Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,418,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Who would be able to eat dinner knowing they left bleeding children laying around while they stood outside twiddling their thumbs?
I find it incredibly sad that they left those kids to fend for themselves. I guess a lone officer was one thing (still unfortunate) but - FOUR?

Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 11:21 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,465,853 times
If they don't fire the other deputies then SRO probably has a grievence case

Old 02-24-2018, 11:23 AM

23,551 posts, read 13,766,234 times
Reading this rather reminds me of the situations where the Captain left the ship first.

Such as,
Costa Concordia: coast guard to captain: 'Get back on board the ship!' - Telegraph

It leaves me with the shaking anger of, "Then what the hell are we paying you for?".

Further, knowing at least something about https://alerrt.org/
doctrine, well, at least some parts of the country have learned what needs to be done in the years since Columbine.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,441,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Yeah right, HE was the one responsible for the government's multiple failures that cost 14 kids and 3 of their teachers their lives, NOT the government agencies that missed 40-some opportunities to either get this crackpot on the no-buy list, or stop him in the planning stages when told of his plans, or stop him when he was actually carrying out that plan.

Do you have a mental deficiency of some type?
So you are against a more thorough background check and vetting procedure that might prevent a mentally ill teenager from purchasing a military grade assault rifle, yet you want to blame the government when someone killed 17 kids because he had no problem buying an AR-15.

You might want to grab a mirror and repeat that last part.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,553,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
True. And teachers, overwhelmingly, do not want to be armed. I am a retired high school librarian.
The morning after the Columbine shooting the administration held a meeting and included me, one of the few with all- day direct contact with kids. Asked me what I would do. What could I do with 2000sf, 3 exits, many hiding spaces, and flooor to ceiling windows and up to 75 kids at any time.
It is a frightening thought, arming staff is not the answer.
There are a number of teachers who have been ding it for several years now. So to act like there are none up to the job is nonsense. There is no "the answer". There are a full range of answers and arming those who will protect their own life along with the lives of children is part of it.
Put some moms in the class room with guns and see what happens when a shooter walks in the door.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,442,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Maybe so, but what makes you think that if a shooting occurred at another school that a resource officer or the local sheriff deputies will come in to exchange fire with the shooter. Most likely not. Maybe not because of cowardice but the benefits may not be worth the risks, in their mind.
Neil Gardner, a sheriff's deputy assigned to Columbine High School, exchanged gunfire with Eric Harris that day. Now there were other issues with him. He had left the school to go get lunch just before the attack and as such was not inside the school at the time. He came back and exchanged gun fire from beside his car as the shooters were already inside the school.

Eleven of the Columbine victims were still alive at this time and Gardner never went in even after the killers moved away from the windows. Tactical response to school shootings were different at that time though as mentioned by several of us here across C-D. Police established a perimeter then. After Columbine, the response was changed nationwide. Police were expected to enter the school and engage the shooter(s). From what I can tell, that's whether there's one officer on scene or four.

These four deputies for Coward County are pond scum. They signed up for this job. It's on them for not going on

Old 02-24-2018, 11:33 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,441,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The trigger finger on that weapon belonged to a complete and total piece of human garbage -- and most of the Left-leaning idiots at this site would only be concerned with registering him to vote (Democratic, of course).

There is a small, but increasing percentage of the drugged-out and completely dysfunctional infesting the streets of our major cities; they need nothing more than to be "taken off the board" and locked away. If they can be rehabilitated, fine; but right now our society lacks the guts, teeth, and other "anatomical" definitions of substance to carry this out.

And it's quite possible that a future crisis -- be it public safety or public health -- will eventually lead to much sterner measures in the name of expediency.
Sounds like you're a big fan of the Third Reich.

Shocker.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
I expect that we'll learn that the four did not fail to act out of cowardice, but were ordered to stand down.
Stand down by whom? If it's on the radio, we'll find out. But that goes against the expected tactical response to school shootings. If they were ordered to do that, we might as well disband the police departments.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
This isn't about these 4 guys. It's about almost any 4 guys in the same situation, sheriffs or not. We've seen it happen over and over. Unless you are a front line soldier, seeing this and living it everyday, you won't be able to deal it. And even trained soldiers sometimes can't.
I've actusally never heard of this happening. I'm sure it has, but perhaps not to this magnitude. But what about the 130 deputies from another county who had to come and pick up the pieces from the four dumb butts who stood there as kids were dying?

Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 AM

9,913 posts, read 5,582,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So you are against a more thorough background check and vetting procedure that might prevent a mentally ill teenager from purchasing a military grade assault rifle, yet you want to blame the government when someone killed 17 kids because he had no problem buying an AR-15.

You might want to grab a mirror and repeat that last part.
Good God, am I talking to an eggplant? Which part of my post even remotely suggests I'm against a more thorough background check and vetting procedure? Since you evidently have severe reading comprehension problems, let me point out to you that I explicitly stated THIS NUT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE NO-BUY LIST BUT WASN'T.

Now I'm almost positive you have some sort of mental deficiency. You should probably be on the no-buy list too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies