Trump fans. For a year and a half I have yet to hear one of you criticize your boy, not once. Since we all know nobody is perfect it lead to series credibility issues with those posters

Well here's your chance. Do you think the President was wrong here or do you actually believe that violent movies and video games are contributing to all this craziness? If you do please show your work, that should be interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/do...ing/ar-BBJtwu9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:33 AM

11,795 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Show my work - it's an opinion - quit trolling!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Show my work - it's an opinion - quit trolling!
Very simple. Do you agree with the President when he points the finger at video game and violent movies? Yes or no? If yes then please elaborate.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
There is something to this. What we see and hear has something to do with what we say and do. Otherwise there would be no education.

Kids who play videos games all the time instead of playing with friends are isolating themselves. I don't think it's the content of the games, although that matters, as much as the separation it produces. It would be an interesting study, if done unprejucdicedly.

The President is right in naming our entertainments as a cause or our social dysfunction, especially when it comes to kids. But, gun adoration is also a social dysfunction. Arms races used to be confined to states. Now they're practiced by people.

Guns ownership used to be limited to the responsible and to criminals. Now, the general public, subject to all the swirling emotional currents, has them. Since it practically and constitutionally impossible to take the public out of this equation, the only remedy for the situation is to keep the most dangerous weapons away from them. Which means from everybody.

I give President Trump and incomplete.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 AM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Very simple. Do you agree with the President when he points the finger at video game and violent movies? Yes or no? If yes then please elaborate.
It's fascinating how the Gunsters have changed their opinions on video games and silent movies. Back in the '70s they would INSIST that violent movies and TV shows had no influence on actual gun violence.

Nowdays they want to pin the blame on movies and video games. Sadly, many libs have switched sides as well, now insisting that violence in media has nothing to do with it and it is all about access to guns.

Rational people realize that the issue is multifactorial and includes BOTH the influence of violence in media as well as easy access to lethal weaponry.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
There is something to this. What we see and hear has something to do with what we say and do. Otherwise there would be no education.

Kids who play videos games all the time instead of playing with friends are isolating themselves. I don't think it's the content of the games, although that matters, as much as the separation it produces. It would be an interesting study, if done unprejucdicedly.

The President is right in naming our entertainments as a cause or our social dysfunction, especially when it comes to kids. But, gun adoration is also a social dysfunction. Arms races used to be confined to states. Now they're practiced by people.

Guns ownership used to be limited to the responsible and to criminals. Now, the general public, subject to all the swirling emotional currents, has them. Since it practically and constitutionally impossible to take the public out of this equation, the only remedy for the situation is to keep the most dangerous weapons away from them. Which means from everybody.

I give President Trump and incomplete.
This is a good post. However the President most definitely was talking about content, not the fact that video games retard social skills. And that's where I have to seriously disagree with him. There have been violent movies for 40 years, violent video games for perhaps half that long. Millions of kids have been exposed to them daily yet only a handful shot up schools.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Rational people realize that the issue is multifactorial and includes BOTH the influence of violence in media as well as easy access to lethal weaponry.
I don't think it's either. It's a mental health issue. While I am in support of gun laws that will make things like bump stocks and AR 15's illegal it will not stop the killing. I'm with the gun guys, NIkolas Cruz would have still killed kids. But with hand guns and other weapons he may not have killed as many, and that is why I support changing the laws. But he still would have killed.

I'm damned sure it wasn't video games or movies that caused him to do this.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:05 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
When I hear some of the more extreme gun advocates talking about how they might need the firepower to defend their home against multiple heavily armed Intruders or government forces, I admit that one of the thoughts that comes to mind is that these guys watch too many movies.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
When I hear some of the more extreme gun advocates talking about how they might need the firepower to defend their home against multiple heavily armed Intruders or government forces, I admit that one of the thoughts that comes to mind is that these guys watch too many movies.
But how many home invaders come in heavily armed? Hell most have no gun at all. I'm totally fine if a home owner wants to protect him/herself with a gun, they have that right and should retain that right. I just don't see the need for an AR or AK for home protection.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:13 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Europe also has access to violent movies and video games, they also have mental illness, why are we different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies