Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times

Advertisements

I am a 6’2” man and can tell you that MANY accommodations like ATMs, gas pumps, urinals, sinks, appliances, air condition thermostats, some doorways that are often placed so low to the ground that I can’t reach them or am forced to crouch over them. With a bad back, it is not comfortable so I tend to avoid using these. I can only guess that they put these very low because of the ADA. I am sympathetic to the handicapped, but can’t help but think that these conveniences are meant to serve a small minority while negatively affecting the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Where the Hell are you finding these places ? Most bathrooms have a low urinal and a high urinal, ATM machines have always been at the same height. Gas pumps, what are you talking about, they are all very tall. Appliances, thermostats ?

I'm tall myself, and never have had a problem with any of those.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I'm 6"2 as well and don't have a problem with any of these. I'm also a right leg amputee, so when I am in my wheelchair if it's not a good leg day, it helps to have things lower. I typically don't have much f of a problem with these either. It's odd what we complain about sometimes.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:26 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
First world problems.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:56 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Where the Hell are you finding these places ? Most bathrooms have a low urinal and a high urinal, ATM machines have always been at the same height. Gas pumps, what are you talking about, they are all very tall. Appliances, thermostats ?

No, they haven’t. These are all in the last few years that I’ve noticed. Before that, public phones were also low to the ground, but cell phones helped that. You should get out more. Thermostats and fixtures in apartments, some hotels are not at eye level, but at my mid chest level for example. ATM, gas pump displays are usually below my waist level.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 02-24-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I always thought the lower public drinking fountains were for children.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I’m 6’7...the problem is not new. But your back pain may be, exacerbating the issue. As you get older it’s more and more important to work on your core and stretches. Consider working with a physical therapist or even a yoga instructor that can put together some stretches to support your back.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Has the Americans with Disabilities Act gone too far?

No.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

No kidding. My kid is 6'2 and my ex is 6'4. I've never heard complaints except for low ceilings in old houses.
OP needs to take up yoga. It will stretch muscles, improve flexibility, and relax the mind.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:13 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I am a 6’2” man and can tell you that MANY accommodations like ATMs, gas pumps, urinals, sinks, appliances, air condition thermostats, some doorways that are often placed so low to the ground that I can’t reach them or am forced to crouch over them. With a bad back, it is not comfortable so I tend to avoid using these. I can only guess that they put these very low because of the ADA. I am sympathetic to the handicapped, but can’t help but think that these conveniences are meant to serve a small minority while negatively affecting the majority.
There are far worse examples of lawyers (who are able-bodied themselves) purposely looking for reasons to sue any and everyone to make a quick buck. Many pretend to be doing it for the disabled, but in realty most are gaming the system that allows them to get a new boat at the expense of the insurance companies, businesses, or us the taxpayers.

Sadly I know some of these creeps, and they are in some instances the lowest form of bottom feeding losers we have in our society.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies