Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Ritalin does mess up your motor skills. The military will not let you in due to that. We dont want you having guns either, among-st all the other cool stuff we use.
Mind ALtering drugs, its the American Way to Parent. Thanks..Libs
I truly wish you and others who are so against these "mind altering" drugs would walk a month in my shoes and see what I see everyday.

You truly don't get it.

My son has made so many strides after he started on Concerta. From the mouths of babes...he told me his brain was too noisy. I didn't put that in his head. My husband and I NEVER wanted him on a medication, something he'll probably have to have for the rest of his life.

But damn it, it works. My son can concentrate at school, he has more self control than he ever did, he checks himself when he starts getting worked up (more often than not) and he has more self confidence because he feels in control of himself. He's not a zombie. He's not a weirdo. He's a little boy who has a disorder. And the medicine helps him function in society. What is wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
2A supporters. Be very careful about putting your 5 year old on pharma. Less sugar. More discipline.

I see this turning into govt refusing guns to anyone on, or past use of, any type of mental/depression/ADD etc pharma
I totally agree with you. Besides, what this mental health stuff is likely to do is make people LESS likely to see help (either if they legitimately needs meds or are depressed or something) because they think "If we do this, we might or our kid might not be allowed to own a gun." And, when this happens, then people won't be getting help and then might hurt either themselves or someone else.

But, I suppose that's what the globalists want, more people hurt so then they can claim the need for even MORE regulation!

Old 02-28-2018, 07:42 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No child chose to come into this world. Autistic people, based on spectrum location, have various degrees of cognitive function which means they need to be dealt with on an individualized level. Their ability to give consent (a very tough concept for all statists) is very gray.

Only loved ones can know and facilitate that for an autistic family member...no matter their age.

The government isn't their babysitter either. If special needs folks are getting help the best kind is going to come from an educated/dedicated family member...not a bureaucrat.
You are leaving out the part Bias as a parent may play in those decisions. It might very well be your wishful thinking that your child is more capable then they really are............This last couple trusted this kid more than they should..... or is underestimated him a better word?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I totally agree with you. Besides, what this mental health stuff is likely to do is make people LESS likely to see help (either if they legitimately needs meds or are depressed or something) because they think "If we do this, we might or our kid might not be allowed to own a gun." And, when this happens, then people won't be getting help and then might hurt either themselves or someone else.

But, I suppose that's what the globalists want, more people hurt so then they can claim the need for even MORE regulation!

I can't imagine not getting my child healthcare because he might not be able to own a gun down the road. That is the least of my worries.

Its like saying I wouldn't get him healthcare for seizures because he may not be able to drive. How stupid would I have to be as a parent to subscribe to such a notion?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:46 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I can't imagine not getting my child healthcare because he might not be able to own a gun down the road. That is the least of my worries.
But Magritte, what will your child do to defend his or herself when the Deep State moves in for the ultimate betrayal of the public faith? When society is collapsing and the End Times are nigh. It is the Trump prophecy. Let us all buy AR-15s. Amen.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
I truly wish you and others who are so against these "mind altering" drugs would walk a month in my shoes and see what I see everyday.

You truly don't get it.

My son has made so many strides after he started on Concerta. From the mouths of babes...he told me his brain was too noisy. I didn't put that in his head. My husband and I NEVER wanted him on a medication, something he'll probably have to have for the rest of his life.

But damn it, it works. My son can concentrate at school, he has more self control than he ever did, he checks himself when he starts getting worked up (more often than not) and he has more self confidence because he feels in control of himself. He's not a zombie. He's not a weirdo. He's a little boy who has a disorder. And the medicine helps him function in society. What is wrong with that?
I at least can relate a little bit. my granddaughter is autistic. To put it simply she will never be on her own. They have tried several different drugs. some have helped. It takes a very special kind of person to parent handicapped children.........

Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
You are leaving out the part Bias as a parent may play in those decisions. It might very well be your wishful thinking that your child is more capable then they really are............This last couple trusted this kid more than they should..... or is underestimated him a better word?
True.

Kids aren't perfect. Disturbed kids aren't perfect. Parents aren't perfect.

I don't know what exactly Cruz had in his mental file and when those diagnoses were made.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
what this mental health stuff is likely to do is make people LESS likely to see help (either if they legitimately needs meds or are depressed
Much like having a pre-existing condition impacting the ability to get individual health insurance policies before ACA. Pre-ACA, people that went to the doctor for various things could have a pre-existing condition added to their medical record. The next year their insurance carrier could decide to cancel their plan or charge them 10x normal rates due to having a pre-existing condition. And other carriers would do the same.

People often couldn't get any insurance as a result, or were forced to pay very very high rates. This cause some people to stay away from the doctor because they were afraid of getting tagged with a pre-existing condition.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
2A supporters. Be very careful about putting your 5 year old on pharma. Less sugar. More discipline. I see this turning into govt refusing guns to anyone on, or past use of, any type of mental/depression/ADD etc pharma
Actually that is why Trump ditched the insanity provision in the exclusion list, just not for the future voter diagnosed anywhere on the spectrum.
The concern brought to the surface was for older citizens with big gun collections that could be confiscated by BATFE minions when an older person was declared incompetent. Someone woke up the AARP to the problem and the regulation went away.
"First you took away my car and now you are after my guns! Get offa my lawn, kids!!"

Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:

You truly don't get it.

Look lady, I have a autistic niece, nephew with Asperger , and one niece with ADHD. I have also had to help take care of one child with a disease that was mind and body altering. No meds for the mind, only the pain, because thats all her insurance would cover.
Dont preach to me your problems. And I truly believe Parenting is the major problem here, and mind altering drugs are the excuse to help parents coping with being adults.
The problems with mind altering drugs is the parents and doctors who dont monitor use, and neglect in taking them. If you look at all the mass shootings that liberals are hell bent on about, 95% were on SSRI drugs in the last 30 years. 95%. And, not all mass shootings were with a black rifle, called the AR15 with a medium power cartridige.
So stop it, keep doing what you want with your kid, and thats great, at least you are on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies