Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

I'm working with my sheriff and will be reaching out soon for a public opinion that will cover what a proactive solution would look like which would explain my absence here in the past week.

Here is what I am proposing.

Safeguarding schools initiative.

Since the attack of 9/11 at the age of 15, I have seen the flaws first hand in what has become a plaguing issue in America and following my first lock down drill for the event of a terrorist attack/active shooter response I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, our schools and how we approach the issue is not acceptable.

Thus I present to you an initiative that hopefully with the acceptance of the public, school superintendents, sheriff's offices, state and federal legislature will properly and effectively safe guard our most precious possesions, our children.

I am calling upon congress, to reverse a bill that makes schools entirely gun free zones.
Time after time we have unfortunately seen first hand and through the media, how ineffective the current model is to stopping, preventing, and deterring heinous atrocities amongst our youth and educators.

The message is often lost with knee jerk emotional responses to ban guns, and alter features to calling for some sort of reform on a constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms.
The arms are not the problem. They play an insignificant role. Implements will only change, and while guns may be banned, it would only affect those whom of society: obey laws. Also, test the ingenuity of those bent on death, destruction, and senseless acts of violence.

We must focus on the incentive, intent, and motive, of these heinous acts.

1. Armed deterrence on school campuses.
First and foremost, the natural right to life, self preservation, self defense is void on public school grounds.
I am suggesting schools allow faculty members their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms on school grounds, to thwart evil the moment it strikes with a repeal of gun free zone for all.

It creates an inviting incentive for the deranged whom can't be begged bought or reasoned with.
The typical active shooting event lasts for 10-15 minutes.
Precious seconds matter in these events. Police have proven in the most recent atrocity to be in effective by themselves, and in past events, outside of their control, wasting that precious time to get to the event in a timely manner. Due to patrol areas, congested traffic, etc etc.

Since it is a credible legitimate question parents may raise, the weapons in school hands, shall have RFID/smart gun technology. A transponder in a ring, bracelet, wrist watch that will disengage the safety/sear/hammer to discharge the weapon. Should a student decide to disarm a teacher that is carrying concealed, the student can not discharge the weapon.
Or having a container locked within close proximity of the teacher inside the classroom.

2. Incentives and training clause
School faculty members are screened pre employment, the outliers mirror that of firearm ownership. Felony convictions, history of mental illness/adjudicated mentally defect in a court of law bars employment, as well as bars ownership of firearms.
Allow faculty members their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms, and during summer break, actively train with local law enforcement to properly respond to an active shooter, with the use of simunition rounds. Those that participate shall receive at the very least a 12k dollar per year raise.

These rounds are non lethal and come in a variety of calibers for handguns and rifles.
I have participated in simunition force on force training in the past.
This will also be a requirement as it is the closest thing one will come to actually shooting someone.
It will serve as preparedness for the event, develop and hone skills to thwart a heinous attacker necessary for the proper defense of innocent lives.

(I am going to be having a public poll on finding out how many would voluntarily serve as armed guards in addition to school faculty. Subject to law enforcement screening and become possible auxiliary of sheriff's department much like C.O.P.-citizens observation patrol)
I would proudly volunteer to stand guard at any school whether at an entry way, on foot patrol around the property.

3. Responsible media act.
Among the three is Motive.
The media publicised the tactics used by these heinous scumbags. It serves as motivation for others to follow as it has been reported by previous mass murderers who descended upon schools that they studied the actions and tactics to weapons used by others in past events. I am calling upon the media to stop reporting names, showing footage of graphic nature, and reporting on the weapons used, tactics used and any commentary and social media from being circulated. It has become almost like a sick contest to see who can garner the most deaths counted.
It motivates and inspires others.

4. A significant overhaul to law enforcement.
This will focus on intent.
When a credible threat of violence is present in person, online, or overheard, see something, say something, is only effective if law enforcement enforces law. This past event in florida sickens me that police have been in contact with this individual 39 times, reported to the FBI twice for credible threats.
Make no mistake about it, the scumbag should not have had access to firearms.
Nor should he have been able to follow through with his nefarious plot.
You can't say bomb on an airplane, fire in a theater, nor should you be able to profess a desire to become a professional school shooter.
This isn't a crude joke, it is a credible threat that should be taken serious.

Between romanticism of these events through mainstream media, and failure to follow through with investigating these vile heinous individuals, and an unarmed populace in an institution of education, you have the perfect recipe for providing those intent to do harm. They learn from each other's mistakes, learn of what weapons are used, learn that when seconds matter, help is but minutes away.

The last event proved armed deputies outside of the school failed to act.

There should be no reason why force can not be met with extreme prejudice to protect the lives of the innocent.
I am not calling for a glorification of violence.

I am calling for the justified use of lethal force to thwart an evil perpetrator of life, liberty, and Pursuits of Happiness and providing the protection that cash aboard bank trucks receive.

A bank truck offers greater incentive to being attacked than a classroom full of innocent children. Yet they aren't attacked frequently.
An armed deterrence that is trained and proficient seems to work well in this application. Why can't it for school children?

Especially with faculty whom have a relationship with students on a daily basis, who may be more motivated to protect and defend the students than anyone else.

5. Access security.
In addition to guards at all entry ways, I would propose and call upon congress for a budget to be put in place to put metal detectors with the presence of an armed guards at the door ways and entry points to sound a distinctive separate alarm from the fire alarm. This will enforce and ensure weapons are not brought in by students and those posing as students.
Nobody goes in unless registered with the school as a parent, family member, legal guardian of a student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 11:28 AM

736 posts, read 353,427 times
Have strict rules or laws for entering schools. Each school is surrounded by a fence, which is monitored by close monitor surveillance. The violation of entering the school through non designated areas can have serious consequence such as heavy fines, jail, or other penalties like at airports, jails, nuclear power plants, ect. All students enter and exit through a check point that is manned by a small police force at designated hours, 7-8 am, 2:30 pm ect. The check point has bullet proof double doors with a metal detector. Guards check bags when entering. After these designated hours the police force disburse.

This allows the security and police force to control the entrances and exists of the school like at an airport or nuclear power plant. It allows the police force to be used as an effective deterrence without the need to hire additional security personnel by the school. The only costly part are the entrances, but that is a one time expense, which I would think would be a cheaper solution that hiring more armed security personnel. The close circuit surveillance is a simple solution allowing a single person to monitor the entire perimeter of the school.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:43 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
You want to discuss only non-solutions?
Move on. You have nothing to contribute other than anti gunm hence this thread is focused on other things that are associated with schools. You know, like a car, air bags, seat belts, electronic safety devices.
Well, we care allot about our cars that people go in and ride, why not focus on where our kids are every day for several hours.. Move on Troyfan..Unless you have something valid to add.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Nothing will. But it will make it harder for them and it's the best alternative we have.

We just saw the failures of the FBI, the sheriffs, etc. We saw it at Columbine. You know what is said about trying the same thing over and over...
Focus Troy. Look at your local school, and see what we as adults can do to implement POSITIVE change to protect our children at SCHOOLS. Not all the other issues. Those are being beat up elsewhere.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Well, throwing books at a perp, which they're currently told to do, won't help. I think any mechanism to secure doors is a good idea--provided, of course, that they're not locking a perp in the room with them. I'm not convinced that herding a bunch of kids in one direction, outdoors, is a good idea, given that another person could be lying-in-wait. Better that they scatter.

And, in addition to maintaining security, public schools need to put the kibosh on the everyday mayhem that passes for acceptable in the halls of their schools--students acting like animals, and running all over the place in the halls...all because lax school administrators accomodate out-of-control kids.

It's easy for an evildoer to not only gain access to unsecured schools, but also go unnoticed amid such chaos and confusion.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Armed drones that can fly down school hallways and drop the bad guys. Even the cops hiding in their cars should be able to respond with a drone-it doesn't take any courage.

[/sarcasm] mostly...

Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Well, throwing books at a perp, which they're currently told to do, won't help. I think any mechanism to secure doors is a good idea--provided, of course, that they're not locking a perp in the room with them. I'm not convinced that herding a bunch of kids in one direction, outdoors, is a good idea, given that another person could be lying-in-wait. Better that they scatter.

And, in addition to maintaining security, public schools need to put the kibosh on the everyday mayhem that passes for acceptable in the halls of their schools--students acting like animals, and running all over the place in the halls...all because lax school administrators accomodate out of control kids.

It'seasy for an evildoer to not only gain access to unsecure schools, but go unnoticed amid such chaos and confusion.
That kind of actually is a good idea!

Seriously!

The big noticeable difference between highschool and college for me, was in 2 general electives courses, I stayed in the same room, and the professors came to the room!

They had carts with a laptop, a projector, the lecture halls had white boards for dry erase markers and screens for projectors to display on. That's actually not a bad idea... would make kids fatten up though.

I had to sprint from the north west wing to the south east wing when I was in highschool. We were allowed 3 minutes between class to go to our lockers, grab our books, and head to the next class room.

Elementary school we stayed put in the same classroom and the teacher taught math science social studies etc and only left for recess and gym...

Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Now comes the point of having to pay for all of this. We can raise taxes if we're asking teachers to put their lives on the line and get metal detector's etc. I saw one idea to fix our roads has to raise gas tax so what tax do we raise to pay for keep our children safe? I'm not against having to pay for it but the question is how? Teacher hardly make ends meet these days as it is.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Now comes the point of having to pay for all of this. We can raise taxes if we're asking teachers to put their lives on the line and get metal detector's etc. I saw one idea to fix our roads has to raise gas tax so what tax do we raise to pay for keep our children safe? I'm not against having to pay for it but the question is how? Teacher hardly make ends meet these days as it is.
I proposed a voluntary approach, that comes with incentive of a raise.

However you wouldn't solely be able to just bring your weapon take the training, and receive the raise...
You'd actually have to use it if an event occurs. That means brandishing while getting kids secured, engaging the hostile threat when they present themselves as a target.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
In our district we have a school tax break on property taxes. If I were to not take that credit, and everyone else in my county, district, that would easily be a few million dollars...Just one year, and allocate those funds to a account used exclusively for ideas/projects approved by PTA and school boards etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies