Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You are absolutely 100% correct ... and not just theoretically correct, we have been down this path before. The 'trickle-down' theory does not work as claimed.

In fact the last time it was tried it launched the great growing wealth gap ( which people are so angry about but don't really understand) and froze the growth of the middle class dead cold.

Here we go with round two of that same nonsense ...

Attachment 195705

Attachment 195706

Attachment 195707

Attachment 195708
My company was one that handed out $1000 bonuses. Fortune 500 Company; top 100 companies to work for. We just laid off about 400 people in December and have now been advised as of last week ~ to expect that trend to continue.

My workload has already tripled since last May and they just tightened the guidelines in our evaluation process - meaning it will be incredibly difficult to qualify for a raise next year.

So - NO. Those great big tax cuts are NOT going to trickle down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Corporations - as the right so loves to remind us - are not in the business of "hiring people." They are in the business of making money. Unfortunately for them, they still need to hire people to do that. At least Republicans made the "making money" part easier by handing them huge amounts of it for doing nothing. No wonder the layoffs are starting to roll in... you don't need as many people to make money when your bought stooges in the government will give it to you for free.
See my post above. Layoffs are coming in my VERY profitable in my Fortune 500 Company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Warren Buffet announces that with the Republican changes in tax policies, his company has benefitted to the tune of an extra $29 billion dollars. So much for Trump's con-game of caring for ordinary Americans. The GOP still only looks to help the rich and their corporations.

https://www.axios.com/warren-buffett...78c3a5818.html
I hate it when American companies make so much profit.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Corporations - as the right so loves to remind us - are not in the business of "hiring people." They are in the business of making money. Unfortunately for them, they still need to hire people to do that. At least Republicans made the "making money" part easier by handing them huge amounts of it for doing nothing. No wonder the layoffs are starting to roll in... you don't need as many people to make money when your bought stooges in the government will give it to you for free.
We are close to full employment and this working stiff expects to have more than 50% of his retirement income derived from stock sales. When stocks prices increase so does the wealth of a large percentage of Americans.

You live in some strange world where only the wealthy own stocks.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My company was one that handed out $1000 bonuses. Fortune 500 Company; top 100 companies to work for. We just laid off about 400 people in December and have now been advised as of last week ~ to expect that trend to continue.

My workload has already tripled since last May and they just tightened the guidelines in our evaluation process - meaning it will be incredibly difficult to qualify for a raise next year.

So - NO. Those great big tax cuts are NOT going to trickle down.

See my post above. Layoffs are coming in my VERY profitable in my Fortune 500 Company.
How is it possible for your work to triple if you were doing 40 hours of work a week to start with? Are you putting in 120 hour weeks?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I hate it when American companies make so much profit.
It would be so much better if a government led by Donald Trump had that money.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How is it possible for your work to triple if you were doing 40 hours of work a week to start with? Are you putting in 120 hour weeks?
Who works 40 hours a week these days? It's 50 -60 hours or you might as well not go in.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

There really are people out there who believe in trickle down economics!
If you were intelligent enough to understand, you wouldn't be a democrat,,,,,

Old 02-25-2018, 10:36 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Trickle-down fails spectacularly.

Like it did in the early 90s after Reagan's mid 80s policy.

Like it did in 2008 after Dubya's 2001 policy.

Maybe it'll take a few years this time, also.

But Trumplings say:

"We love our extra five bucks each paycheck."

You know why they failed? Because Reagan and Bush were two of the biggest spending Presidents in American history.

Reagan raised taxes 5 times, doubled the debt, and dramatically increased the sizeof the federal government.

Bush was the biggest spending President in history until Obama, and Trump is well on his way to beating both of them.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
If you were intelligent enough to understand, you wouldn't be a democrat,,,,,
There's not a shred of difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Well, Clarabell, you have two choices. Spend your time on the internet complaining. Or learning about investing. I can assure you Warren Buffett gives no time to worrying about the things constantly harped upon.

Be an owner, or be owned. It is really that simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Warren Buffet announces that with the Republican changes in tax policies, his company has benefitted to the tune of an extra $29 billion dollars. So much for Trump's con-game of caring for ordinary Americans. The GOP still only looks to help the rich and their corporations.

https://www.axios.com/warren-buffett...78c3a5818.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies