Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,440,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Because I'm Israeli and I know what i'm talking about. I don't know when those pics were taken, but I guess not on the weekend, and not in a secular area. Go to Israel and see by yourself.
Even if that's true, it's irrelevant: As I said, we already have armed people wandering the streets of the US - they're called police officers.

Quote:
Police officers in US are going through a heavy vetting. In Israel about 50% of the population is going through the military and have access to battlefield military grade firearm at least few years of their lives. Half of the population!
What difference does this make? We have cities in the US that are veritably crawling with armed police officers, undoubtedly as abundant as armed soldiers wandering the streets of Tel Aviv. Basically, what you're asking for, we already have: Streets being patrolled by armed people. Both the soldiers in Israel and the police in the US are highly trained in the use of those weapons, too. Essentially, the only difference between the two is the color of their uniforms, and perhaps the type of arms they're carrying.

Quote:
The gun laws are irrelevant, because you have the soldiers and the Arabs that are out of the statistics.
As I said above, you can quadruple and even quintuple the number of Israeli guns from that statistic to take into account the soldiers, and you're still going to get a much, much lower rate of guns in Israel than in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,653,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Then you are suggesting it's not the number of guns on the streets, but more along the lines of giving youth something to do besides getting angry at their school. That is, more of a cultural thing. Which I might even agree with.

You can quadruple and even quintuple the number of Israeli guns from that statistic to take into account the soldiers, and you're still going to get a much, much lower rate of guns in Israel than in the US.
I'm talking about a situation when despite the fact that at any time 50% of the 18-21 population has an access to a full automatic rifle, there were NEVER any massacres of the USA kind. My conclusion is that it's not the guns, it's something else.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 PM

13,168 posts, read 21,764,501 times
Quote:
It's not, because you are not taking the soldiers into account. You know 18-21, young and hot headed, the age of the murderers in USA.
Our mass murder rate by 18-21 y/o military personnel is pretty much same as Israel's, zero. Our problem is with non-military young persons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Makes one wonder if perhaps a spot of mandatory military training would do wonders for the young (and many not-so-young) men in the US.
Yes it does.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Even if that's true, it's irrelevant: As I said, we already have armed people wandering the streets of the US - they're called police officers.
I'm talking about their vulnerability and the luck of vetting, not about their ability to stop a killer.

Quote:
As I said above, you can quadruple and even quintuple the number of Israeli guns from that statistic to take into account the soldiers, and you're still going to get a much, much lower rate of guns in Israel than in the US.
Do you agree that a gun in a hand of hot head teenager that just graduated from high school has more chances to shoot than the one in the hands of a 50 years old?

The most vulnerable population in Israel has much more available automatic guns than 18-21 in USA

Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Our mass murder rate by 18-21 y/o military personnel is pretty much same as Israel's, zero. Our problem is with non-military young persons.
So, it's not the guns.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,440,104 times
Quote:
I'm talking about a situation when despite the fact that at any time 50% of the 18-21 population has an access to a full automatic rifle, there were NEVER any massacres of the USA kind. My conclusion is that it's not the guns, it's something else.
I would actually agree with that. It seems some here are suggesting everybody walk around in green fatigues carrying a semiautomatic rifle in order to stop the school shootings, which is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
I'm talking about their vulnerability and the luck of vetting, not about their ability to stop a killer.
I'm not sure that makes any difference ... whatever you're talking about.

Quote:
Do you agree that a gun in a hand of hot head teenager that just graduated from high school has more chances to shoot than the one in the hands of a 50 years old?
Well, both have the same "chance" to shoot, but of course the 50-year-old is less likely to shoot anyone.

Quote:
The most vulnerable population in Israel has much more available automatic guns than 18-21 in USA
And the exact same age group in Japan has basically no available automatic guns, nor do they have cumpulsory military service. And yet, like Israel, they have basically no mass school shootings.

So we can rule out both military service and numbers of guns as a cause for this.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:04 PM

13,168 posts, read 21,764,501 times
Quote:
So, it's not the guns.
It's the access to guns by immature non-military kids. Israel apparently doesn't have that problem, right?

I believe I've read that Israel vets their soldiers for emotional health and doesn't give guns to unstable people. Right? Advantage Israel, and something we need to evaluate here as well. Not just for military, but anyone who wants to own guns.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:02 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It's the access to guns by immature non-military kids. Israel apparently doesn't have that problem, right?

I believe I've read that Israel vets their soldiers for emotional health and doesn't give guns to unstable people. Right? Advantage Israel, and something we need to evaluate here as well. Not just for military, but anyone who wants to own guns.
Correct and correct. Furthermore Israel vets those kids who've been called up for military service after HS for psychological issues before entering. Depending on the level of psychological issues they may become exempt from service or end up in an administrative position for a shortened enlistment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies