Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And year after year the violent crime rate goes down, in spite of the ignorant rantings and wailing from the anti gun nuts.

Those pesky facts again. Although we have seen a slight spike since 2010, they are still far below the peak of 1993.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
It is not unusual for a person to own a pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun. Throw in a .22 or two and some people think they have found a gun nut.

Hardly.
I have the minimum number of firearms required to cover the range of tactical scenarios that I reasonably think have a chance of occurring, that also double for sport.

Don't need or want any more than that. But my collection - all 5 weapons of it - would likely prompt an hysteric to label me a gun nut.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have two friends who have changed their plans already. As a matter of fact, one couple decided to go to San Juan after David suggested Peurto Rico, since our govenrment lack of relief efforts has left them hurting. I decided to go to Arizona instead of Fort Myers for a month this year.

It's been a long time since we have heard any common sense spoken in public. I'm ready for the Parkland Survivors to run for office.

Good for them if they do. Hopefully they will learn the correct facts before then. I'm pretty sure not one thing Emma screeched was correct... and I haven't heard one thing from those survivors yet that is common sense and would make a positive change. I take that back, I agree on two things that have been brought up.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM

1,675 posts, read 576,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe time to get away with gun free zones!

Next we should discuss DUI and killing innocent pedestrians, other drivers , etc.
Are we blaming the car of should the punishments be more harsh?

Why hasn't there been a call to have every driver before they start driving to conduct an alcohol test?

Sounds ridiculous and just as ridiculous to take everyone's gu for a few scre. Ups.
Read my comment again, I never suggested guns should be taken away. I suggested the opposite that they will probably never be taken away. So stop worrying, All the debate is just to boost weapons' sales, no politician is interested in banning guns, they do as told by lobbyists, that will not changed anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
33,000 gun deaths per year is a bit more than a few dozen. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ce-charts-data
Read my comment again, the cycle of what I'm talking about: shooting, debate, increase sales is related to mass shooting (a few dozen every time), not every day shootings. The article mentioned it itself. Mass shooting accounts to 1.5% of deaths. That is what makes people want the government to take action and others to buy more arms. 2/3 of all gun related deaths are from suicides.

People need to read at least 3 times a comment before responding, and read their own links.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
So .. if its a people problem and not a gun problem, getting rid of all the guns should not matter since they are not the problem and they do not make us any safer? Guns are irrelevant and removing them should not be an issue.

You are correct. If by some magical wish , that gets granted by a genie you could make every firearm and all knowledge on how to make them disappear overnight sure, we would have no more firearm violence.

But , as we can see in the UK , they have now moved on to knife bans. I wonder why ? Why won't the UK trust it's subjects with sharp pointy things ? They are even looking into banning steak knives... SMH...

I love it. The rhetoric is exactly the same , just a different tool. A quote from the article:

"They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen."

BBC NEWS | Health | Doctors' kitchen knives ban call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies