Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,777,367 times

Advertisements

The War College is woke!

https://twitter.com/NavalWarCollege/...63141877702657
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:55 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,365,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If only vibranium really existed, Wakanda might have existed!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,704,459 times
Quote:
Did you see the film?

So you disagree? Ok.

That’s an opinion. But I highly doubt that’s the reason Coogler produced the film.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 PM

From the Washington Post article:
Quote:
Wakanda also is remarkable for its high level of technological advancement. Here, too, the film echoes themes from real life. Early post-independence leaders saw science and technology as a path to autonomy and respect. Demonstrating proficiency with modern technology was especially important to counter colonial claims that Africans were intellectually inferior and incapable of governing themselves.

For example, in the late 1950s, Ghana’s new government made establishing its own Atomic Energy Commission a high priority; in 1961, it even tried (unsuccessfully) to import a Soviet nuclear reactor to generate electricity and enable scientific experiments. …
...and Zambia had a space program.
Quote:
America and Russia may lose the race to the moon, according to Edward Mukaka Nkoloso, Director-General of the Zambia National Academy of Space Research.
His ten Zambian astronauts and a seventeen-year-old African girl are poised for the countdown. He said: "I'll have my first Zambian astronaut on the moon by 1965. My spacemen are ready, but we're having a few difficulties…we are using my own firing system, derived from the catapult."
Mr. Nkoloso continued: "To really get going we need about seven hundred million pounds. It sounds a lot of money, but imagine the prestige value it would earn for Zambia. But I've had trouble with my space-men and space-women. They won't concentrate on space-flight; there's too much love-making when they should be studying the moon. Matha Mwamba, the seventeen-year-old girl who had been chosen to be the first coloured woman on Mars, has also to feed her ten cats, who will be her companions on the long space flight… I'm getting them acclimatised to space-travel by placing them in my space-capsule every day. It's a 40-gallon oil drum in which they sit, and I then roll them down a hill. This gives them the feeling of rushing through space. I also make them swing from the end of a long rope. When they reach the highest point, I cut the rope – this produces a feeling of free fall."

Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 PM

29,610 posts, read 16,600,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If only vibranium really existed, Wakanda might have existed!
The article in the op is not about vibranium

Quote:
Wakanda’s position as independent, strong, wealthy and peaceful is a very useful way to illustrate how slavery and imperialism harmed Africa over the long term. For example, research demonstrates that slavery hurt African economic development; areas that lost more people are not only still poorer today, but are also more internally divided, have weaker political institutions and see higher rates of violence. Wakanda’s isolation would almost certainly have protected it from such effect

Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 PM

Joking aside, what does it mean when a place like the Naval War College starts tweeting out stuff this stupid? Are there any grownups left in the room?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,895,947 times
What gets me is the lying about the effects of history and insulting whites and making them the scapegoat is considered virtuous and politically correct. For how long and how far is this kind of stuff going to go on?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 AM

31,101 posts, read 22,149,783 times
Quote:
Joking aside, what does it mean when a place like the Naval War College starts tweeting out stuff this stupid? Are there any grownups left in the room?
What I want to know is the Wolverines claws made out of vibranium

Old 03-01-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What gets me is the lying about the effects of history and insulting whites and making them the scapegoat is considered virtuous and politically correct. For how long and how far is this kind of stuff going to go on?
Yes, anti-white racist rhetoric that was limited to radicals just a couple years ago is totally mainstream now. On the plus side though, it was nice to see that every single response to that tweet was critical. And now it seems to have been deleted.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,365,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The article in the op is not about vibranium
I know, but in order for a place like Wakanda to exist, with the colonization of Africa or without the colonization Africa, you need to have vibranium to exist, so they can have all that cool, advanced technology!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies