Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:06 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So by your logic, do you have heterosexual privilege, cis gender privilege, able bodied privilege etc etc etc? Do you check your privilege every morning and are you prepared to be punished for these privileges of yours in the future which you benefit from?

Income statistics, and chance of being killed by cops are frequently used as examples of "white privilege" in society. Whites are three times as likely to be shot and killed by cops as Asians. Asian females basically never get shot by the cops. And Asian males very rarely. Would you entertain the idea that there is "Asian female privilege" as Asians females have the privilege of not being followed in the stores by cops or risk getting beaten up and killed by random cops?

What you are referring to is simply "white people prefer white people", "black people prefer black people" etc and since whites are slightly more than half the population, more people prefer whites. I dont think thats true. Considering how well Asians do in society, it doesnt really make sense. Nor does it make sense that everyone is thought of as perpetual foreigners except white people. You can make the case that whites are far more likely to be demonized as racists simply because of their appearance. Thats a negative stereotype of white people. The fact that you simply singled out all white people in your Atlanta example is a case in point. I am sure there are non-whites who also moved out if your claim is actually true. There are also countless other negative stereotypes about whites as well. You even claimed that whites are typically seen as less intelligent than Asians by society as well. If that is not a negative stereotype, I dont know what is.

By your logic, there is not a "good looking privilege" in society. Society does not prefer good looking people, because having advantages because of your looks can also in certain situations by negative. Its utterly absurd. Huge amounts of doors open up for you if you have good looks. The same is true if you are a tall man or countless other traits. You found a situation where high intelligence is seen as negative and then conclude that it is a bad stereotype. Thats ridiculous.

You cant simply say "white privilege means there are no negative stereotypes of whites" and thats it. Countless examples use precisely educational achievements, income, crime statistics, killings by the police etc as proof of "white privilege". You have to accept that.
You are changing the subject.

But on the above, I can acknowledge and concede the fact that I have a lot of privileges over other women in particular (I am a black woman BTW who is married and heterosexual so I am preferred within the black community in particular and have a privilege in association with my marital status and my sexuality because a majority of black Americans "prefer" black women to be married and straight).

Note, I no longer live in Atlanta. So it is not "mine."

Also good looking people (which interestingly are typically thought of as being "good looking" from a European/white perspective - since that is the preference...) are privileged moreso than persons deemed not as good looking (note as a black woman, I am not viewed as "good looking" in general by the majority - black women are thought of as the least attractive women in the country - there are studies attesting to this). Just like fit people are privileged versus fat people, etc.

Privilege in regards to society is about a preference, representation, and lack of racism impacting your lives, in American society, whites are preferred, represented, and are least likely to experience racism over other groups. It is not a bad thing to admit this. I mentioned that IMO it is not that big of a thing and I'm not that "into" the concept of privilege.

Note that a white woman made the phrase "white privilege" popular via a particular essay (White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh). She was a professor of women's studies and compared "white privilege" to "male privilege" something that had been taught in women's studies courses for a decade by the time she wrote the piece below (in 1988). The following list are items that the author said her black friends/acquaintances could not count on to occur on a daily basis. Asian Americans can also not count on these things to occur on a daily basis:

Quote:
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.
10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.
11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.
12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.
14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.
16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.
17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.
18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.
19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.
25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.
26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.
28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.
29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.
30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have
31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.
32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.
33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.
34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.
36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.
37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.
38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.
39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.
40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.
42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.
43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.
44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.
45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.
46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.
47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us
48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.
49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.
50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.
Note, I highlighted those in particular that IMO would be applicable to being an Asian American in this country (note they are not the only ones, just ones that I felt were applicable).

In regards to 50 in particular, as noted, Asian Americans are seen as perpetual foreigners and oftentimes this means they are not accepted as a regular American.

On 10, I have friends who are Asian American who have complained about being ignored at work in regards to their suggestions. Asian American women, I know especially have had this occur since people expect Asians in general to be quiet and go along with whatever, and not to be strong leaders in the business world.

In regards to 25 it reminded me of a recent documentary I saw (Abacus: Small Enough to Jail), one that was nominated for an Oscar as well about a Chinese American credit union in NYC, which was the only financial institution where leaders were indicted on issues pertaining to fraud and the collapse of the housing markets leading to the recession in 2008. A little bitty credit union instead of all these major players that caused the collapse. IMO it being a Chinese American credit union had a hand in them being singled out.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurM0bile View Post
Asians work extremely hard. Also,their privilege is relative to whites rather parallel with whites. Asians have privilege over blacks and Hispanics easily. Asians are readily accepted. There are so few, that it's hard for many people to form negative opinions from interactions with them. Asians align themselves with whites via intermarriage and by association obtain such privilege as well.
BS why do you think they are more accepted than some minorities? It has nothing to do with how few of them there are. Just visit places like San Marino, Arcadia or So. Pasadena for starters. As for interracial marriage, this is no more common that blacks or Hispanics marrying whites except in your mind.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
Nope id argue they have less privilege than black americans

They need to score higher than other races in order to get into american colleges, med school

Not many Asians americans in CEO or executive positions in American corporations.

Not many Asians americans in political power, or as prosecutors, lawyers, judges.

Not many Asians Americans in nba, NFL, mlb, nhl

Not many Asians americans in entertainment industry as actors producers or directors or in charge of media companies.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You think it's just internment camps? That shows how little you know. How about the near slave labor of the Chinese building railroads in the 1800s? Did you know the Chinese were not allowed to own property in California until after WWII? You don't think Blacks and Hispanics discriminate against Asians? Don't try to pull that "read your history" crap you pull on everyone else.

Irish, Germans, and Russians are white! What point were you trying to make with that?

So your question is how can Asians discriminate against Blacks and Hispanics if they aren't privileged? What kind of twisted, leading question is that?
and their hard work in the CA wineries in the early 1900s. I do not see where they discriminate and you are right, it isn't only the camps, they suffered severely after and during WW2 whether Chinese, Japanese or what ever. Hubby and I lived in Gardena, a town so of L.A. in the 1960s. There were a lot of Asians living there as well as in Torrance. They have been able to become accepted because of their strong work ethics and their making a true attempt to become part of our society without expecting handouts or any special treatment. And I feel strongly, always have that anyone who works hard and does his/her best regardless of race will be accepted. Ok, we know this has not always been the case but in today's world it is.

Last edited by nmnita; 03-12-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Yeah but whites are held to a higher admissions standard than everyone else besides Asians. On top of that Asians are 5% of the population but 15-20% of the ivy league. While whites are about 65% of the population and under 50% of the ivy league. 3-4x Asian overrepresentation vs white underrepresentation. What the hell do they want everyone held to the same GPA and SAT scores as them or just whites? The former would create more Asian overrepresentation and almost no blacks and Hispanics, and the latter would cause even more white underrepresentation and have whites carry even more of the affirmative action load. Since Asians have over 5% of the ivy league enrollment they have nothing much to complain about. Asians grinds could back their nose of the studying grind stone and stop trying to monopolize the ivy league you know?

Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
BS why do you think they are more accepted than some minorities? It has nothing to do with how few of them there are. Just visit places like San Marino, Arcadia or So. Pasadena for starters. As for interracial marriage, this is no more common that blacks or Hispanics marrying whites except in your mind.

and their hard work in the CA wineries in the early 1900s. I do not see where they discriminate and you are right, it isn't only the camps, they suffered severely after and during WW2 whether Chinese, Japanese or what ever. Hubby and I lived in Gardena, a town so of L.A. in the 1960s. There were a lot of Asians living there as well as in Torrance. They have been able to become accepted because of their strong work ethics and their making a true attempt to become part of our society without expecting handouts or any special treatment. And I feel strongly, always have that anyone who works hard and does his/her best regardless of race will be accepted. Ok, we know this has not always been the case but in today's world it is.

They are more accepted by many whites in particular because they don't find Asian Americans to be threatening like they do black Americans.

I think its interesting the whole "work hard" thing when blacks have been working hard in this country for centuries yet we then and today are still thought of as "lazy" and wanting a handout (blacks were stereotyped as lazy during slavery lol). It is pretty hilarious to me. On handouts, Japanese Americans got reparations for their land being taken and they were the primary demographic who lobbied for Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month and Asians overwhelmingly support Affirmative Action programs for the workplace, they also do use public housing, Section 8, and other social services programs, yet you all don't view them as wanting "handouts."

It is also interesting that you mentioned they "attempt to become part of our society" when many Asian Americans have ancestry here longer than some white Americans or have been here for 2-4 generations, same as most white Americans. Black Americans actually have been here just as long as white Americans, yet many see us as foreign or in need of "assimilation."

As noted, Asian Americans are primarily used by certain types of persons to support those persons being prejudiced and racist against other minority groups. And these persons putting Asians on a pedestal, this actually is classic racism as noted earlier, as it is based upon a superior view of Asians versus either whites, blacks or Latinos. So people who view Asian Americans as "better" based on them being Asian are racist. I don't understand why many don't get this but I also understand that people water down the true meaning of "racism" today to fit some new-age-y definition of the word that has nothing to do with actual racism.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:02 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Here's another:

Medical school acceptance rates by race, GPA, and MCAT

Black:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321514...tablea24-2.pdf
Asian:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321516...tablea24-3.pdf
White:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518...tablea24-4.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...stablea24.html

If you're Asian, you'd need at least a 3.2GPA and/or 36 on the MCAT to have a 50% chance at getting in to Med school.

If you're Black, you'd need at least a 2.8GPA and/or 24 on the MCAT to have a 50% chance at getting in to Med school.

The top right obviously being the best and highest percentage, the Asian acceptance rate drops of much quicker than anyone else.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They are more accepted by many whites in particular because they don't find Asian Americans to be threatening like they do black Americans.

I think its interesting the whole "work hard" thing when blacks have been working hard in this country for centuries yet we then and today are still thought of as "lazy" and wanting a handout (blacks were stereotyped as lazy during slavery lol). It is pretty hilarious to me. On handouts, Japanese Americans got reparations for their land being taken and they were the primary demographic who lobbied for Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month and Asians overwhelmingly support Affirmative Action programs for the workplace, they also do use public housing, Section 8, and other social services programs, yet you all don't view them as wanting "handouts."

It is also interesting that you mentioned they "attempt to become part of our society" when many Asian Americans have ancestry here longer than some white Americans or have been here for 2-4 generations, same as most white Americans. Black Americans actually have been here just as long as white Americans, yet many see us as foreign or in need of "assimilation."

As noted, Asian Americans are primarily used by certain types of persons to support those persons being prejudiced and racist against other minority groups. And these persons putting Asians on a pedestal, this actually is classic racism as noted earlier, as it is based upon a superior view of Asians versus either whites, blacks or Latinos. So people who view Asian Americans as "better" based on them being Asian are racist. I don't understand why many don't get this but I also understand that people water down the true meaning of "racism" today to fit some new-age-y definition of the word that has nothing to do with actual racism.
It's based on Asians being more law abiding, not being confrontational and trashy, and being productive.

I don't consider Asians as better or not, I see them as unnecessary rat race competition and based on their voting patterns suspiciously counter culture. If you vote for god forsaken liberal, progressives then you are declaring yourself my enemy and the bane of my identity and culture's existence.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Here's another:

Medical school acceptance rates by race, GPA, and MCAT

Black:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321514...tablea24-2.pdf
Asian:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321516...tablea24-3.pdf
White:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518...tablea24-4.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...stablea24.html

If you're Asian, you'd need at least a 3.2GPA and/or 36 on the MCAT to have a 50% chance at getting in to Med school.

If you're Black, you'd need at least a 2.8GPA and/or 24 on the MCAT to have a 50% chance at getting in to Med school.

The top right obviously being the best and highest percentage, the Asian acceptance rate drops of much quicker than anyone else.
There's not a significant difference in standards between white and Asian. But the thing is Asians are applying and being accepted at 4x the white rate to medical school. Whites are basically given an underrepresented quota slice of 51% to compete for. If more whites tried to get in medical school the standards would just be raised for them.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:37 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
The Asian Americans whom I live around are predominantly South Asians, though other Asians are my neighbors, too. The point, the South Asians know nothing of exclusion, nor internment. The others Asians are first, second and in a few cases third generation Americans. What they all have in common is a strong central traditional family core that shapes them, supports them. When going or coming to the local library, I carry at most a half dozen books. My Asian American neighbors are carrying book bags full of books. No pedestal, but unequivocal observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Really weird analysis. Most Asian immigrants arrived after restrictions were removed in the 60's - and most of those immigrants were highly educated. Very few Asian Americans can trace their origins in the US back to the times of exclusion and internment. No doubt many Asian Americans work hard, but trying to negate privilege by putting one group on a pedestal is not entirely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies