Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If the left feels that young adults at 18 can't be responsible to make a decision about alcohol, cigarettes and guns than we should change the voting age to 21!

Entering the military also should than be 21!

If the left feels that young adults are unable to be responsible at 18, 19 or 20 years old than we absolutely can't have them vote before they are 21 years old!
Cigarettes, alcohol, and guns are state laws. Voting is a federal constitutional right.

Quote:
The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (23 U.S.C. § 158) was passed by the United States Congress on July 17, 1984. It was a controversial bill that punished every state that allowed persons below 21 years to purchase and publicly possess alcoholic beverages by reducing its annual federal highway apportionment by 10 percent. The law was later amended, lowering the penalty to 8 percent from fiscal year 2012 and beyond.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...inking_Age_Act
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Cigarettes, alcohol, and guns are state laws. Voting is a federal constitutional right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...inking_Age_Act

So what. They are still setting arbitrary age requirements.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Making everything 21 but charging minors as adults when they are 15 just seems like a completely ass backwards way of doing things. Same with allowing them to join the military at 18. We all know raising the age limit on things like drinking does nothing to actually help things, and by making everything "taboo" it just encourages people to want it more, but politicians don't think rationally.

If they were smart they'd lower the drinking age to 16 and allow parents to introduce their kids to alcohol gradually so they grow up more mature about it like they do in Europe/Germany. Also legalizing marijuana which considering the sheer number of people in both parties who now use it, it's a no brainer. It's kind of like speed limit laws. Nobody with a little bit of common sense is going to obey every law just because it's a law, because some laws are stupid.

On the other hand, as you get older you see how trivial it is making someone wait until they are 21 in the grand scheme of things... raising the age to do things is just an easy, feel good solution for a 40+ year old legislator to do. I can see both sides of the argument. I myself don't care that much either way.

As long as people can be thrown in prison for life at 18 and are considered adults, I'm not going to narc on them if I see them drinking or smoking pot or some other activity that's restricted to 21. More power to them. What the cops don't know won't hurt them, so don't be a narc unless it's something serious that's not a victimless crime.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Wait a minute, would parents then be legally responsible for their kids until 21 then too?

Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Because one is mentioned in the Constitution (15th, 19th and 26th amendments), and the other isn't.

Google it.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because one is mentioned in the Constitution (15th, 19th and 26th amendments), and the other isn't.

Google it.
good point. We should have been more forward thinking and had even more liberties guaranteed in the constitution... perhaps we would have avoided the war on marijuana or prohibition.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
This whole argument really ticks me off.

I think we need to do something to address gun violence in this country, but I am not sure there is anything magical about the age of 21 that would help to guarantee that. Someone who wants to hurt people at the age of 20 isn't going to suddenly change on their 21st birthday.

On the other hand, what's up with this "tit for tat" business about folks on the right wanting to punish these young people for this proposed change? "Oh, you lefties, you want to raise the age for gun ownership? Well, we'll show you! Do that, and they can't vote, either."

This makes no sense at all, not even by the right's own standards. Let's say I am 19, and want to own a gun. Let's say I am a staunch Republican, because everyone knows Democrats all hate the Second Amendment (not true, but please bear with me.) Let's say that this law does get passed, and I can't have a gun. What the hell is going to be gained by telling me I can't vote, either, other than to take away another right and make me hate both parties?

Stop treating this age group like pawns. They do not exist to serve your political agenda.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You're as terrified as the NRA and the GOP are of the Parkland Survivors, aren't you?

Quite understandable. As you were.
Please explain why I should be afraid?

The father of the girl who died, makes complete sense and is sadly in the position he is in and makes it his life goal to try to make sure this can never happen.

The other day he explained how bad the speaker system is in schools. He is the best advocate to speak out to
Make schools more safe!

Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Oddly, no one has mentioned lowering the Age of Consent in this thread. Or raising it, for that matter. I call it the Judge Moore Effect.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If the left feels that young adults at 18 can't be responsible to make a decision about alcohol, cigarettes and guns than we should change the voting age to 21!

Entering the military also should than be 21!

If the left feels that young adults are unable to be responsible at 18, 19 or 20 years old than we absolutely can't have them vote before they are 21 years old!
Works for this liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies