Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I learned something new today.

The Kellog corn flake was developed to prevent masturbation because the founding brothers believed bland food prevented arousal.

Who knew?
Yes, he was a strange cookie.

Sales only took off when Kellogg died and his descendants added sugar. Sugar cereal is what caused the obesity epidemic in America. Kellogg is responsible for much damage to America.

We are so brainwashed in this society it isn't even funny.

All these metoo men might as well have a scarlet A on them.

The whole politically correct thing is just a cleansing of society Puritanical style. Any inappropriate speech is to be punished with the full extent of the law until everyone toes the line and obeys to the Victorian norms.

Just as before, we shall be fully regulated in all forms with no freedoms whatsoever. Only this time, instead of in "the name of God" these changes are in "the name of morality" or other social norms.

Last edited by cBach; 02-28-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
There's an obvious, simple solution. Build a time machine, go back to the 1600s, and build a wall to prevent the Puritans from immigrating to America.

Puritans are all criminals - that's why Great Britain wanted to get rid of them. Their children and descendants are all criminals too. The puritans have stolen billions of dollars from American taxpayers by forcing us to educate their children all these centuries. They also forced us to get into an expensive war with Great Britain that we're still recovering from. Plus they dress and talk funny.

Build the Puritan wall and immediately deport all Puritans and their anchor descendants.

Problem solved.
No need for that. Puritans are a part of our culture. Their work ethic is why America is so successful.

I am a Puritan basically, my family line descended directly into Plymouth around 1640 so I'm not someone throwing rocks from a glass house.

I'm not making value judgments, I'm just presenting the facts about how all this came about, not from the minutia of everyday but from the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:07 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The very idea that the body should be completely hidden and never seen or touched is a very Victorian or Puritanical ideal.
Debatable, but that aside:

The #metoo movement is not about "hiding the body, never to be seen". At all. These young women aren't being prudes, but they are insistent that they have the right to decide what happens to their bodies. It's about consent, and that's a completely different kettle of fish.

A wife in Victorian (let alone Puritan) times had precious little autonomy - if her husband wanted some, he'd be within his right to take it. (This survived well into the 1950s - or even later in some states, btw.) If a man of higher social standing wanted to check out what the new maid felt like, he could grab a handful with very little risk to his reputation. A woman who showed skin would be assumed to be a harlot and treated accordingly. The idea that a woman should have full say over her body comes much later than puritanism. It was an extremely progressive thought even in Victorian times - the very high and, interestingly, the very low women had some bodily freedom. Anyone else had to have protection from some male figure - father, brothers, husband - even a lover (a "protector") was better than nothing.

It sure sounds like you're misunderstanding the nature of the metoo movement, because it's not anti-sexuality in the slightest.

I do happen to have the luck to count a handful of young feminists among my friends. They're not covering up, nor are they even slightly prudish about their sexuality, but heaven help the man who steps over the line uninvited. Which is as it should be.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 02-28-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:

The real reason the Salem witch trials occurred was because girls at the time were very restricted. There was not a whole lot to do in early New England, especially in the harsh winters. Story-telling was common and sometimes ranged from fortune telling to the occult. It was mainly believed that the girls were "straying" from the religious foundation and thus tighter restrictions had to be put into place.

The main storytellers were arrested and trumped up on witchcraft charges. Those charges were baseless but mass hysteria was involved and witches were burned at the stake without even a trial or just a bare semblance of a trial. In many cases, they got the "witches" to plead guilty in exchange for not going after her daughters. So she was a sacrificial lamb of sorts.

Hmmm, reminds me of the "Trump/Russia collusion" investigations.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:17 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
There's an obvious, simple solution. Build a time machine, go back to the 1600s, and build a wall to prevent the Puritans from immigrating to America.

Puritans are all criminals - that's why Great Britain wanted to get rid of them. Their children and descendants are all criminals too. The puritans have stolen billions of dollars from American taxpayers by forcing us to educate their children all these centuries. They also forced us to get into an expensive war with Great Britain that we're still recovering from. Plus they dress and talk funny.

Build the Puritan wall and immediately deport all Puritans and their anchor descendants.

Problem solved.
If I could go back in time to the Puritans, I'd tell them what "the Progressives" would do to our society in the 20th and 21st centuries. Then we'd be waiting for the Progressive movement to start....with some rope and some guns to nip it in the bud.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
The real reason the Salem witch trials...witches were burned at the stake without even a trial or just a bare semblance of a trial.
I know it's a drop of untruth in a raging torrent of misinformation, but there were no witch burnings at Salem. I'll let you Google what happened on your own.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Another Anglos are the problem theory.

The metoo movement has nothing to do with being a prude or with old-fashioned Protestant values. It's really the opposite of those values.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Nothing turns me off quicker than the thought of corn flakes.
I cannot look at that cereal the same way.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:42 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I cannot look at that cereal the same way.
Heck, after learning the backstory about corn flakes, I'm never going to look at the milk in the cereal bowl the same way again.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Debatable, but that aside:

The #metoo movement is not about "hiding the body, never to be seen". At all. These young women aren't being prudes, but they are insistent that they have the right to decide what happens to their bodies. It's about consent, and that's a completely different kettle of fish.

A wife in Victorian (let alone Puritan) times had precious little autonomy - if her husband wanted some, he'd be within his right to take it. (This survived well into the 1950s - or even later in some states, btw.) If a man of higher social standing wanted to check out what the new maid felt like, he could grab a handful with very little risk to his reputation. A woman who showed skin would be assumed to be a harlot and treated accordingly. The idea that a woman should have full say over her body comes much later than puritanism. It was an extremely progressive thought even in Victorian times - the very high and, interestingly, the very low women had some bodily freedom. Anyone else had to have protection from some male figure - father, brothers, husband - even a lover (a "protector") was better than nothing.

It sure sounds like you're misunderstanding the nature of the metoo movement, because it's not anti-sexuality in the slightest.

I do happen to have the luck to count a handful of young feminists among my friends. They're not covering up, nor are they even slightly prudish about their sexuality, but heaven help the man who steps over the line uninvited. Which is as it should be.
Wrong.

You're going to have to start thinking out of the box, out of the right vs. left framework that society says you have to follow. At the core, we are all prison to the values that the Puritans brought.

One thing you said was correct however, very low women had bodily freedom. They were free to be promiscuous and prostitutes. Very high class women were severely restricted by the social norms of the time. Middle class women were restricted by the higher class. Only the lower class women were truly free.

Back in the day, the Victorians were quite worried about the excessive celebrations that the Irish/Italians/non-Anglo Saxons would have on their various holidays. At the time there were people partying in the streets for celebrations such as St. Patrick's Day and the private security forces that the wealthy had were not "enough" to defend the various residences from "harm". So, the wealthy elite decided to invent the modern day police system.

Once the modern day police system was invented, it could be used to instigate mass arrests during holidays such as those and also to keep other immigrants at bay. In the south the police state was used for mass incarceration of blacks.

All of this was to keep a "pure" society where sexuality was kept at bay. They viewed the new immigrants as being "savages". It's the same reason why people are anti-immigration today.

If you don't believe me, ask people what they believe the "ideal society" would be in regards to social norms. Their response would be shocking.

Face the facts, most of you are being played like a fiddle by society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies