Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,667,737 times

Advertisements

US' top North Korea diplomat announces surprise retirement

Joseph Yun, the US State Department's top diplomat in charge of North Korea policy is retiring at the end of the week.

"I think this is a huge loss for the US government at a critical moment," Abraham Denmark, the director of the Asia Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "He was a great advocate for dialogue and for diplomacy, and I think it's unfortunate that his voice will no longer be in the conversation inside the US government," Denmark said.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:29 AM

Another article, from Stars and Stripes (newspaper aimed at American Military), about Yun's departure:

State Department point man on North Korea, Joe Yun, to retire Friday

The State Department's point-man on North Korea, Joseph Yun, will leave his post on Friday.

His surprise departure reflects the widespread frustration within the State Department at diplomats' relative lack of power in the Trump administration, according to someone familiar with Yun's thinking.

It will leave another gaping hole in the United States' staffing on Korean issues. Washington has still not nominated an ambassador to South Korea, 13 months into the Trump administration.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,505,601 times
If the diplomat suddenly moves his family to the Yukon Territory its time to get out of Dodge.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:34 AM

78,553 posts, read 60,762,573 times
I'm so jaded about Chinese interference in the koreas and NK's merely using negotiation as a means to extract cash etc. that I have to seriously ask what impact will this really have?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm so jaded about Chinese interference in the koreas and NK's merely using negotiation as a means to extract cash etc. that I have to seriously ask what impact will this really have?
Fair question, Mathguy. The short term impact is that the U.S. now has no top diplomat with a true depth of experience in North Korea and South Korea.

Yen's abrupt resignation "for personal reasons" is interesting is interesting in light of Cha's name being yanked from consideration for Ambassador to South Korea last month. Cha was supposedly at the top of the list but after he penned a piece about reserving military intervention as a last resort, suddenly he was kicked out of consideration. From what I've read, it sounds like Yun has sort of been filling in the gap, working with both South Korea and Japan. And, Yun also stressed negotiation over military action. So, we now have a gap in our team on several fronts in that region.

In the longer term, it also raises questions about which policy the administration is really going to pursue towards North Korea -- more negotiating or the "bloody nose" approach. I agree with you that NK is using negotiation for its own purposes, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd want to go to war with them if another alternative is possible.

On a third level, the abrupt departure of another long term State Department person is another headache for Tillerson, and, of course, for the President as well.

Too early to see what, if anything, this means, but on that last point alone, Yun's surprise retirement is part of the story of what's going on at the State Department.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM

78,553 posts, read 60,762,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Fair question, Mathguy. The short term impact is that the U.S. now has no top diplomat with a true depth of experience in North Korea and South Korea.

Yen's abrupt resignation "for personal reasons" is interesting is interesting in light of Cha's name being yanked from consideration for Ambassador to South Korea last month. Cha was supposedly at the top of the list but after he penned a piece about reserving military intervention as a last resort, suddenly he was kicked out of consideration. From what I've read, it sounds like Yun has sort of been filling in the gap, working with both South Korea and Japan. And, Yun also stressed negotiation over military action. So, we now have a gap in our team on several fronts in that region.

In the longer term, it also raises questions about which policy the administration is really going to pursue towards North Korea -- more negotiating or the "bloody nose" approach. I agree with you that NK is using negotiation for its own purposes, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd want to go to war with them if another alternative is possible.

On a third level, the abrupt departure of another long term State Department person is another headache for Tillerson, and, of course, for the President as well.

Too early to see what, if anything, this means, but on that last point alone, Yun's surprise retirement is part of the story of what's going on at the State Department.
I don't believe that any US action is going to change things much with NK at this time.

There won't be a war unless NK starts one due to the proximity of Seoul to the DMZ.

China wants NK as a belligerent as it gives them power of negotiation with the west so they have no interest in changing the status quo either.

As such, we waste way too much time bothering with NK. If they do something, counter it. Otherwise ignore them.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:38 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,695,777 times
They guy is in his 60s and has reached retirement age and wants to enjoy it.

Only CNN would attempt to make it into something else. Their Trump derangement knows no bounds.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM

13,698 posts, read 9,030,868 times
As the article rather carefully notes, the retiring gentleman is a 'special representative for North Korean polity', since we do not have diplomatic relations with North Korea.

We do have diplomatic relations with South Korea; sadly, we lack a diplomat to that country.

We also seem to lack diplomats to many countries, although President Trump did nominate, and the Senate duly advise and consented on, Ms. Gingrich being our representative to the Holy See in Rome.

Appointments - Donald J. Trump | American Foreign Service Association

Old 02-27-2018, 12:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times
Not to worry, Trump is on top of it. He ate at a Chinese restaurant once, and he thinks the waiter there would be a perfect fit for this job. Chinese, Korean, all the same to Trump, and he hires only the very best people.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:23 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not to worry, Trump is on top of it. He ate at a Chinese restaurant once, and he thinks the waiter there would be a perfect fit for this job. Chinese, Korean, all the same to Trump, and he hires only the very best people.
Maybe he can add North Korea to Jared’s honey-do list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies