Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times

Advertisements

I retired from State Government 7 years ago. During my career, ethical behavior was crucial for me and my staff and we considered it one of, if not the most important parts of our job. Not everyone can work to those standards, but in government, it is VERY important. People tend to look sideways at us anyway, so high standards are even more important than in the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
What Great State of WHERE did you work?

Old 02-27-2018, 07:55 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Do you have any examples?

The only way it would make sense is that the state has almost no incentive to provide quality service or to act ethically, so it takes a lot more effort for them to be up to par with the private sector.

The risk of going out of business, or having your funds dry up, is what provides the motivation. Not the case when you can take people's money by force, which is.......unethical by it's very nature.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Having retired from two state governments I can say that some are great and some are lazy. Myself, I can't stand lazy or incompetence.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Government ethics

It's an oxymoron !

Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I retired from State Government 7 years ago. During my career, ethical behavior was crucial for me and my staff and we considered it one of, if not the most important parts of our job. Not everyone can work to those standards, but in government, it is VERY important. People tend to look sideways at us anyway, so high standards are even more important than in the private sector.
Have you ever seen the movie "Tucker: The Man and His Dream"?

It's a true story of an entrepreneur who managed to design and produce a car that could actually rival the Big 3 Automaker's cars. He was brought down by state government, even demonized and put on trial.

One part of the movie shows a senator from Michigan abusing his power by working with the federal government to insure Tucker was brought down in order to protect local interests (in this case the Big 3 Automobile manufacturers). That is unethical, is it not? I'm under the impression this type of power abuse is very common, since well before 1948 (when the 50 Tuckers were made).

I don't believe there is a senator anywhere in the country that would not do the same thing, whether it's to protect big auto, big oil, big energy, big pharma, etc. Do you?

I don't know how high in government you have to look in order to find this type of corruption, but I'm convinced it's here, there, and everywhere.

Special interests rule.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
Quote:
This is true. I remember when hubby had to undergo ethical and background checks to get his gov't job, it took months and he had to jump through multiple hoops just to get hired. It included interviews with multiple former employers... and once he was hired, he was subjected to bi-yearly investigations to make sure he still pass muster...

The fact that security clearance and ethical checks are taken so lightly at the WH now is ridiculous.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
I hear you. Ethics are important in my service to the public as well. Sometimes I wonder why I don't mail it in; some of the general public can be very, very awful.

The 'chip-on-the-shoulder' motivation is powerful, but I practice ethical behavior because my mother and father brought me up that way.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
This is true. I remember when hubby had to undergo ethical and background checks to get his gov't job, it took months and he had to jump through multiple hoops just to get hired. It included interviews with multiple former employers... and once he was hired, he was subjected to bi-yearly investigations to make sure he still pass muster...

The fact that security clearance and ethical checks are taken so lightly at the WH now is ridiculous.
Agree it's even more ridiculous as of late.

Likely because Mr. Trump himself would likely fail a security clearance application. As an elected president, he's not required to undergo such, although one would think he'd be a tad more careful in his appointments.

After all, this is the United States of America, he's not producing, directing, & acting in a Reality TV Show.

(thinking twice)

Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
People define ethical differently. The income tax is theft and unethical. If you don't believe that then you have low ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies