Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:07 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
In the DFW area, at least, the vast majority of the growth is in the ultra-conservative suburbs - not Dallas. Conservatives rule the rural and suburban areas, Democrats rule the cities (except Ft. Worth) which would be great for Democrats if it weren't a fact that Texas is a rural and suburban state. Texas will continue to look like little islands of blue surrounded by a sea of red. And the red is more than tumbleweeds and cows - it's where the majority of Texans live.

Texas will continue to grow and gain electoral votes, but it won't turn purple or blue for a very long time, if ever.
Two out of three Texans 19 or younger are minorities. Keep whistling past the graveyard.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06...se-generation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:08 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I agree with the OP 100% based on personal experience here in North Carolina.

I have to say.
  • Here in the Charlotte metro the roads are perpetually clogged with new people arriving every single day from the NE and West coast.
  • They can't build mass transit & roads fast enough.
  • Houses sell as soon as they are listed and above asking price.
  • New construction everywhere.
  • North Carolina is guaranteed to score another electoral vote after 2020.
And NC will be voting Red for the foreseeable future for any national seat.
Fine with all these points but how on earth do you know NC will vote red only? Not buying that.. It was blue in 2008 and 2012

Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The writing is on the wall... The GOP is doomed.
That's what I heard from 2008-10. Never regain house, never win presidency, doooooooooomed.

Thanks for the comedy relief.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The influx of people might turn those areas blue.
Precisely. Unless the influx is a mass of retirees, the influx is moving to where the jobs and opportunities are: the cities. Cities are almost always more liberal than rural areas, regardless of the state.

The OP should be careful what they wish for. As cities grow, the liberal city populations might eventually overwhelm the conservative rural populations, turning the red state into a blue state. Colorado was a red state 20 years ago; now it is mainly blue because of fast-growing Denver. Fast-growing red states like Texas and North Carolina might flip to blue in a decade or two.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:16 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Trump is the best thing that ever happened to Democrats (and by extension blue states).
I wish I had your cheery outlook. That's like being happy about getting possibly fatal disease because at least you're losing weight!

Meanwhile, he's passing legislation.

Also, apparently you're either deluded or not serious when you claim he's "causing permanent damage" because here you are happy.

Lastly, Trump is such a bombastic singular figure he's going to be much easier to separate from that just another figure. He also fights with the GOP establishment and prominent figures. They're going to have an easier time separating from him in 2018 and 2020 that you'd be capable of admitting to.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Did you have a point?
As I stated in my earlier post: one should not draw conclusions about political parties based on such surveys. I do not, for instance, think that Republicans are, as a group, less educated than Democrats, although some Democrats would, out of malice, post my link about the 'least educated states', and gleefully point to how they are mainly 'red states'. There are, obviously, many factors that go into such reports, with political persuasion probably not one of the factors.

Hence, (as I said) I believe one should not be drawn into the OP's apparent claim about "Red States Dominant" in the last of fast-growing cities, and making the conclusion that it proves some sort of superiority of Republicans over Democrats (or other political parties). There are many factors, with political leaning probably not being a significant factor in these cities growth.

Again, a malicious Democrat could start a thread showing that the top ten states in suicide rates are mainly 'Red' states (only Oregon, I believe, out of the 10, would be considered Blue):

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...tes-in-us.html

I would reject any assertion that Republicans in these states are more prone to suicide than Democrats in other states. I would bet that political standing has nothing to do with it. More than likely, drug usage, alcoholism, financial woes (looking at Nevada), and lack of mental health care are deciding factors.

In summary, I have cited other 'surveys' to show how idiotic I think it is to look at some such chart, and try to claim some superiority of one political party over another.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Fine with all these points but how on earth do you know NC will vote red only? Not buying that.. It was blue in 2008 and 2012
Nope.

NC voted for Romney in 2012.

And The Democrat Senator elected with Obama is now a GOP Senator in what was the most expensive Senate race in US History. Democrats badly wanted to keep it.

Of course Hillary got her pantsuit beaten off here. It wasn't for lack of trying either. This in a state that DID for for a Democrat for governor.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Hence, (as I said) I believe one should not be drawn into the OP's apparent claim about "Red States Dominant" in the last of fast-growing cities,

Again, a malicious Democrat could start a thread showing that the top ten states in suicide rates are mainly 'Red' states (only Oregon, I believe, out of the 10, would be considered Blue): .
The first statement is a fact. One can come to one's own opinion on what it means.

In regards to your second statement, you realize you just called yourself a malicious Democrat. (you shouldn't be too hard on yourself) It's an fallacious point anyway to the topic at hand.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Sure, but they're being made more blue in the process.
Yes, red states are attracting blue-state voters. But they don't stay red.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Sorry I offended your liberal ideals.
You didn't offend my liberal ideals, but you did offend my preference for unbiased data analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies