Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Govt Schools are already there. Do you know what compulsory education is?

To address the o.p., no police stations in schools please. Govt security has proven itself a failure too many times.Close them, sending your child to one is dangerous in many ways more than one.
Where are the mass shootings in private schools,religious schools, Montessori schools, home schools?
Yes, let's in doctrine our children into a dying practice during school hours instead -- religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Kids aren't allowed to go off campus anymore. Times have changed.

My son graduated from a high school three years ago. When you drove up - -in the morning the gates to the student parking and the gate kiosk at the front were open -- buses coming in and going, parents dropping off (4000 kid high school two if not more buildings).

Once the 'bell' rang -- the campus is shut down. Only way in is the front door of either building (technically). If you are a parent or a student, you have to drive by and tell the guard kiosk why you are there and they direct you to get your badge. To get the badge from the front office you have to show your driver's license. Students have to show their student i.d. and they have to have their student i.d. on them and visible at ALL times.

To leave -- you have to hand in your b adge at the guard gate or the students have to show I.D. If they are leaving for an appointment they had in a piece of paper that says they have been given permission to leave (with a parent or on their own). If kids have 'early out' -- they have a code on their i.d. that shows they are allowed to leave early (or come in late).

They CANNOT leave just to grab a bite to eat during school hours.

My other sons went to high schools where the students weren't suppose to leave campus either. Once at school, unless you had a 'note' you or had early leave -- you were there.

In the middle school...of course easier -- kids don't drive themselves and they cannot leave during the day.

Elementary school, blah blah blah.

Some schools are now requiring all volunteers to get background checks -- prior approval...you just can't show up an expect to be able to volunteer.

All the schools I have been involved with have had an officer on campus. The high school has at least one and has staff patrolling the grounds in a golf cart making sure kids aren't sneaking in other kids through the back doors, etc.
Jesus, times apparently have changed since I was in high school ten years ago...

That's insane. My school had a ton of entrances all over the place that were simply left open all day long. There were no guards and student IDs were mainly for things like class registration and entrance to school dances and the like.

Even in junior high we were technically not allowed off campus, but no one actually cared and it'd be impossible to keep track of all the wide open entrances. My friends and I ran off all the time during breaks to grab a boba tea and then dashed right back to be on time for class.

Attendance was managed by teachers at the beginning of class and if you weren't there, you'd miss out on important notes and assignments and your parents might receive a phone call, but that was pretty much it.

And yet there wasn't a single incident of violence...not even a fight. I've never even seen any bullying. And these were public schools in cities.

I feel bad for kids nowadays...I would've hated the prison-like environment that is apparently so prevalent in schools now.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 02-27-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 02:57 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
All the voter need do is require all elected officials and their appointees, state and federal, to have their children attend public schools.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Kids aren't allowed to go off campus anymore. Times have changed.

My son graduated from a high school three years ago. When you drove up - -in the morning the gates to the student parking and the gate kiosk at the front were open -- buses coming in and going, parents dropping off (4000 kid high school two if not more buildings).

Once the 'bell' rang -- the campus is shut down. Only way in is the front door of either building (technically). If you are a parent or a student, you have to drive by and tell the guard kiosk why you are there and they direct you to get your badge. To get the badge from the front office you have to show your driver's license. Students have to show their student i.d. and they have to have their student i.d. on them and visible at ALL times.

To leave -- you have to hand in your b adge at the guard gate or the students have to show I.D. If they are leaving for an appointment they had in a piece of paper that says they have been given permission to leave (with a parent or on their own). If kids have 'early out' -- they have a code on their i.d. that shows they are allowed to leave early (or come in late).

They CANNOT leave just to grab a bite to eat during school hours.

My other sons went to high schools where the students weren't suppose to leave campus either. Once at school, unless you had a 'note' you or had early leave -- you were there.

In the middle school...of course easier -- kids don't drive themselves and they cannot leave during the day.

Elementary school, blah blah blah.

Some schools are now requiring all volunteers to get background checks -- prior approval...you just can't show up an expect to be able to volunteer.

All the schools I have been involved with have had an officer on campus. The high school has at least one and has staff patrolling the grounds in a golf cart making sure kids aren't sneaking in other kids through the back doors, etc.
My kids schools are all like this too. There is a regular LEO until the bell rings and then the rotate around the campuses during the day leaving cop cars out front so the shooter won't know for sure which campus has regular SDPD on it.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
All the voter need do is require all elected officials and their appointees, state and federal, to have their children attend public schools.
I imagine the vast majority do. You know different?

Old 02-27-2018, 03:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think a police officer should be present when children are entering school in the morning and going through the metal detectors. After that, the doors should be locked (preventing entry, not exit) and the officer is no longer needed.
Yeah... metal detectors. Another swell idea. While the kids are emptying their back packs and taking off their shoes, the shooter breaks a window, walks in from the other end and blazes away.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Who's going to pay the bill for those police offices?
Where I live, just passing a new school bond is like pulling teeth.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:54 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Thugs that start fights can be sent directly to jail where the belong. No more detention.
Hey, at least they could get the inside scoop on the trouble makers and maybe prevent them from doing something stupid before they do it occasionally.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:16 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I would've hated the prison-like environment that is apparently so prevalent in schools now.
It's the price of freedom. Wait...

Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Just what we need: more security theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies