Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:33 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I am grateful for the breaks, too. Feel free to hate me, despise me, even, envy me.
The facts are the facts.

You will have to live with your decisions, which will be punishment enough, and I will live with mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Point -- counter point.

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/25/peo...-scam_partner/

(Yes I stole from another poster -- I'm sure they won't mind).

Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Democrats are Surprised More Money in Paychecks is Popular

Not so fast. Too early to gloat.

You know the small extra amount working class people will get is a sop, like a bribe. The real money, the real cost to the budget is the tax breaks for the rich, and this will hurt people all over the country.

The Republicans could have given this small break to help you and left the tax rates on the rich where they were, but they didn't do that because intended wanted to bribe you to get the breaks they really wanted to pass.

The cost to this cut in taxes for the rich, super rich and foreign investors will come as services and programs like Social Security come under attack to balance the budget. This is a war on you.

People who care about these programs, like older folks and people with medical issues, will know what happened. Young, naïve and selfish, gullible people will take their extra $5 to $20 bucks a week and spend it on hot dogs and potato chips and not realize they are eating their future.
True believers in CRUMBS!!! Nancy convinces the Echo Chamber.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Maybe dems should have voted for it and made it permanent.
Yep. Republicans would've loved to make it permanent but needed 60 votes in order to do so. This issue will backfire on Dems, bigly

Old 02-27-2018, 12:07 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Since when is telling the truth a bad thing?

Do you feel threatened by facts?
It isn't. But you confuse opinion with truth.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:09 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. Republicans would've loved to make it permanent but needed 60 votes in order to do so. This issue will backfire on Dems, bigly

Indeed. You can bet the GOP will be running adverts about how the Democrats voted against cutting taxes.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:16 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People will be even more surprised when that benefit vanishes in 5 years.
Democrats will be surprised when they have to run on keeping the tax cut or raising them. It’s their own fault for resisting instead of working with the GOP on the tax cuts. They probably could have kept their state tax deduction and changed this deadline.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:20 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My post makes clear that the President and/or Federal government has nothing to do with the rate of pay for teachers in the various states, and does not opine that the teachers believed this.

However, I added that, perhaps, these teachers thought that the Tax Reform measure (signed into law by Mr. Trump) would significantly increase their paychecks. Just enough so they would no longer be eligible for food stamps.

In other words, to make it as simple as possible:

Teachers pay is determined by the state legislature of each state. There is no evidence that teachers, anywhere, believe otherwise.

My opinion: perhaps the teachers in WV thought that their paychecks would rise more than they did, given the ballyhoo about the Tax Reform signed into law by the President of the United States.

Fact: the WV teachers are upset that the legislature of West Virginia only gave them a 2 percent raise for this year, beginning July 1, 2018, with a one-percent raise for 2019 and again for 2020.
And my point was about the bold and if they think this then I question their thinking skills.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
The rich will always figure out ways to make and save money, which is one reason they are rich. The difference with the tax cut is that middle class people get a larger piece of the cake. Ask them if they'd give back their crumbs because the rich got more.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
That’s funny. Just read a story that said the GOP is worried tax cuts won’t be enough to win in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies