Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,449,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you have any evidence that Ben Carson or his wife even knew about this conference room furniture that was ordered for a conference room used by the entire HUD building? That's a serious question, because I can't find any evidence that points to that.

How could he get congressional approval for that if it wasn't even for his office and he didn't know about it? Do you really think that Ben Carson is involved in ordering conference room furniture for the building? I sure hope not.

You do realize that the room in question had not been redecorated since the 1960s, right? I mean, I think that the government in general, including HUD and most government bureaucrats (probably including Carson), is terrible at fiscal management and is too slap happy with tax payer dollars, and probably spends too much money on just about everything, but after getting bids for painting my dining room, stairway, and office for $8,000 nothing much surprises me anymore.

Don't stoop to personal insults by the way. It's a tell.

It's perfectly valid if it's the truth. The mental gymnastics you're engaging in to justify this abound.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,478,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, coupla things immediately jump out at me.

First of all, Carson didn't fire her.

Secondly, she wasn't an office administrator. She was a department head. She was a senior, career government employee.

Thirdly, she said that her supervisor said that "the administration had always found the money for this in the past." Well, that's a bipartisan statement if ever there was one, since prior to this office redo, the past 8 years had been under a Democratic administration. Where was she during that time? Oh, I'll tell you - she was working for the US Treasury for a couple of years. Prior to that, she was working in the White House and prior to that with Homeland Security with the Obama administration. Prior to Obama's tenure, she was an attorney.

In fact, the body of her professional career has been in cyber security, so how or why she got the job at HUD as Chief Administrative Officer is sort of a mystery, but I guess it's who you know, not what you know in Washington (sort of like "why is a former brain surgeon in charge of HUD now?").

Sorry, but I don't really think her claims are unbiased. But then, whose are?

I just know that a paint job in my dining room and office cost more than $5000.

Couple things jump out at me. I never said fired. I said demoted. I said admin person and the article says here title was chief administration officer which means to me she is part of admin. First line of the article.

"The former chief administrative officer for the Department of Housing and Urban Development says she was demoted in part for refusing to spend more than was legally allowed to redecorate "

Old 02-28-2018, 03:31 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
DEMS don't like blacks leaving their plantation and getting themselves nice comfortable chairs.
No they dont like waste and corruption. Something you seem truly intent on defending.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,791,900 times
Gowdy probing 'excessive spending' on redecoration of Ben Carson's HUD office | TheHill

Even Gowdy is on it.

As we used to say in Brooklyn, Carson thinks who he is. Talk about entitlement from that whole family.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:47 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,125,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Snowflake.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/polit...wer/index.html
MAGA. Make America gullible again!

I have to say, I have no idea what you mean by "Snowflake" in this context. I wish people wouldn't throw the term around so broadly and meaninglessly.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Gowdy probing 'excessive spending' on redecoration of Ben Carson's HUD office | TheHill

Even Gowdy is on it.

As we used to say in Brooklyn, Carson thinks who he is. Talk about entitlement from that whole family.
From the link...
Quote:
A HUD spokesman told the Times that Carson “didn’t know the table had been purchased” and is not planning on returning it.
WTF???

Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,735,568 times
I don't care what party people are affiliated with, everyone should be outraged at this. Cutting the budget that helps the poor and homeless find housing while spending 5k on a table and a hutch? Didn't these people ever hear of Ikea for goodness sake?
This is a disgrace.
I thought Trump was going to drain the swamp and I am not seeing it.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I don't care what party people are affiliated with, everyone should be outraged at this. Cutting the budget that helps the poor and homeless find housing while spending 5k on a table and a hutch? Didn't these people ever hear of Ikea for goodness sake?
This is a disgrace.
I thought Trump was going to drain the swamp and I am not seeing it.
It is disgusting and why would you think that a swamp dweller such as Trump would drain the swamp that is his natural habitat?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,410,753 times
If what they bought is solid wood and lasts 50 years like the last set, I would say that taxpayers got their money's worth.

Do Americans really expect their Cabinet members to furnish their offices and surrounding areas from Rooms to Go?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If what they bought is solid wood and lasts 50 years like the last set, I would say that taxpayers got their money's worth.

Do Americans really expect their Cabinet members to furnish their offices and surrounding areas from Rooms to Go?
More lame excuses. Excuses that even the idiot savant Carson knew better than to use when he tried to hide the over-the-top expenditure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.