Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Corporate America is beholden to leftist activists, has been for a while now. They are so afraid of boycotts and lawsuits that they cave in to the demands of these leftist groups. I always take notice of corporations who make a show of thier left wing social positions and avoid doing business with them. I also try to take my business to companies who have values I support. I spent a lot of money in Hobby Lobby during Christmas this year because they are a well known Christian company. I also make a point to eat at chic fillet for the same reason. If a company wants to get political then I will consider thier position when I spend my money. The smart business focuses only on selling thier service or products and leaves political opinion out of it. This latest round of companies taking anti gun positions is indeed something I am taking notice of.
Corporate America is about making money. The bottom line is the motivating factor for any policy regarding inventory, discounts, etc.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:52 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
You name your thread :
" Dick's Sporting Goods Will Stop Selling Assault Guns"

As usual we have the gun grabbers LYING in an attempt to paint a picture about how "bad" these guns are

"Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles"

Dick's does NOT sell "assault rifles" they sell "Assault-Style Rifles"

They DO sell rifles that have cosmetic parts that MAKE people THINK they ARE "ASSAULT WEAPONS WHICH THEY ARE NOT.

This one of the BIGGEST reasons why we CANNOT have honest adult discussions on many issues.

And in regard to guns we CANNOT have honest discussion when the other side DOESN'T KNOW 1 GUN FROM THE OTHER, then claim to be experts!

Dick's sales are down and have been for a while.

This will only hurt them more considering the AR style rifle is the NO.1 selling style of rifle in the country.

They built a new one by me and I quit going there because of their LACK of gun related supplies.

It was a waste of time.

I don't tink they will be around much longer.

"Dick's Sporting Goods Fails to Capitalize on Sports Authority's Bankruptcy"

"
Dick’s Sporting Goods (dks, -2.24%) shares took a huge beating on Tuesday after the retailer reported weak sales despite the bankruptcy of a key competitor and announced job cuts.
The sports gear chain said first-quarter comparable sales, which include online sales but exclude business at newly opened or closed stores, rose 2.4%, below its own earlier projections and those of Wall Street analysts, who on average expected 3.6% growth, according to Consensus Metrix. And that generated a big sell off as investors feared it would dent Dick’s full year results.
UBS estimated that Dick’s had about 30% fewer rival stores to compete with in the period thanks to some bankruptcies compared to a year earlier and as such lowered its rating on the stock to neutral from buy. The results were a disappointment considering that that The Sports Authority went out of business entirely last year. “It’s hard to have confidence that it will be able to meet our prior comp (sales) expectations,” UBS analyst Michael Lasser wrote in a research note."

"

Compounding investor agita was the slowing pace of online growth- digital sales rose 11%, slower than the 20%+ clip investors had gotten used to in recent quarters. Dick’s recently relaunched its web site on its own platform. The company also announced it has cut 160 jobs at a support center as part of its effort to “adjust our business model,” as CEO Ed Stack put it in a statement.
Dick’s shares fell 13% to $41.34 by midday."

Dick's Sporting Goods Shares Fall 13% as Bankruptcies Don't Help | Fortune

Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
It's a sign of the times. Look at all the businesses saying NO to discounts for NRA membership.

The tide has turned.

Gun control will be central issue for mid-terms.

Doubtful, the mean scary black rifle kills thousands less than the average pistol.

But to some, it seems that the only killings that matter are those done with the mean scary black rifle...

Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
IMO not a very bright business decision since it will only cost them lost sales with no offsetting gains. Are people going to suddenly shop at Dick's because they no longer sell "assault weapons" ? doubtful. And for those so inclined, they can purchase a black scary looking thing at 100's of other retail establishments.
Having said that, of course its Dick's right to sell what they want in its stores.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Lots of people stopped going to dicks after the last time they stopped selling ar15s and started price gouging ammo and firearms items.
Most of the people I know have never been back there.
Many of my friends stopped when Dick's STOPPED selling pistols.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
It's a sign of the times. Look at all the businesses saying NO to discounts for NRA membership.

The tide has turned.

Lefties underestimating the silent majority. Again.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:

The tide has turned.

"The tide has turned."

I wouldn't be too happy,

The tide comes IN and the tide goes OUT, then comes in AGAIN!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
IMO not a very bright business decision since it will only cost them lost sales with no offsetting gains. Are people going to suddenly shop at Dick's because they no longer sell "assault weapons" ? doubtful.
Having said that, of course its Dick's right to sell what they want in its stores.
I suspect their marketing department & sale department have more information than you do on the impact of this policy on their bottom line.

I suspect -- as someone pointed out -- there are lots of other places these products are offered at better prices.

I suspect -- it is a product line that is not a game changer for Dicks.

I suspect -- they have done research and determined that selling the product is more detrimental than not.

Corporate America is about making money -- they know more what their policies will do to their bottom line.

I suspect that none of the companies will be financially hurt by their policy to drop NRA membership discounts.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,138 times
Quote:
Awesome, awesome news by Dicks Sporting. Good for them for taking a bold step forward in ridding our communities of these military weapons. I'm a gun owner and sure as hell don't want or need an AR-15 or anything like it.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Lefties underestimating the silent majority. Again.
Over SIXTY percent of Americans back AR-15 BAN.
Poll: 61 percent back AR-15 ban | TheHill
Quote:
According to the latest Harvard CAPS-Harris survey, 61 percent say that the AR-15 should be banned from purchase, compared to 39 percent who say that adults who pass background checks should be able to purchase them.

President Trump once supported a ban on assault weapons but changed his position as he campaigned for the GOP nomination in 2016. The White House says Trump does not currently support an assault weapons ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies