Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Kids aren't allowed to go off campus anymore. Times have changed.

My son graduated from a high school three years ago. When you drove up - -in the morning the gates to the student parking and the gate kiosk at the front were open -- buses coming in and going, parents dropping off (4000 kid high school two if not more buildings).

Once the 'bell' rang -- the campus is shut down. Only way in is the front door of either building (technically). If you are a parent or a student, you have to drive by and tell the guard kiosk why you are there and they direct you to get your badge. To get the badge from the front office you have to show your driver's license. Students have to show their student i.d. and they have to have their student i.d. on them and visible at ALL times.

To leave -- you have to hand in your b adge at the guard gate or the students have to show I.D. If they are leaving for an appointment they had in a piece of paper that says they have been given permission to leave (with a parent or on their own). If kids have 'early out' -- they have a code on their i.d. that shows they are allowed to leave early (or come in late).

They CANNOT leave just to grab a bite to eat during school hours.

My other sons went to high schools where the students weren't suppose to leave campus either. Once at school, unless you had a 'note' you or had early leave -- you were there.

In the middle school...of course easier -- kids don't drive themselves and they cannot leave during the day.

Elementary school, blah blah blah.

Some schools are now requiring all volunteers to get background checks -- prior approval...you just can't show up an expect to be able to volunteer.

All the schools I have been involved with have had an officer on campus. The high school has at least one and has staff patrolling the grounds in a golf cart making sure kids aren't sneaking in other kids through the back doors, etc.
Didn't they add a substation there at the campus a few years back? Thought they did. The guard shack out front was added the year after my daughter graduated. Considering they are already at about 4,000 kids it makes sense. That's a sizable number of the population in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:42 PM

31,950 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That may work in one building schools where children do not need to leave that one building, but most schools are multiple building campuses. Even elementary schools have separate lunch rooms and recess outside.
Our elementary school has woods behind it. So if the kids are outside they would be target practice just like the people were in Las Vegas. Multiple would be dead or injured before they could find out where the shots were coming from and get to them.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m sure this has been discussed here before. Why not require police be stationed at every school as a part of their work day? They could have their own building attached to the school and monitor security cameras while doing the business of their day to day.
Yeah, they could set the room up with a coffee maker and a box of donuts. Oh and WiFi so they can shop and surf the net all day.
And don't forget a flat screen TV.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 897,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Good idea. Then the school shooters will know where to shoot first, during the cops' morning briefing. After hitting there, they'll have the rest of the school to themselves for the 5-7 minutes it always takes for regular cops to show up, and they can rack up the nice, big body count they wanted before they're finally killed. They'll be more confident, knowing they will have weeks of blazing headlines after they're dead, which is what they really want.

I'm sure they'll thank you for it. One way or another.
Your imagination is wild. Think about it, do you really think you can shoot up an entire room full of people with guns before ANYONE has the chance to fire back? Do you honestly believe that for sake of argument, you can shoot everyone in the room before someone can respond, that everone will be at that briefing and no one will be outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies