Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 03:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Especially the Congressional Republicans. Who are they trying to protect?

As Americans, we can take a hit, but with our market being the best destination for the world’s products, we can hit just as hard or harder. Why are we so afraid to make others cry uncle for once? Our workers and industries have been crying uncle for decades with no relief in sight...til now.

If many Americans take a big blow in a trade war, then we should simply step up to the plate and help take care of those that are adversely affected. That’s what strong nations are supposed to do.

I mean, so many Americans have no problems with actual physical wars where people are getting killed and we never win anything in the end, but we’re gonna punk out and tremble at the mere thought of a trade war? Please.

If the Chinese and Europeans want a trade war, let’s do it. I think we stand a good chance of winning it or at least getting a better bargain for our workers and our industries.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 03-03-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 03:15 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Especially the Congressional Republicans. Who are they trying to protect?..........
Which ones?
I haven't noticed any comments by any members of congress.

Please list the evil stupid fearful Republicans so we may join you in your outrage.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:17 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times
Hasn't your mom taught you? War is bad!

Old 03-03-2018, 03:19 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
We should make steel and aluminum in our country.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:20 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Especially the Congressional Republicans. Who are they trying to protect?

As Americans, we can take a hit, but with our market being the best destination for the world’s products, we can hit jut as hard or harder. Why are we so afraid to make others cry uncle for once? Our workers and industries have been crying uncle for decades with no relief in sight...til now.

If many Americans take a big blow in a trade war, then we should simply step up to the plate and help take care of those that are adversely affected. That’s what strong nations are supposed to do.

I mean, so many Americans have no problems with actual physical wars where people are getting killed and we never win anything in the end, but we’re gonna punk out and tremble at the mere thought of a trade war? Please.

If the Chinese and Europeans want a trade war, let’s do it. I think we stand a good chance of winning it or at least getting a better bargain for our workers and our industries.
I never thought I'd hear you say you're with Trump

While I do get the point that our market is something other countries will bargain to say active in, I have to say Trump is making me nervous with this trade war talk. On the other hand, I know Trump is brilliant and I hope he knows what he's doing on this one. If he can change unfair trade practices that hurt our workers, kudos to him.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
He's started talking "Reciprocal Taxes" which is where he'll head with this and I agree.

When China slaps a 90% tariff on Harley Davidson we should hit back with the same.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Historically trade wars have often led to shooting wars. The American Revolution was partly due to a trade war. That's why the Boston Tea Party involved dumping of product off of a Brit ship into the harbor. The Brits were trying to squeeze the colonists w/ trade policy.

WWI and WWII both stemmed partly from trade wars. German U-boats sank US (and others') merchant ships by U-boats. There was a trade war issue in WWII. Various countries had imposed tariffs on Japan, which needed to be able to export its goods in order to import raw materials that it could not get domestically.

This was actually one of my reasons why I did not vote for Trump. Trade wars often lead to shooting wars. I was born after WWII. I do not wish to see WWIII in my lifetime.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

While I do get the point that our market is something other countries will bargain to say active in, I have to say Trump is making me nervous with this trade war talk. On the other hand, I know Trump is brilliant and I hope he knows what he's doing on this one. If he can change unfair trade practices that hurt our workers, kudos to him.
I’m intellectually honest...that’s why I can say that I’m with Trump on issues that I agree with him on. This isn’t the first time I’ve OPENLY said that I’m with Trump on an issue. I’ve done so many times. Of course you’re surprised because if Obama was for something, you were automatically against it. That’s why you expect everyone else to be as partisan as you are.

Anyway, nervous for what? Bet you weren’t nervous about physical wars!

BTW...Trump isn’t brilliant. Let’s not get carried away.

He would’ve been a lot more successful in business if he were brilliant. Stop it. SMH

Old 03-03-2018, 03:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

I was listening to far-left talk host Thom Hartmann a couple days ago. After trashing Trump on several matters, he was very supportive re Trump's proposals of steel tariffs. I guess Hartmann thinks it's a benefit to union steel workers, which he presumably considers friends/allies.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Historically trade wars have often led to shooting wars. The American Revolution was partly due to a trade war. That's why the Boston Tea Party involved dumping of product off of a Brit ship into the harbor. The Brits were trying to squeeze the colonists w/ trade policy.

WWI and WWII both stemmed partly from trade wars. German U-boats sank US (and others') merchant ships by U-boats. There was a trade war issue in WWII. Various countries had imposed tariffs on Japan, which needed to be able to export its goods in order to import raw materials that it could not get domestically.

This was actually one of my reasons why I did not vote for Trump. Trade wars often lead to shooting wars. I was born after WWII. I do not wish to see WWIII in my lifetime.
If it leads to a shooting war, at least it’ll be the first time in over a century that the United States went to war for a worthy cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies