Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right wingers hate cops when they go after Cliven Bundy. They love cops if they shoot Philando Castile.

Long and short of it.
Left-wingers hate guns when they're used in school shootings. They love guns when they're used to massacre civilians in illegal wars overseas.

Long and short of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Understood. I saw the thread you are talking about, although I will confess, I didn't read it. If I remember correctly, it was created by the same poster who said his ideal (stateless) society would allow "recreational nukes."
That was me!

Recreational nukes for everyone!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right wingers hate cops when they go after Cliven Bundy. They love cops if they shoot Philando Castile.

Long and short of it.
Yep. If the police deal with a bunch of crazy, armed, white "sovereign citizens," the right hates them. But if they shoot an unarmed black person, the right loves them and will make every excuse imaginable as to why the guy should have been shot. Their partisan reasoning and bigotry is so obvious.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Left-wingers hate guns when they're used in school shootings. They love guns when they're used to massacre civilians in illegal wars overseas.

Long and short of it.
Um, no... it is the RIGHT who's always spouting off about how we need to "bomb THEM back to the stone age." Who the target is will be determined later depending upon popular opinion and desired war profits.

If you're going to make up amusing generalizations, at least try to get the facts straight.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Um, no... it is the RIGHT who's always spouting off about how we need to "bomb THEM back to the stone age." Who the target is will be determined later depending upon popular opinion and desired war profits.

If you're going to make up amusing generalizations, at least try to get the facts straight.
Where was the "antiwar" left when Obama was ordering 26,000 drone bombings in 8 years? When he was ordering the bombings of funerals, weddings, schools, and hospitals?

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.co...ikes-than-bush

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...trikes/511454/

Great subheadline--"His choices made unjust strikes predictable and inevitable—and with Donald Trump poised to take power, the precedents he set are all the more alarming."

Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep. If the police deal with a bunch of crazy, armed, white "sovereign citizens," the right hates them. But if they shoot an unarmed black person, the right loves them and will make every excuse imaginable as to why the guy should have been shot. Their partisan reasoning and bigotry is so obvious.
The left:

"Cops are gun-crazed racists who shoot unarmed black people constantly."

"Only cops should have guns."

Old 02-25-2018, 11:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
True. I probably painted them all with the same broad brush somewhat. I also could have asked the question from the opposite perspective, too. Democrats On GOPss Love Affair AND Hatred of Cops, But asking it the way I did is timely given the discussion over the last ten days.
You have.

But I won't hold it against you.
I chalk it up as emotions. Emotions are irrelevant to me, I'll excuse your suggestion to me to fornicate myself with an AR15...

What I have been seeing is, many who call for gun control and restricting my rights, the rights of others current and future generations, believes that police and military should only be armed.

However, my point has always been, you can not rely solely on the government to protect you, that is your personal responsibility as an adult. And many times throughout history even this most recent heinous attack in Florida, we have seen not only when seconds matter help is but minutes away, but an utter failure to act when these precious seconds matter by those trusted with the authority granted to use lethal force as a deterrent.

I look at specifics, as well as the whole picture, I do not have a short sighted approach.
FBI was tipped twice about credible threats of violence.
Local police responded 39 times to this individuals house.
I agree the scumbag should never have had access to firearms.
The SROS did not go into the school. 3 other deputies arrived on scene did not enter the school.
That is disturbing. That is ineptitude.

That is why I believe teachers, and school faculty should have their right to keep and bear arms on school grounds they are in constant daily contact with children and have a more "intimate" if you will, relationship with their students and are more likely willing to defend them with lethal force if need be.
That gym teacher, shielded students. That speaks volumes. I'm sure a pistol/rifle/shotgun in that man's hands would have stopped it.
He by all definitions is a hero.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Where was the "antiwar" left when Obama was ordering 26,000 drone bombings in 8 years? When he was ordering the bombings of funerals, weddings, schools, and hospitals?
The same place your boy Bush was when he started the crap over there.

Both parties in power do it, but only right-wing voters demand it and get a kick out of it.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Without realizing it, the right is proving a point some of us are trying to tell them. Stay with me and I'll connect the dots. The right-wingers on this board are saying that all of the left want to ban and confiscate all guns from everyone. That's not true, but that's what they say. My feeling is that anyone who wants to ban and confiscate all guns are so far to the left that they're about to fall off the political spectrum. And they probably account for a very small fraction of people.

So now we're being told by the right that those on the left are "cop worshippers" who expect the government to handle everything. But it wasn't too long ago at the peak of BLM that the right told us the left hates cops and doesn't shed a tear when they're killed in the line of duty. So which is it? Can you admit that both are talking points and neither are true of the majority?

There are only two main political parties in the US. To think that one size fits all is pretty silly. A lot of people have different opinions from each other in both the Republican and Democrat parties. And, yes, the Democrats try to throw shade on the right-wingers, too. It's silly when either side does it and should stop if you really want to debate issues. If you want to look stupid and just troll, then by all means keep doing what you're doing.
Thank you, Joe. I appreciate this post.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The left:

"Cops are gun-crazed racists who shoot unarmed black people constantly."

"Only cops should have guns."
Strawman arguments from a right-winger. Big shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies