Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We End Gun Industry Immunity?
Yes 61 30.81%
No 132 66.67%
Maybe 0 0%
Other 5 2.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I barely remember a case about a rifle that fired inadvertently and killed a few people and it was known by the manufacturer at the time, and yet they ignored it. You would think that there was a legal case her for personal injury/death that they caused because of this, and yet the plaintiffs failed in their lawsuit because of this law (if memory serves, its been many years).

Remember, the NRA owns the GOP wholesale. Whatever they tell them to do, legal or otherwise, they do.
That might have been the Remington model 700.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That might have been the Remington model 700.
It was. I answered that right after he posted it.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
That is a wrong analysis. Car makers have been sued because their cars are unsafe or defective; beer sellers can be sued for negligence under dram shop laws and even knife makes can be sued for making a faulty product.
Not even close, you have proven what I'm saying is correct. The car is "unsafe" I 100% agree with you, I'll look up the "Dram law" never heard of it.....and again you say the knife is "faulty." Nothing you've provided has anything to do with someone knowingly picking up a gun and killing someone.

I believe Remington was sued for a FAULTY gun action, and many people won.

Quote:
What separates these industries from the gun industry?
Do you understand the difference in something being faulty (as you stated above) and someone killing someone because they want to?

Quote:
They don't have blanket immunity.
No company has "blanket immunity" for what you are stating above. You are trying to say that because someone picks up a gun and kills someone, that's the same as a faulty automobile.

Quote:
There is plenty the gun industry can do to make their guns safer. Believe me, once you make gun manufacturers, dealers, sellers and resellers civilly liable watch gun deaths drop and drop like a rock.
Then you need to do the same for everything that is made, cars, knives, ice cream makers, coffee pots, ladders, and the list goes on and on....

Maybe we should also include when a child pulls a TV off the stand and kills themselves, it's the TV manufactures fault, not the child's...

Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And gun makers can be, and have been, sued for unsafe or defective or defective products. This is all a red herring. All this is is a back door to gun bans and confiscation.
While gun manufacturers can be sued for a detective product, they or dealers or sellers can't be sued or failing to make their guns safer, can't be sued for their marketing techniques, can't be sued for making their weapons into higher functioning killing machines, can't be sued for negligence, etc. Why are they immune. Why not leave it to a jury?

The whole gun confiscation argument is the greatest red herring of them all.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
That is a wrong analysis. Car makers have been sued because their cars are unsafe or defective; beer sellers can be sued for negligence under dram shop laws and even knife makes can be sued for making a faulty product.

What separates these industries from the gun industry?

They don't have blanket immunity.

There is plenty the gun industry can do to make their guns safer. Believe me, once you make gun manufacturers, dealers, sellers and resellers civilly liable watch gun deaths drop and drop like a rock.
So, I just looked up the dram shop laws....and you are really equating the overselling of someone who is completely drunk, and the bartender continues to sell him beer/liquor to someone who goes out, buys a gun and kills someone?

That has to be one of the stupidest argument I've ever heard. And BTW, you do make some good arguments in other threads, I'd be ashamed to have even posted what you did.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
While gun manufacturers can be sued for a detective product, they or dealers or sellers can't be sued or failing to make their guns safer, can't be sued for their marketing techniques, can't be sued for making their weapons into higher functioning killing machines, can't be sued for negligence, etc. Why are they immune. Why not leave it to a jury?

The whole gun confiscation argument is the greatest red herring of them all.
Then everyone who upgrades an engine and kills someone, its the OEMs fault? If someone goes out and modifies the weapon to make it illegal, it's the fault of the manufacture?

feinstien disagree's with you....

Old 03-24-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not even close, you have proven what I'm saying is correct. The car is "unsafe" I 100% agree with you, I'll look up the "Dram law" never heard of it.....and again you say the knife is "faulty." Nothing you've provided has anything to do with someone knowingly picking up a gun and killing someone.

I believe Remington was sued for a FAULTY gun action, and many people won.

Do you understand the difference in something being faulty (as you stated above) and someone killing someone because they want to?

No company has "blanket immunity" for what you are stating above. You are trying to say that because someone picks up a gun and kills someone, that's the same as a faulty automobile.

Then you need to do the same for everything that is made, cars, knives, ice cream makers, coffee pots, ladders, and the list goes on and on....

Maybe we should also include when a child pulls a TV off the stand and kills themselves, it's the TV manufactures fault, not the child's...
Here is a link to a dram shop law.

Dram Shop Laws - FindLaw

If tobacco and alcoholic companies and sellers can be civilly liable I don't see the difference with guns.

Smart guns, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_gun, are an alternative. Why is the NRA and many in the gun industry so against them?

Lift gun industry immunity and these guns would take off.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 03-24-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 06:34 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
While gun manufacturers can be sued for a detective product, they or dealers or sellers can't be sued or failing to make their guns safer, can't be sued for their marketing techniques, can't be sued for making their weapons into higher functioning killing machines, can't be sued for negligence, etc. Why are they immune.
Auto manufacturers are not sued for not making their automobiles safer. For instance, no manufacturer has been sued (or can be sued) for not putting self-braking systems into every model they manufacture.

They certainly can't be sued for "marketing techniques."

Nor can they be sued for building high powered vehicles that take extraordinary skill to drive or vehicles that can go beyond all legal American speed limits.

What you're doing is this:

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...kZlLDGv88A.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, I just looked up the dram shop laws....and you are really equating the overselling of someone who is completely drunk, and the bartender continues to sell him beer/liquor to someone who goes out, buys a gun and kills someone?

That has to be one of the stupidest argument I've ever heard. And BTW, you do make some good arguments in other threads, I'd be ashamed to have even posted what you did.
The analogy with dram shop laws is not with the manufacturers but the dealer. Right now the dealer has no responsibility for selling a gun to anyone that comes through the door, provided they meet the state minimum requirements and checks.

Why isn't there liability if The Seller knows this person will be using this weapon for illegal activities?

Listen, these are very hard cases to prove even if you lift gun industry immunity.

Why give the gun industry special protection that did not even exist until 2005?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Auto manufacturers are not sued for not making their automobiles safer. For instance, no manufacturer has been sued (or can be sued) for not putting self-braking systems into every model they manufacture.

They certainly can't be sued for "marketing techniques."

Nor can they be sued for building high powered vehicles that take extraordinary skill to drive or vehicles that can go beyond all legal American speed limits.

What you're doing is this:

[IMG]https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...kZlLDGv88A.gif[/IMG]
I had the tobacco industry in mind when I mentioned marketing techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies