Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I made this post in another thread in discussing Trump defunding PBS...

... and lo and behold,

PBS launching new conservative political talk show

Columnist Michael Gerson and commentator Amy Holmes are teaming to start a conservative-oriented talk show on PBS that takes its cue from William F. Buckley’s “Firing Line,” which aired from 1966 to 1999.

The new show, “In Principle,” will air Friday nights starting April 13. PBS will decide after an eight-week run whether to continue.

How about that? But I wonder how conservative it will be when I see statements like this...

The hosts plan to interview two guests each show, hoping for an in-depth discussion on issues and their formative political experiences. No guests have been announced yet, but Gerson said he’d like to discuss issues like race, gun control and whether conservatism is the right message for the working class.

If he has to ask that question, how conservative will that show actually be?
LOL Not very.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't know but I'll tape it and find out. I'm not familiar with either host and a lot of conservatives detest Trump. It could be a surprisingly lib-friendly show.
Because someone is anti-Trump they must be liberal?

Trump is calling for gun control measures that do not fall into line with any conservatives' policy.

Who is the liberal here?

If you have a strong conservative philosophy, surely you must be critical of Trump.

Most of my very conservative, life long Republican friends are.

Yes, they are tired of the Trump bashing but they did their fair share until he became the candidate.

I'm probably more a liberal on social values and more of a conservative than most conservatives on fiscal issues.

I will welcome the opportunity to hear reasonable discord.

Megan McCain on The View brings up valid points when we should be concerned what Trump does and when we should be more concerned about the policy. I don't agree with her policy issues all the time but I welcome hearing her take on it.

From a 'recruiting' stand point -- you will sway more votes with a conservative who is realistic, not always complimentary to his President and party than you will with a ride or die commentator.

People tune out those ride or die people -- except the ones that don't need to be convinced.

As a critic of Trump's -- i will say -- I don't tune in to those shows where I know they will bash him ALL the time. It gets old and I don't need to hear them say the same things I've always said. I don't go to the Sean Hannity's or Tucker Carlson's -- I search for a more grounded, reasonable & conservative based approach -- not just the ride or die kind of rhetoric.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:

... and lo and behold,

Columnist Michael Gerson and commentator Amy Holmes are teaming to start a conservative-oriented talk show on PBS that takes its cue from William F. Buckley’s “Firing Line,” which aired from 1966 to 1999.

The new show, “In Principle,” will air Friday nights starting April 13. PBS will decide after an eight-week run whether to continue.
How about that? But I wonder how conservative it will be when I see statements like this...

The hosts plan to interview two guests each show, hoping for an in-depth discussion on issues and their formative political experiences. No guests have been announced yet, but Gerson said he’d like to discuss issues like race, gun control and whether conservatism is the right message for the working class.

Nothing particularly new or earth shattering. Over the years PBS has had "conservative" orientated talk shows; IIRC Tucker Carlson had one not that long ago. Tucker Carlson Public Affairs Program Green-Lighted for Development at PBS | PBS About

Thing is PBS programming more than network is highly dependent upon viewers/ratings because of how they raise a good part of their funding (pledge drives). If programming doesn't get people to open up their wallets, and or attract a "sponsor" (Carnival Cruises, Ralph Lauren, ExxonMobil, Cannon, etc...) it won't be around for long.

That is the reason for all the "Do-Wop" and "disco" music programming you see around pledge drive time; seniors and aging boomers make up a huge part of the PBS private funding base, as such stations know who to target.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Intelligent and substantive conservative discourse?

I'm looking forward to this. I watched 'Firing Line' in my youth and sorely miss conservative thought presented in that format.

Will Fox-addled conservatives watch this? Or will they brand this as "fake"?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
How do you feel about Michael Gerson? Conservative? Yes. Trump critic? Yes.
Gerson, a neocon, is associated with some of the worst aspects of the Bush Administration, including its warmongering and the race-unrealism which led to the mortgage crisis.
Quote:
Gerson is credited with coining such phrases as "the soft bigotry of low expectations" and "the armies of compassion".[18] His noteworthy phrases for Bush are said to include "Axis of Evil,"
Gerson wiki

Old 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Intelligent and substantive conservative discourse?

I'm looking forward to this.
Will you be disappointed when it turns out to be neoconservative discourse?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Ugh. We should not have publicly funded propaganda. What's wrong with a simple factual presentation of the news?

Hopefully this show at least employees facts and critical thinking, unlike the usual right wing propaganda.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
PBS News Hour, while it has a more leftist slant than in the past, actually does the best at being even keeled.
Indeed, reality has a well-known liberal bias.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:28 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Will you be disappointed when it turns out to be neoconservative discourse?
Nope.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:29 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:

... and lo and behold,

That's news to me that PBS is actually even considering such an undertaking. If it's not a trap or deception, then I'm all for it. I guess you could say, in one sense, that Hell is starting to freeze over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies